Ninjutsu Instructor Killed.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This tragic story re-inforces two very important factors in self defense... 1) situational awareness, make sure you know whether or not there is back-up for the bad guy. 2) if it's something material that the attacker is asking for give it to them. I understand from the story that the fiancee said that they didn't understand what the guy wanted as he repeated cell phone over and over, but she hid the cell behind her back. I can't help but wonder if there might have been a different outcome if she had simply handed over the phone. Ah, well, hindsight is indeed 20/20. It is truly tragic that he is dead. I applaud him for doing what most of us hope we can do in a similar situation... react with good technique to defend others without regard to our own safety.:asian:

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
this thread is from 2003 why was it brought back to life?

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Obviously because someone new to the board wanted to comment on it.
Isn't that why we have search engines? (all due respect to the new poster :asian:) At least they used it. :D

It is tragic indeed and yes letch is right on about situational awareness and giving them what they wanted.

Kichigai-no-Okami

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that why we have search engines? (all due respect to the new poster :asian:) At least they used it. :D

It is tragic indeed and yes letch is right on about situational awareness and giving them what they wanted.
I agree. Certain situations in the past, no matter how old, can serve as "reminders" of how we train today. Good response on the "situational awareness", too.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree. Certain situations in the past, no matter how old, can serve as "reminders" of how we train today. Good response on the "situational awareness", too.

It should also serve as a reminder that we are human, not invincible, and can die at anytime. It behooves a person to be comfortable with that when facing a dangerous situation.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It should also serve as a reminder that we are human, not invincible, and can die at anytime. It behooves a person to be comfortable with that when facing a dangerous situation.
Yes, indeed. I believe the concept is "heijoshin". The way I understand it is if you knew that you were going to die tomorrow what would you do differently today than you would normally do. If your answer is that you'd do nothing different than any other day then you have reached a state of "heijoshin." I, sadly, haven't reached that point yet but am working toward that end.

Latest Discussions