Tachi/Katana/Iaito

R

Rodluvan

Hello, I'm not a practitioner of any "blade-art", but the thought has crossed my mind to begin some day. Anyway, I can't quite figgure out the difference between a katana and an Iaito or a Tachi for that matter (even if I believe the later is just another name for Katana).
Can anyone help me here? Thanx in advance!
/Rodluvan

OP
D

Despairbear

Hmmm I have always been under the impression that "iaido" was a martial art not a weapon. The tachi is not another name for the katana is was an different version of the sword. The tachi was a little wider in the blade and has a more saber style tip. Also the tachi was worn blade down and used for kenjutisu the katana was worn blade up for the ablility to use a draw cut such as is found in Iaido. Now this is some what of a shallow description of the two weapons, we could go into blade weights, curve angles and scocial standing, but in most cases this discription would do.

Despair Bear

OP
R

Rodluvan

Thx for the answer. I do believe however that the Iaito infact is a sword used in the art Iaido, but I could be wrong ofcouse. Perhaps Iaito is a sword for training purposes only. Well, hope someone knows.
/R

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

actually the katana can be worn blade up or down depending on the school in which it was taught... also the katana is used in kenjitsu as it is the study of swordsman ship

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

ohhh almost forgot the tachi was designed to be used on horse back... it has a greater curvature to the blade in order to prevent it from cutting the horse as it is drawn...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe there is exactly one blade down technique in the seitei kata, the Heaven-to-Earth cut. In others the blade may be drawn sideways (after twisting the scabbard in order to do so).

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TLH3rdDan

actually the katana can be worn blade up or down depending on the school in which it was taught... also the katana is used in kenjitsu as it is the study of swordsman ship

I might be wrong, but this is'nt the case for the "modern" katana.

The problem might be that what we consider a modern katana is just one standard length / curved blade. Katana's havn't always looked this way, see " The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords by Kokan Nagayama".

Why I think that it isn't normal to wear with the blade downward way is that the katana was "invented" to make a faster draw, by letting the curv on the sword be part of the momentum to draw the sword. In doing so you're letting the sword work itself out of the saya. THereby using minimum of force to draw.

If you draw the other way, the sharp side down, you'll always be cutting into your saya. This is the second resaon to why the earth and hevaen cut is so dangerous.

And to arnisador, depending on style, and when you learned Iaido, the draw is made either "sideways" (which is not 100 % true either), or directly with the blad pointing upwards.

/yari

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Yari

This is the second resaon to why the earth and hevaen cut is so dangerous.

Of course, Earth-to-Heaven is what I meant (I wrote it backwards).

And to arnisador, depending on style, and when you learned Iaido, the draw is made either "sideways" (which is not 100 % true either), or directly with the blad pointing upwards.

I was thinking of the first seitei kata technique, from a kneeling position, which I learned as a sideways draw--there was a definite point at which you twsited the scabbard a quarter-turn--but looking through the books on my shelf, you are correct. Some are doing it as a blade up draw.

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

true if worn blade down you stand the risk of cutting thru the saya and into your own hand however this is true of any draw and cut if you do not use proper technique... and yes im aware that there are many different styles, shapes, and lengths of Katana blades... ranging from the wakazashi, to the nodachi. each with their own style of drawing and attacking again it all depends on the school of swordsmanship you have learned from.

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

I was thinking of the first seitei kata technique, from a kneeling position, which I learned as a sideways draw--there was a definite point at which you twsited the scabbard a quarter-turn--but looking through the books on my shelf, you are correct. Some are doing it as a blade up draw.

I have learned Ippon me mae (the first kata) many ways, but two major ways of drawing: 1) Starting the draw with the sharp side up, and when your sword is about 2/3 out turn the blad. 2) Turn the saya at once, before the draw is started.

I like the first one best.

/yari

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

and yes im aware that there are many different styles, shapes, and lengths of Katana blades... ranging from the wakazashi, to the nodachi. each with their own style of drawing and attacking again it all depends on the school of swordsmanship you have learned from.

I think we're talking about the same thing. Even the katana had different "shapes and curves". My understanding is that one of the biggist differences from a katana to a nodachi is the lenght/curve.

/Yari

OP
T

TLH3rdDan

yeah i believe we are on the same page as well... and yes you are correct that the main difference is the length and curve... but also the way you carry the nodachi which is on your back... seeing as how its near impossible to draw it from the wait not to mention it would probably pull your obi off lol but if you have never worked with a nodachi i highly recommend it... it is a great way to build up wrist, grip, and arm strength...

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

yeah i believe we are on the same page as well... and yes you are correct that the main difference is the length and curve... but also the way you carry the nodachi which is on your back... seeing as how its near impossible to draw it from the wait not to mention it would probably pull your obi off lol but if you have never worked with a nodachi i highly recommend it... it is a great way to build up wrist, grip, and arm strength...

I've never tried a Nodachi, but in kendo many use the oar-bokken (bokuto). Which is very heavy, and good for building up strength in the upper body.

/Yari

OP
K

kimura

Originally posted by Yari

I might be wrong, but this is'nt the case for the "modern" katana.

The problem might be that what we consider a modern katana is just one standard length / curved blade. Katana's havn't always looked this way, see " The Connoisseur's Book of Japanese Swords by Kokan Nagayama".

Why I think that it isn't normal to wear with the blade downward way is that the katana was "invented" to make a faster draw, by letting the curv on the sword be part of the momentum to draw the sword. In doing so you're letting the sword work itself out of the saya. THereby using minimum of force to draw.

If you draw the other way, the sharp side down, you'll always be cutting into your saya. This is the second resaon to why the earth and hevaen cut is so dangerous.

/yari

Having the sharp edge upwards gives more possibilities of cuts in the first draw than if it is downwards. The downwards worn Tachi is from a time where they thought 'the bigger the better' (men still thinks that );) However it is impossible to draw with the sharb edge upwards.