New

Lifetime student

White Belt
Reaction score
hi everyone.

I am a 5th Dan black belt in kenpo karate. I have been running a school for the past 6 years. I'm not formally trained in any other style but have trained with people from numerous styles. I have one day a week where I open the club to any style to come in and swap knowledge. There's no formal teaching or structure just people who can come in and spar, or drill or do whatever they want really as long as it's safe. I enjoy learning new stuff.

Kababayan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always love when high-ranking martial artists do this. Once a martial artist gets to a certain rank, or ability, it can be hard to find partners to work with. Where is your dojo?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
hi everyone.

I am a 5th Dan black belt in kenpo karate. I have been running a school for the past 6 years. I'm not formally trained in any other style but have trained with people from numerous styles. I have one day a week where I open the club to any style to come in and swap knowledge. There's no formal teaching or structure just people who can come in and spar, or drill or do whatever they want really as long as it's safe. I enjoy learning new stuff.
I love when I hear stories like this and always wonder how large the city you live in must be. Even our state capital which is only 40 miles away has a very limited number of schools of various styles.

OP
L

Lifetime student

White Belt
Reaction score
I love when I hear stories like this and always wonder how large the city you live in must be. Even our state capital which is only 40 miles away has a very limited number of schools of various styles.
They're not huge classes the mixed style classes. I do them for free since it's not a proper class. Sometimes it's just me and a few regular students of the club who just mess around with stuff. Sometimes we get a few boxers coming in looking for new sparring partners to prepare for a match. We get a few jiu jitsu guys a few Krav Maga people a few Kung fu. Rarely it's all at once. The biggest class we get for those mixed ones is about 8 at a time but usually it's about 3 or 4 a class.

OP
L

Lifetime student

White Belt
Reaction score
I always love when high-ranking martial artists do this. Once a martial artist gets to a certain rank, or ability, it can be hard to find partners to work with. Where is your dojo?
I'm in Dorset in the UK. I'm not a full time instructor....well I have been at times when I've been unemployed but I've always looked after my money well so even when unemployed I've got a lot of cash saved.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Lifetime. Nice to have you. :)

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi!

I have one day a week where I open the club to any style to come in and swap knowledge. There's no formal teaching or structure just people who can come in and spar, or drill or do whatever they want really as long as it's safe. I enjoy learning new stuff.

Sounds like fun.

I'm in Dorset in the UK.

If it's alright I'll send you a pm, I'm in Wiltshire so depending where you are in Dorset I might hassle you about an entertainment evening ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
hi everyone.

Welcome to MT.

over 20 years ago I was a member of a group that was made up of multiple styles sparing and exchanging knowledge, it was one of my best martial arts experiences

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
over 20 years ago I was a member of a group that was made up of multiple styles sparing and exchanging knowledge, it was one of my best martial arts experiences
This is the kind of group I dream of, awake. Anyone (interested) or anything like this around Colchester / North Essex?

Latest Discussions