No love for the ridgehand?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of things I've often wondered about MMA is,

Why don't MMA fighters use ridgehands to the head? (At least, I haven't SEEN any used ...)

• The ridgehand strike is one of the most powerful hand strikes there is (IMO, THE most powerful hand strike). It very well may be the ONLY hand strike that hits as hard as a kick. I can throw it full power with no concern of injury.

• Unlike a lot of other TMA techniques, the ridgehand is EASY to learn and to do.

• It comes in from the same direction as a hook, but has more range. Granted, it is easier to block than a hook because it is a straight(er) arm, but it is no easier to block than a roundhouse kick — and a WHOLE lot easier to throw!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe the ridgehand is an illegal blow by the rules set forth for MMA competition or atleast I was told that.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder as I have not heard that. However, I will say this that it is an incredibly powerful technique and when done well lends to great knockouts.
icon14.gif
(that is from first hand knocking people out experience)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's legal as far as I know, it's just not used. Hammer fists are though, ridge hands I would not really consider as being a good weapon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's legal as far as I know, it's just not used. Hammer fists are though, ridge hands I would not really consider as being a good weapon.

The funny thing is Andrew is that I have knocked out or stunned just about everyone that I have spared with one. So it definately is effective in my book. I see it as kind've like the overhand right. (another favorite of mine) Very big motion and leaves you open if you miss but when you land. (ouch :erg:)

The idea is to throw either when the opponent cannot defend as their weight is on the heels, etc. If you do that then you can certainly use it. Heck I have played around with it for years against boxer, kickboxers, MMA, BJJ, TKD, TSD, etc. All with the same result. However through it at the wrong time and you are looking at some hurt.
icon9.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that's kinda the problem, if it goes wrong, I see it leading to injuring yourself, esspecially the fingers. The strike I find best lands with the wrist, not the meaty mart of the hand anyways, and with gloves on that makes even more sense. So why not close the hand and call it a hammer fist? Basically the same strike, but protecting the fingers a little better.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
that's kinda the problem, if it goes wrong, I see it leading to injuring yourself, esspecially the fingers. The strike I find best lands with the wrist, not the meaty mart of the hand anyways, and with gloves on that makes even more sense. So why not close the hand and call it a hammer fist? Basically the same strike, but protecting the fingers a little better.

For some reason throwing the hammer fist that way's slows it down a bit. (just my impression) However if you do not know when to throw it you are going to get hammered when you miss. I use quite a few different ways to set it and the overhand right up. The Superman punch ala Hughes is similar as well in that you are open when coming in. However throw it at the right time and the payoff is big.
icon14.gif

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, one thing about MMA is it is a whatever you can make work within the rules is fair game. Eventually I'm sure someone will give it a try if it hasn't already been done.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, one thing about MMA is it is a whatever you can make work within the rules is fair game. Eventually I'm sure someone will give it a try if it hasn't already been done.

It has been done in the past. Keith Hackney comes to mind with Emanuel Yarborough. Personally I would prefer the overhand right as you are a little less open and yet the ridgehand gives as big or more of a payday when it hits.

OP
zDom

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not familiar with that terminology, Freep ... define 'em for me.

Andrew: ridgehand is with the thumb side of the hand, with the weapon being the side of hand, from the knuckles back, or the wrist.

Injury to the fingers really isn't a risk, AFAIK.

FWIW, we consider hammer first to be the pinky side of the hand.

I don't know why the ridgehand (open) hand position is more powerful...but it is (at least for me) than a clenched fist using the thumb side of the hand.

My experience with the ridgehand is much as Brian described: it is a knockout technique. In controlled sparring, it is one of the techniques that "get away" from people and end up hitting much harder than intended.

Different than the overhand right, though, in that overhand right comes in at the front of the head/face while the ridgehand comes in at the side of the head, like a hook.

Target the temple or the nerve center below the year for the best results, but even a shot to the thick part of the skull is stunning.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use two ridgehands

The swinging ridgehand (not a formal name, just a description) comes from the side. You twist your shoulders and kinda lead the strike with your right (striking side) shoulder. The arm drags a bit behind and you swing it wide to strike the target from the side. You can also invert it a bit to come down on the target (so you could swing it down on a clavicle, for example). Similar to a hook. Also against the temple.

The straight ridgehand comes straight from the chin (our punches come straight from the chin, not swinging out in a hooking motion). The straight ridge hand follows the same path. The only differnce is that since you are thrusting your flat hand at the target, you turn your hand out a bit so you are still striking with the thumb side of the hand from a straight arm. A favorite target pf this one is the brachial shot on the side of the neck/throat

Odin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
One of things I've often wondered about MMA is,

Why don't MMA fighters use ridgehands to the head? (At least, I haven't SEEN any used ...)

• The ridgehand strike is one of the most powerful hand strikes there is (IMO, THE most powerful hand strike). It very well may be the ONLY hand strike that hits as hard as a kick. I can throw it full power with no concern of injury.

• Unlike a lot of other TMA techniques, the ridgehand is EASY to learn and to do.

• It comes in from the same direction as a hook, but has more range. Granted, it is easier to block than a hook because it is a straight(er) arm, but it is no easier to block than a roundhouse kick — and a WHOLE lot easier to throw!

for one im a fighter and i have no idea what move were talking baout here ( :

thats proberly the biggest reason. ( :

OP
zDom

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
for one im a fighter and i have no idea what move were talking baout here ( :

thats proberly the biggest reason. ( :

Aw, don't worry about it. If you haven't seen it before, it probably isn't "effective" ;)

/end friendly sarcasm

Joking aside, I'll see what I can do to get a short vid clip of me smacking a heavy bag with one to post.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So a straight ridge is somewhat of a spear hand motion. I may as well just spear in the throat for that matter. I like the ridge hand as a finishing strike, or I use it with a two handed front choke escape, kinda like the karate kid painting up and down motion.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score

OK, please teach an old dog something here, zDom (or whoever else wants to contribute). I learned, have used, and have taught the ridgehand for a long time--but to mostly soft targets. To the head in sparring--OK, I'll grant that for points (but I don't really care about points anymore, just my personal style), and the other guy has padding on his head anyway, so my hand is protected.

So I guess this brings me to the point of confusion (like I don't live there, all the time :)). Could you expound a little on just what makes this so powerful as a head strike; and, how the small bones in the strking hand are not punished more than the opponent's hard head?

Thanks, appreciate it.

~kidswarrior

OP
zDom

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Could you expound a little on just what makes this so powerful as a head strike; and, how the small bones in the strking hand are not punished more than the opponent's hard head?

I guess the power is all from the hip motion + pectoral pulling across.

I use the wrist area for hard targets. I've seen people break concrete with ridgehands (I prefer not to, personally!)

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess the power is all from the hip motion + pectoral pulling across.

I use the wrist area for hard targets. I've seen people break concrete with ridgehands (I prefer not to, personally!)

OK, thanks.

Latest Discussions