No idea where to start by a total newb

Discussion in 'Beginners Corner' started by Onyx02, May 1, 2020.

1. Onyx02

Onyx02 White Belt

Hello all!
    I finally had a glimpse of motivation today to finally start learning martial arts.
    The problem is that I have NO idea where to start. The only thing I know is that I am really interested in Shaolin Kung-fu but I'll be glad if you recommend me some other easy-to-master begginer martial arts too.
    Could someone help me with some guides or routine just whatever to help me getting started?
    Thank you all so much for your help.

2. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Wrestling is the building blocks of fighting. Any martial arts you do with a wrestling background you will be better at.

3. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Well right now you just have to sit tight and wait for this BS to get lost but in the meantime work on your fitness and your strength and research styles that might be of Interest to you. Don't listen to the comments of this is better, no that's better, this is the best, that style is rubbish etc. That's all just people's ego trying to big up their own style. Just choose one that's both affordable, convinient and you have some interest in. Then once this rubbish is over and clubs are open again then get just jump in and go from there

4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
  5. ShortBridge

ShortBridge 2nd Black Belt

And, it really matters what is available to you. I remember being in your position and not wanting that to be true, but in the end it's going to come down to you training in a group with a good teacher and you can only chose from the things available near you. So, I'd start by either letting us know what town you're from, so that we can recommend things that we know of there or spend the weekend searching on-line and locating teachers and studios open within a reasonable drive for you and then let us know what you have to choose from.

You'll get some biased advice by people who feel strongly about what they do. But, you'll also get some neutral perspective. Then you go visit a few places and see what feels right to you.

6. Onyx02

Onyx02 White Belt

Well that's one of the things I probably should've write in the post too.. I'd like to be self taught. I'm kinda antisocial and don't want to go on training with some other people and everything.. Plus I don't think there are any training schools like at all, at least not what I'm interested in the most (japanese classical arts). I'm from a small town in Moravia in the Czech republic.

7. Monkey Turned Wolf

Monkey Turned Wolf MT Moderator Staff Member

Martial arts is something you can't really do by yourself. You need feedback from an instructor, along with feedback from other people (resistance training/sparring/grappling). As a temporary measure you can, but at some point you'll need to go to actual lessons, and if you start off self-taught you'll have to unlearn a lot of bad habits.

The only thing I can think of that would work self-taught is modern wushu, mainly because that's more acrobatics/gymnastics than martial arts.

8. KenpoMaster805

KenpoMaster805 Brown Belt

I think American Kenpo karate will fit you right its like kung fu but you can choose any martial art you want that's fits u right

9. WaterGal

WaterGal Master of Arts

Fortunately for you, there are a lot of schools around the world that are now offering online martial arts classes on Zoom because of the pandemic, and some of them might continue into the future.

However, you probably won't be able to get past a beginner level of skill learning by yourself. Getting good at martial arts requires experience working with other people, but at least you can learn something.

10. lklawson

lklawson Senior Master

• Advisor
    Sure thing. Read this:
    The Newbie Guide to Martial Arts Training 2.1 by Kirk Lawson

It answers all these questions.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk123