Ninja Magazine

M

MisterMike

Who started this mag and how did they screen who got in it and why did anyone from Japan want to be in it?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you talking about the original one from the 80's? or is there a new one?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe initially the mag was somewhat legit, with articles from Hatsumi sensei, SKH, Bud Malmstrom, et al. Towards the end, it featured mainly articles from Duncan, Bussey, Robert Law, and James Loriega (aka The Angry Ninja Dwarf ©).

OP
M

MisterMike

Yea, admittedly, I had a few, buying them for about a year when I was 15 or so back in 86-87.

I just remember seeing articles from all the names mentioned above and now today they all hate each other (for the most part)

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I remember an issue where R. Duncan was showcasing a baton that held a 12ga shotgun shell that was fired by smacking the end of the baton....good times.

OP
M

MisterMike

I know I still have some kicking around, so I can probably answer my own original question about who started/published it. I was just at work when I wrote that originally...shhh...

I remmeber an articla with Richard Wigginton throwing knives, broken scissors, butter knives and hatchets with a hood over his head and landing them in a wood block on the wall.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ahhh and "The Master" TV series...I also remember there was a made for TV movie about a Ninja (some white kid adopted by a Japanese Ninja master). I miss the 80's.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"The Master" incidently, was picked up by MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000, and was done in TWO episodes of the show... Master Ninja 1, and Master Ninja 2.

Bujingodai

Black Belt
Reaction score
The Master, cheezy fun. I picked up episodes 1-7 at a garage sale last week. They need to make a new version of this, recreate the Ninja boom of the 80's. Seems everything else retro is coming back.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Oh my!
Ninjutsu is "retro" now!

I'll have to find some Ninja Magazine issues for nostalgic purposes.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have several ninja posters by a certain "Spanish ninja midget" anno 1986...on one side they have pictures of ninja in cool poses, sometimes ambushing a samurai, and on the other there are descriptions of "ninja weapons" such as aikuchi, katana, ninjato (straight of course), neko-te, wakizashi-teppo, tekken etc...

Now all I have to do is rent a few Sho Kosugi/Lee van Clef movies, wear fatigues and play the Grand Theft Auto: Vice City soundtrack on the hi-fi system and the nostalgia trip is complete...:ultracool

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many of the people in that magazine were "legit" practicioners? There seemed to be a shift from Tokagure to Koga as the issues went by.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This stuff was priceless!!

icon10.gif

Attachments

• $mag_ninja38_large.jpg
    $mag_ninja38_large.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 980

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been a while since I thumbed through a copy of Ninja magazine. As a general rule of thumb, if they were making Koga claims (Loriega, Duncan, Robert Law, et al) they were frauds.

OP
M

MisterMike

Isn't the "history" of Togakure Ryu a bit shady to begin with?

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
As in "strange line of headmasters"? Yes. As in "high kicks, numbchucks, straight-bladed 440C mailorder ninjato and white guy changing his name into something Asian-sounding"? Nah.

Latest Discussions