No Strength!!!! (or "Stop Sucking!!!")

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although there is still a big difference between artificial speed and timing training, and real speed and timing training.

I totally disagree! Speed and timing are speed and timing, regardless of it's environment! Artificial light has the same speed and timing as natural light.

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
I totally disagree! Speed and timing are speed and timing, regardless of it's environment! Artificial light has the same speed and timing as natural light.

LOL, being as we are not light.....I dont know that the analogy works.

Look....essentially you are talking about pretending to move at real speeds while moving at slow speeds.

This is completly artificial, obviously.
I'm not saying its un-necessary or without benefits.

For one, mental processing at real speeds determines timing at real speeds. If you cannot process at real speeds, the timing will not work the same.

If you always train at an artificial speed, your mind will be trained to compute at that level.

Seattletcj

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you cannot process at real speeds, you have NOT trained long enough at slow speeds. So of course the timing will not feel the same! :rolleyes:

One does not get good timing at playing basketball by playing in slow motion.
Judoka are not able to perform with timing because of slow motion training.

This is common sense stuff.
It takes heavy indoctrination to override this kind of common sense.

Anyway, I analogize for somewhat de-railing the thread.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time of it !!! During the last year or so with my training, I have been using body strength in my taijutsu to make up for suck-*** body dynamic and movement/kukan. As a nidan in BBT/N, i would like to at least look like I'm not trying to embarass myself when called upon to demo. Also, having B/GJJ in my backgroung dosen't sem to help the fact that lately I've been moving like a pregnant yak. On crack.
My Shidoshi(s) tell me to "keep training" and "ride it out", but (with due love/respect to them), I'm starting to get real antsy, as warriors often operate in less-than-ideal situations (i.e. when injured, when tired, inclimate weather, when being pursued, having to take out an attacker, etc.).
As rank means almost nothing to me, I am not ashamed to say that there are times when I feel as though I don't know what the hell I'm doing, and that I need help. Any (serious) advise would be appreciated.

Serious Advice:

Pfffft!. For anyone telling you to go slower or less muscled.... who cares.

Seriously, train hard and muscle-y. This is a phase you go through before you come back down off of it.

I suspect (no proof here) that when you are going hard, fast, and strong - - no one in the class can handle you.

Find someone who can. Train train train.

You will come out of it eventually. Naturally.

-Daniel

PS. Yeah this is going to ruffle feathers. Pffffft. ;-)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Serious Advice:

Pfffft!. For anyone telling you to go slower or less muscled.... who cares.

Seriously, train hard and muscle-y. This is a phase you go through before you come back down off of it.

I suspect (no proof here) that when you are going hard, fast, and strong - - no one in the class can handle you.

Find someone who can. Train train train.

You will come out of it eventually. Naturally.

Most people don't stop being muscle-y, hard, and fast even when told to not do that. It takes time and they eventually achieve it, even though being coached. So, one could conclude it does happen naturally to some extent. I can see where you are coming, although you didn't elaborate about all the potential bad habits that will need to be gotten rid of, with that approach.

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Most people don't stop being muscle-y, hard, and fast even when told to not do that. It takes time and they eventually achieve it, even though being coached. So, one could conclude it does happen naturally to some extent. I can see where you are coming, although you didn't elaborate about all the potential bad habits that will need to be gotten rid of, with that approach.

Sorry - a bit more elaboration:

I think there is a tendency in this art to focus WAY too early on the elderly stage of training.

I wonder if there aren't a LOT of negative repercussions to acting like a 75 yr old japanese guy when you are 30. He certainly didn't when he was 30.

On the same topic - I also wonder if the reasons so many people are told to slow down - no power -- is just raw insecurity that a low kyu would kick the crap out of the mega-dans.

Or maybe not. LOL

Whatever.

-Daniel

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think there is a tendency in this art to focus WAY too early on the elderly stage of training.

I wonder if there aren't a LOT of negative repercussions to acting like a 75 yr old japanese guy when you are 30. He certainly didn't when he was 30.

Interesting point of view.

On the same topic - I also wonder if the reasons so many people are told to slow down - no power -- is just raw insecurity that a low kyu would kick the crap out of the mega-dans.

Or maybe not. LOL

Whatever.

Who knows..... Some could be doing it for that reason, I suppose, although I haven't seen it.... yet.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Or maybe not. LOL

Whatever.

-Daniel

I do have to agree with you Daniel in that one should act ones age and yet I also agree that one should attempt to work technique first but...... if you have the power, strength, speed, etc. that can come into play in the moment to give you an advantage.
icon6.gif

BigShadow I have seen what Daniel talks about here. There are some people hiding behind rank, technique, etc. and some people do need to get hit a little more in an unexpected way to toughen up.