Nunchaku : wood, foam or rubber ?

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi there

I want to buy a nunchaku for home training
I have no idea how to use it, and don't plan to go take "real" lesson, it's just something I would like to try for fun (no offense intented for people doing real training and serious nunchak)

I would like your advice about which one to buy.
I see there's various length, which one is better ?
I've read that wood is better than foam because of the weight, but foam is better because of lesser risks of injury. Is foam that a bad idea ? Is wood that a bad idea as I don't consider myself foolish and wouldn't try to do bruce lee style (at least right away ^^)
I found one made of rubber. It seems to be a good compromise, as it's quite heavy, and less dangerous. Want do you think about it ?

Finally, I tend to buy one with chain (don't ask me why, I just find it better). Is it really better than rope ?

Thanks for your advices

BR
Aiseant

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just some thoughts.

Wood, start slow. (Figure 8 both hands) at first.
Chain, won't get cut.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Since you said you really don't have any experience with using nunchaku then I would definitely recommend starting out with foam.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wood for the weight but wear a head and groin guard and practice in a big field! Try the tri staff next, easy to get going sooo hard to stop!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
As a beginner with nanchuku, I've managed to give myself bruises and a headache with all three. I like the safety (relative) of the foam but I don't think there is enough mass, they tend to bounce off my hand. I'm considering drilling out the ends and "pegging" them with hot glue to increase the mass at the tips and still have foam. Any suggestions?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are always different trains of thought, and from old school thinking I mentioned wood. I should add that solo training, wood is unforgiving but teaches you to respect the weapon and not get to fancy.
Training with a partner may at first require a more forgiving foam rubber one at first.

I have seen some pretty crazy stuff over the years, so I guess it depends on what your motivation to train with the weapon in the first place is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest consideration is where you are going to train. It's relatively easy to pick up a few basic moves but they are always going to fly out of your hands at some point and the damage, if done in a house, can be a bit more than your fellow occupiers might like. If you live alone of course and don't have ornaments, televisions etc you treasure it won't matter. You do need a clear space around you even for the foam ones.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi there

I want to buy a nunchaku for home training
I have no idea how to use it, and don't plan to go take "real" lesson, it's just something I would like to try for fun (no offense intented for people doing real training and serious nunchak)

Hi :) No offense taken and likewise please take no offense at my comments - but, how do you plan to 'train' at home without a legitimate instructor?? I can see upcoming boredom, frustration, etc..if you're planning on doing this solo....I don't know if you train in any form of martial art, but I can tell you that I started training with chucks once I earned my black belt in tkd and if you have any visions of being 'good' you'll probably need an instructor

If you have no intention of getting some help with this, I would say buy the foam kind and have fun - but I would not make a serious investment without a sincere commitment.

All Respect

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The biggest consideration is where you are going to train. It's relatively easy to pick up a few basic moves but they are always going to fly out of your hands at some point and the damage, if done in a house, can be a bit more than your fellow occupiers might like. If you live alone of course and don't have ornaments, televisions etc you treasure it won't matter. You do need a clear space around you even for the foam ones.

:) you're preaching to the choir.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you're looking for them as toys, I'd suggest plastic. With flashing lights. And maybe some cool sounds...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How good is your medical insurance?

If your answer is:
"Insurance? What's that?" -- get foam.
"It's OK... but I'm nowhere near meeting my deductible." -- get the rubber ones.
"Insurance? My doctors pay me for the honor of treating me!" -- go with wood.

If you own stock in an aspirin (or other headache remedy) company -- go with the wooden ones.

Slightly more seriously -- you're looking to play with 'em. You might as well get wooden 'chucks. I'd go with the rope, not chain, since it's usually cheaper. And buy that aspirin... 'cause you'll need it.

OP
A

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I apologize to any pro guitarist, for learning few strings by myself and having fun singing. I apologize to any pro jungler for learning few jungles between two electronic classes at highschool. Something like 80% of people here can also throw rocks at me, for learning english with videogames and the beatles because it was useful -instead of the beauty of shakespeare. ... maaan, the list is so long I'm not even sure I could post a message that long ... :wink1:

Dirty Dog, Seriously ? I don't disrespect nunchaku art and people really working hard on it, and I said it in my very first message. So why disrespect my demand ?
The very fact I'm here asking for advice is showing that I don't think nunchaku a simple matter or a toy ... If so, I would buy whatever I think look nice, or will be like some, very proud when showing the black and gold tiger engraved pair of nunchakus I don't even know how to hold, hanging on my wall.

But seriously, it's hard to respect you when you're posting this kind of ... answer.

Did you consider that maybe I'll not take lesson of nunchaku because it's non-existant in my area ? The only solution would need 2h to go for 45min of ridiculously overpriced class given by people liking nothing more than being called Master while wearing falsely asiatic shirts ? I wouldn't take lesson in those conditions, so I shall not do nunchaku ?

Considering your answer to my very simple request, I cannot help but wonder what you have to say to someone staying seated on their hands while yawning "pheew, I always wanted to learn but I'll never try because I don't know how to do".

Thanks to people who provided some thought on the matter. I need to get a long stick for hapkido and the only place (irl) I found only sold foam nunchakus, so I guess it'll be it. I'll stick with very basics as long as I cannot train, so I hope flying nunchak will not kill my cat :D
I'm still considering buying a rubber one on the internet, to measure how heavy it should be and take some bruises ... it always makes you smarter.

"Insurance? My doctors pay me for the honor of treating me!" -- go with wood.
:lol:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I apologize to any pro guitarist, for learning few strings by myself and having fun singing. I apologize to any pro jungler for learning few jungles between two electronic classes at highschool. Something like 80% of people here can also throw rocks at me, for learning english with videogames and the beatles because it was useful -instead of the beauty of shakespeare. ... maaan, the list is so long I'm not even sure I could post a message that long ... :wink1:

Dirty Dog, Seriously ? I don't disrespect nunchaku art and people really working hard on it, and I said it in my very first message. So why disrespect my demand ?
The very fact I'm here asking for advice is showing that I don't think nunchaku a simple matter or a toy ... If so, I would buy whatever I think look nice, or will be like some, very proud when showing the black and gold tiger engraved pair of nunchakus I don't even know how to hold, hanging on my wall.

But seriously, it's hard to respect you when you're posting this kind of ... answer.

Did you consider that maybe I'll not take lesson of nunchaku because it's non-existant in my area ? The only solution would need 2h to go for 45min of ridiculously overpriced class given by people liking nothing more than being called Master while wearing falsely asiatic shirts ? I wouldn't take lesson in those conditions, so I shall not do nunchaku ?

Considering your answer to my very simple request, I cannot help but wonder what you have to say to someone staying seated on their hands while yawning "pheew, I always wanted to learn but I'll never try because I don't know how to do".

Thanks to people who provided some thought on the matter. I need to get a long stick for hapkido and the only place (irl) I found only sold foam nunchakus, so I guess it'll be it. I'll stick with very basics as long as I cannot train, so I hope flying nunchak will not kill my cat :D
I'm still considering buying a rubber one on the internet, to measure how heavy it should be and take some bruises ... it always makes you smarter.

For the record, the best guitarists I know are predominantly self tought. To become exceptional at something requires an inate talent coupled with bone wearying practice. Nothing more. I believe that this site lives up to it's reputation as "friendly discussion" on the whole. It doesn't mean that strongly held opinions aren't strongly defended. I doubt that it was any ones intent to make you feel personally attacked. Best of luck with nanchuku, I feel your pain.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

First, glad you're going with foam, if you don't have a teacher those are the safest. As far as your comments in this post..in my mind there's a difference between learning MA and other things by yourself, I learned drums predominantly by myself, I was halftaught japanese by my ex-gf, then we broke up and I learned more by myself, as you said the list is long so I won't continue. HOWEVER, I would never try to learn a weapon by myself, there are too many things you may not think of when learning, and may end up hurting yourself for not knowing proper safety precautions (ex:properly 'catching' a nunchaku). Dirty dog made a bit of a jape/sarcastic remark like normal, but he has a point. Without getting training for something like a weapon without proper training, you'll probably miss so many uses it might as well be a toy. You can even use youtube videos or something to get a general idea on how to use them (dont support this, but its better than nothing), but you'll miss so much without some sort of training.

ks - learning to fly

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since you're looking for them as toys, I'd suggest plastic. With flashing lights. And maybe some cool sounds...

In all fairness, I have to defend Dirty Dog here....I don't think he's trying to disrespect you for asking for advice - I think he's stating a fact. If
"it's just something I would like to try for fun " - then - it's a toy...and by all means get plastic, or foam and go nuts...

2nd : "Is wood that a bad idea as I don't consider myself foolish and wouldn't try to do bruce lee style (at least right away ^^)"

- Do you have easy, cheap access to a LOT of ibuprofen???? My starter chucks - from my teacher - were foam so to add some
weight for 'realism' - I removed the end cap and added some caulk to the inside of the tube -worked for me.

3rd: "The only solution would need 2h to go for 45min of ridiculously overpriced class given by people liking nothing more than being called Master while wearing falsely asiatic shirts ? I wouldn't take lesson in those conditions, so I shall not do nunchaku ?"

While it's unfortunate this may be the closest or cheapest in your area, PLEASE do not judge all instructors based only on your limited experience!! Many wonderful instructors - including mine - have spent the majority of their lives training and studying their art to be able to teach and watch their students grow and flourish into the martial artists of their given potential.

Granted, there are some things that can be picked up without the aid of serious study - but in the interest of safety and well being - some that can't include

MARTIAL ARTS
SCUBA DIVING
SKY DIVING
DOWN HILL SKI RACING

I think you get the idea!;)

So, again I stand in defense of the 'Dog's answer - I am sure his comical brevity wasn't intended to be disrespectful, rather - a gentle - hey pal, "right - chucks aren't toys" - but if you DO want a toy..well....

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guitars don't have the possibility of giving yourself nasty knock or concussion if you get a chord wrong. Singing badly can be detrimental to your vocal cords, but that's still not the same thing. What you're talking about here is buying a WEAPON in order to play with it, without any training, any intention of getting or seeking any training, or any real understanding, knowledge, or experience with it. The excuse of "there's no one around me to teach me" is, bluntly, completely besides the point. I don't have anyone around me to teach me how to do stunt driving... I'm hardly about to get in my car and just try in myself. If there's no-one around to teach you, you can't learn it. And, if you approach a community of martial artists, all of whom have made large and small sacrifices or compromises to train in their own lives, ranging from giving up a few nights of socializing a week to moving to completely different countries in order to learn these methods, you really should expect such responces, no matter how much you think it's reasonable to "explain" yourself.

Weapons aren't toys. We won't just necessarily condone such usage, you realize. If you want to treat them as such, that's up to you. But, if you do, don't be upset when we give advise that amounts to "buy a toy if you want a toy".

OP
A

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not judging every teacher based on what I saw, but you didn't get my point : in my area, it's the only thing I can get, so I'm not considering taking lessons. I think you don't realize how lucky you can be to find a lot of dojang of various arts where you live or not too far away. As for me, I don't have the choice (and it's the case of many people, depending on which country they're living in).

For the rest, even if I can understand how you guys feel, you don't answer my question and if someone looks for info and get this thread, he'll be stuck in those considerations instead of having answer to the inital question, which is wrong. I wasn't really asking for consideration about taking or not classes for weapons, mainly because as I said, there's none available where I'm. Opening another thread to discuss this would have been a way better idea, and I would have participate on the debate with a very different attitude and gladly. Moreover, with a distinctive title for this discussion, more people would have been able to participate and give opinion. Even worst : now, no one would give advice about which material for nunchaku, and why, as their ideas would be lost in another discussion. Wrong again.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not judging every teacher based on what I saw, but you didn't get my point : in my area, it's the only thing I can get, so I'm not considering taking lessons. I think you don't realize how lucky you can be to find a lot of dojang of various arts where you live or not too far away. As for me, I don't have the choice (and it's the case of many people, depending on which country they're living in).

For the rest, even if I can understand how you guys feel, you don't answer my question and if someone looks for info and get this thread, he'll be stuck in those considerations instead of having answer to the inital question, which is wrong. I wasn't really asking for consideration about taking or not classes for weapons, mainly because as I said, there's none available where I'm. Opening another thread to discuss this would have been a way better idea, and I would have participate on the debate with a very different attitude and gladly. Moreover, with a distinctive title for this discussion, more people would have been able to participate and give opinion. Even worst : now, no one would give advice about which material for nunchaku, and why, as their ideas would be lost in another discussion. Wrong again.
Advice has been given to you regarding which one you should buy if you insist on buying one. However, people who care about the safety of others wont just sit back and let them do potentially dangerous things without warning them about the possible dangers, and the possible ineffectiveness of their actions. Just because not all the responses answer your exact question in a way you wanted an answer doesnt mean you shouldnt heed the responses, or that they dont pertain to the thread or anyone with a similar question. You got an answer and no ones been rude to you or out of line, so I really dont understand what you're getting so angry about.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Okay, time to be blunt again.

If there's no teacher nearby for you to go to, you can't learn it, and shouldn't be trying to teach yourself to use a potentially damaging weapon by playing around with one. It really doesn't matter where you are, if there isn't a teacher, there isn't a teacher. End of story.

If someone in a similar situation to yourself reads this thread, hopefully they'll get the same message: weapons aren't toys, and shouldn't be treated as such. Do not try to teach yourself.

If someone with an instructor reads this thread, frankly, they should be asking their instructor as to what is best for them at their level, as the instructor will know better than a bunch of strangers on a forum.

As an aside, a "dojang" for Nunchaku? A Korean school to teach Okinawan arts? I'd avoid just based on that...

But, in the end, if you don't have a school, you can't learn. And, if you're not really learning, you don't need anything like real weapons. So the material is rather moot, in the end. The only real thing we can suggest is to choose a safe(r) material, such as foam, to minimize your chance of breaking your own nose, but don't mistake anything like that as actually learning or training with the weapon.

Latest Discussions