Nicknames in Martial Arts

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
oh jeez...

Well, I was training in the 1980's and my name is Daniel. Any guesses as to my nickname (God I hate the Karate Kid movies...)??????

curious

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our studio the instructor gives us a shirt with a nickname as a rite of passage when you have earned your purple belt and have officially become a member of our organization. Sometimes the names are opposites- one boy is very quiet and serious so his name is Chatterbox; another boy is slow and lazy- The Matrix (I asked our instructor about it and he said "that boy is on a whole other dimension") Some names are in regards to sizes- my seven year old is called "Mouse" (small, short, tiny); my other son is called "Spaghetti" (tall and skinny) Others are personality derived names: Joker, Banshee, Whisper. My name? Pottymouth (by both of my instructors), Bonita (by my classmates) and Queen B (by friends and relatives- B stands for badass or b****- depends who you ask.)

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, mine was "Springs". I thought it was because I tended to be aerial when fighting, but I heard later it was due to no matter how hard they hit me, I kept bouncing back up and in for more heh.

I think I need some new shocks now though ;p

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I never got a nickname from MA. But I got one from music. I was in my first band and I tried to play so fast (faster than them ... my timing sucked back then, which is bad for a drummer LOL). The guitar player said, "You are making me dizzy!" So the name "Dizzy" stuck. But I haven't been called that in years (since moving to NY 5 years ago).

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I received a couple ... both from the same person. One is Xena. The other one is Buttercup (one of the PowerPuff girls - the one in green who looks pissed all the time and is always kicking butt). ;)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pressureguy and Johnny Blaze are the only nicknames that I have ever gotten, of course Pressureguy is a nickname that I gave myself, so that shouldn't count. Still, it stuck over the years and a few people actually call me that. Google pressureguy and you will see countless entries, all of which refer to me.

Johnny Blaze is one that I was given by a fellow comic book fan. My first name is Johnny, which is cool. You can put any noun behind it and it sounds great: Johnny Lightning (I wish that were my nickname), Johnny Danger, Johnny Savage, Johnny Quick, Johnny Bravo.....
Yep, I'm cool.

AoG

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The teens and 20yr olds call me .....M.O.M. short for...

Mean Old Man :idunno:

I'm just not feeling the love here...:wink1:

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In the old days, one of our black belt assistants called me "Quality", because apparently I was pretty good. It was a name I jokingly used to decribe myself, but apparently he was being serious.
Now, our Grandmaster calls me "Young Man" sometimes because I just tested 5th Dan and am almost 10 years younger the next youngest 5th dan (I'm 38). But I've also been in TKD since I was 14.

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had a few over the years. My first instructor gave me "Tara the Terror".

Later, I had an instructor that called me the Silent Ninja cuz I didn't like to yell.

A few students in one school named me Gumby cuz I was always pretty flexible.

I also had one instructor that liked to call me Tara-dactyl.

Latest Discussions