New video: Wing Chun against Boxing

bogdan.sifu

White Belt
Reaction score

Hi guys!

I hope that you may find this useful to your training :)

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric_H

Black Belt
Reaction score

Hi guys!

It's rubbish. Your "boxers" don't exhibit basic boxing footwork. Doing WC-like defenses against poor executes jabs doesn't count as being good against boxing.

I'm not sure what the intent of the video really is, it's not educational and it's not promotional.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the quality of the wing chun, but there was no boxing anywhere in that video. The person feeding the attacks was not using good boxing stance, structure, footwork, distancing, body dynamics, or punching fundamentals. It's kind of hard to demonstrate legitimate counters to boxing when you don't have any boxing technique to work from.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Hi guys!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pass both on the boxing and the wing chun.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Those counters are too complicated and risky , you could have stopped every one of those punches just using a Dai Sau and punch or a Tan Sau (counter pierce).

You also might want to re-title the video Wing Chun against Generic Punching Attacks or do the video again with somebody who can at least mimic some sort of resemblance to boxing.

Jake104

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's rubbish. Your "boxers" don't exhibit basic boxing footwork. Doing WC-like defenses against poor executes jabs doesn't count as being good against boxing.

I'm not sure what the intent of the video really is, it's not educational and it's not promotional.
I found it to be very entertaining. Come on, roof top sparring! Thats awesome! Then the part when the Wing Chun guy became the boxer/villain. I didn't see that coming. It had everything suspense, drama , comedy. Two thumbs up!

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found it to be very entertaining. Come on, roof top sparring! Thats awesome! Then the part when the Wing Chun guy became the boxer/villain. I didn't see that coming. It had everything suspense, drama , comedy. Two thumbs up!

Everyone's a critic..................

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Did I miss the WC and Boxing video? Al I saw was the one in the first post and that looked like some sort of mating ritual.
I'm with you. Totally missed the boxing and can only assume the other guy was practising WC. :idunno: It would have been infinitely better had they used a trained boxer rather than a WC stand in. Even then, I would only be impressed if the boxer was actually boxing. Then you would genuinely see how WC copes with the boxer's attack.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd have to agree that the 'boxer' was not demonstrating any real knowledge of boxing. I think many of those defenses underestimate the power of, e.g., a hook punch.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't want to use a Tan Sau against a hook punch.
The circular force of a tight hook punch acts like a parry and knocks the Tan Sau aside.

We use a Dai Sau against hook punches , it doesn't require pivoting and only needs the arm to be raised from the guard with the elbow and forearm out at a 45 degree angle.
The hook is deflected upwards and more often than not they hurt themselves by ramming the inside of their forearm onto the outside of your forearm or point of your elbow.

Worst case scenario and the force from the hook is too great , then the force can be directed over your head by turning the Dai Sau into a Bong Sau and pivoting.
Having said that , if he is close enough to use a tight powerful hook you should be close enough to punch him in the face with your centerline punch.

The Tan Sau against a circular strike can work , but it is more suited to something like a hay maker where the angle of the arm is a lot more extended , not a tight hook.

Another case where it works well is against the back of the arm of a spinning back fist because the angle of the opponents arm is limited to being straight or slightly bent and can't curve it's way around the Tan Sau.

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hihi, you made my day \o/

(just try this with cats and prepare bandages :) )

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm convinced! Now all I have to find is a reputable dog club, err dojo, to hone my skills. :p
----------------------------------------------
The boxer video was funny. My 3 Arctic dogs- two Samoyeds and a powerful malamute are now on the other side of the rainbow bridge.
All 3 learned standing and moving chi sao using two fook saos on top of a bong and tan alignment by me.
Their fok saos were gentle, controlling and on the spot in rolling. When there was an opening they could strike
with their nails on either one of the paws. Good times.

Latest Discussions