johnjohn

White Belt
Reaction score
Just like to say hello to everybody, i am totally new to MA, i have had a few sessions just finished 1 an hour ago starting to feel stiff already but totally enjoyed it, im 50 this year but don't feel it so fancied something different from the gym, recon i made a good decision.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk. What is it you're training in?

OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

White Belt
Reaction score
Im training in traditional/Japanese jiu jitsu, i am based in Liverpool in the UK ,i have found a good dojo with a great bunch of lads and lasses, mixed age group of adults so feal right at home, done a class in a university but felt totally out of place i was the oldest there by 25 yrs it was just called jitsu?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im training in traditional/Japanese jiu jitsu, i am based in Liverpool in the UK ,i have found a good dojo with a great bunch of lads and lasses, mixed age group of adults so feal right at home, done a class in a university but felt totally out of place i was the oldest there by 25 yrs it was just called jitsu?

Ee calm down, calm down! (Sorry, had to be done! )

Good to have another Brit on board ( and you are younger than me lol) sounds a good place to train, I know MMA people in Liverpool but not many TMAs I'm afraid. Wrong side of the Pennines for me. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk.
It is nice to hear of someone your age starting in the arts and enjoying themselves. Keep us informed as to how your training goes.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT Johnjohn, will be interested to hear how your training goes.

OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

White Belt
Reaction score
Ee calm down, calm down! (Sorry, had to be done! )

Good to have another Brit on board ( and you are younger than me lol) sounds a good place to train, I know MMA people in Liverpool but not many TMAs I'm afraid. Wrong side of the Pennines for me. :)
Glad to know there are a few older people about, which type of martial art/style do you do ?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to know there are a few older people about, which type of martial art/style do you do ?

We train MMA and my traditional styles are Wado Ryu and TSD.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Nothing wrong with starting at any age, plenty of us in here with a few nautical miles under the keel so to speak. Make sure you get plenty of fluids and take care of yourself. Martial arts is a lifelong endeavor so set a pace you can sustain.

OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

White Belt
Reaction score
Feel like ive been in a car crash today but cant wait till tomorrow night another training session then hope to get another in at the week end, funny never looked forward to the gym as much as this while i was aching, must have been the monotony same thing week in week out, should have done it years ago;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feel like ive been in a car crash today but cant wait till tomorrow night another training session then hope to get another in at the week end, funny never looked forward to the gym as much as this while i was aching, must have been the monotony same thing week in week out, should have done it years ago;)

Big warning though probably too late...martial arts are addictive! But it's such a great addiction! :)

OP
johnjohn

johnjohn

White Belt
Reaction score
I think your right, haven't felt this good about an addition for a while, apart from being as stiff as a plank LOL;)

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure you are doing proper stretches before AND after practice. In fact whether your practice or not, stretch daily, it will pay big dividends in terms of performance, well-being, and safety. I have a gentleman learning from me who is well past 60 and was as tough as old shoe leather when he began and now can kick head level when he chooses to do so. It took us a couple of years of diligent and conscientious effort but now he's nearly as flexible as anybody in the class.

Latest Discussions