Ni Ten Ichi Ryu

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is the Yiliquan Yahoo group site, but when I checked the link, I wasn't signed in (and I don't have my browser configured to sign me in automatically...)...

Not sure what the problem is. I don't have Photoshop or any other photo editor, so I don't know how to resize the photos to make them fit the 500x500 requirement for MT attachments (they are all about 600x480 or so).

Sorry!

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

R

RyuShiKan

Kaith,

You have picked one of the most “copied” and often falsly imitated swords school around.

NiTenIchi Ryu has more than a few folks in Japan that claim connection to or to be the “true” line of this school founded by Miyamoto Musashi. (we get a lot of nut cases in Japan just like in the west)
There is a group that practices this style out of Kyushu (the real deal guys) that attend the Nihon Kobudo Taikai, which I might be going to this Feb…..and if I do will be snapping some pic to put up here if you’re interested.
It is a rather boring event……watch the mpges below and imagine 7 hrs of that over and over and over……..I am getting sleepy just thinking about it.

This website has photo plus Quicktime/mpegs
http://member.nifty.ne.jp/MAIC/japanese/niten/niten-1.html

another:
http://www.hakudoh.com/musasi/

To be honest I don’t know which of these schools if either are the true line but they might give you an idea of what it’s like.

Here are 2 email address that might be of help:
This is a good friend of mine and he might be able to help you find just about anything in the way of sword schools

[email protected]

This one is for another style of sword that was used in the "Baby Cart" series.

[email protected]

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you.

I checked out the 2 sites. Interesting vidoes....I agree, not terribly exciting. I'll nose around em a bit more later on. The second site had a very annoying toolbar, wanted to stay centered on my screen, even though it meant cutting off the last few options. heh.

For some reason, seeing those clips, the art makes sence. Its not flashy. That means its boring (to western eyes, or at least mine). But I often wonder if a real combat art would be 'exciting'?

Would definately be interested in seeing pics of the event.

Thank you. :)

Z

ZenYuchia

Are there any dojos in America that teach Niten Ichi Ryu or am i going to have to study harder in Japanese class and move to Kyushu?

M

membru

well i'm sure on one thing .. that i saw one day my sensei in a fight in dojo... and was super, i have no word to describe..

he won in a this way coz at that time we didn't know what he really did..

just my two cents..

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by ZenYuchia
Are there any dojos in America that teach Niten Ichi Ryu or am i going to have to study harder in Japanese class and move to Kyushu?

I'm not sure, but moving to Kyushu might be a good idea...

Gambarimasu.

R

ryansaunders

Does anybody know where in the UK that teachs NiTen Ichi Ryu?

Cheers:asian:

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Chelsea, London, UK/Souka-shi, Saitama Ken, JPN
The hereditary head of Hyoho Niten Ichi ryu kenjutsu is Imai Masayuki sensei and I believe he's in his late seventies, if not early eighties. He operates mainly out of Oita prefecture.

There is another individual that claims to be Soke of Niten Ichi ryu in Kumamoto, but I don't know all of the details. It could be a different line of HNIR.

There are two links to check out;Here
And here

Regards

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Saitama Steve
I'll say, I see him demonstrate HNIR every year at the Nippon Budokan in Tokyo.

Ah, to be at the source! Who else do you get to see there? Probably it's a long list!

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yup, quite a long list. I'm into the classical side of budo, so I generally attend most of the Kobudo demonstrations in eastern Japan.

After you get to see these demos for the umpteenth time, they do start getting a bit lacklustre. Like Ryushikan said, they can put you to sleep if you see them more than once.

Regards

R

RyuShiKan

Originally posted by Saitama Steve
After you get to see these demos for the umpteenth time, they do start getting a bit lacklustre. Like Ryushikan said, they can put you to sleep if you see them more than once.

Regards

Which is why I always make sure I have some Awamori to sip on and give commentary..........it's amkes for a more intresting demo.:D

Seriously.....I feel fortunate to have seen some really great folks do demos here in Japan......once you see "real" masters who are some of the top people in their field do demos the "Amerrrrikan Soke" is a damn joke.

Saitama Steve

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Scott,

I wasn't just referring to NIR with the Sokey Dokeys. In the UK, there are a few "ninjers" claiming to be legit. You have that and a few guys here and there who are teching some form of JSA without certification. It's usually in the London area and there abouts.

Respect.