Northern Mantis Demo

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
monster123 said:
Very impressive techniques. However, one must go beyond application and into sparring. For instance, in wrestling when you learn how to do a double leg takedown on a willing partner, it is an entirely different situation when you wrestle for real. Even if you have the techniques and mechanics down, you will have to make attempt after attemp before you can accomplish the takedown.
And some of the techniques in the video clip looks tricky. The willing partner is holding his arm out letting the instructor perform those moves on him. When you punch you extend the arm and quickly retract, not hold it out there. So the techniques have to be accomplished in that split second when a guy's arm is fully extended before he retracts it. If I see the instructor do that in a sparring situation that would be very impressive.
7 star PM is a 'reversed engineered' art. meaning it came from application first, then the techniques and forms where created afterwards. You may not see this kind of cooperation from the opponent in sparring or in a real fight, but you will definitely see a high percentage of grabbing and sticking.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
monster123 said:
I try to find a clip of praying mantis sparring on youtube.com. I found one, but it is still not sparring though, but it does sort of look like what you might find in a real street fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlPNrSDuqs&search=praying%20mantis%20kung-fu

Thats a good video, I posted it before here. Its some good quick drills. The focus of mantis is to be as quick and brutal as possible. A sparring session should end pretty quick if either opponent is skilled. The longer the engagement the higher your chances of getting hurt are. You wont see long drawn out back and forth point type sparring in mantis kung fu. I'll see if I can't find some quick fighting videos or something online, probably not alot out there credible though.

7sm

ekaltenborn

White Belt
Reaction score
If you keep looking on mytube, There is quite a bit of mantis footage on there.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ekaltenborn said:
If you keep looking on mytube, There is quite a bit of mantis footage on there.

Did you mean youtube? Feel free to post some here, I have a hard time finding anything worthwhile on there.

7sm

Camelkie

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes I found that too. Looks like he studied with the famous (or infamous according to whom you listen too) Kai Uwe Pel.

7sm

Hi,

A view words of true.:)
Marek Piechotka was studied with great Master Yu Tiancheng. Master Yu Tiancheng die in 2004. Now Piechotka is studing with brother Yu Tiancheng - Yu Tian Lu. Both broders studies with grand master Lin Jing Shan.

Below a few links of show in musem by Kung-Fu Akademy in Polen:

- Yan Qing dao
- Tiao hua san
-Pu Dao
- Tanglang jian - in execution Shifu Marek Piechotka
- Tanglang technics -too
- Shuang dao dui schuang toe she -too

and Beng Bu by Shifu Marek Piechotka:

If You have any more question please wrote :supcool:

Best regards
Camelkie

Last edited by a moderator:

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi,

A view words of true.:)
Marek Piechotka was studied with great Master Yu Tiancheng. Master Yu Tiancheng die in 2004. Now Piechotka is studing with brother Yu Tiancheng - Yu Tian Lu. Both broders studies with grand master Lin Jing Shan.

Below a few links of show in musem by Kung-Fu Akademy in Polen:

- Yan Qing dao
- Tiao hua san
-Pu Dao
- Tanglang jian - in execution Shifu Marek Piechotka
- Tanglang technics -too
- Shuang dao dui schuang toe she -too

and Beng Bu by Shifu Marek Piechotka:

If You have any more question please wrote :supcool:

Best regards
Camelkie

Thanks for the links and welcome to Martial Talk. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
WOAH! amazing!
i loved their peach flower form, thanks for sharing all these guys

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the link, its always great to see tong long in action.

take care,
Chang

Latest Discussions