New to Martial Arts

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am new to formal martial arts training and I am trying to find some place near me to take classes. I am looking in Puyallup,Wa and the only place I have found near me that I "feel" ok about is a place called Master Na's (tae kwon do). The only problem is they are $100 a month so for myself and my little sister (15 1/2) t is going to cost me $200 a month. I know you get what you pay for and I have heard nothing but good things about this place but the price seems rather steep. Is this the average price for lessons or have I just happened to find the most expensive place around. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Carron
"I have learned that brute strength and ignorance is not always the best solution"

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First Wlcome to the forum.

I agree look around a little. It may take a short while but I'm sure you may find a place you like for a less$.
Try ayellow pages search of a radius 05 25-59 miles (or whatever distance) on the internet under Martial arts and the city your in

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
If that $100 a month includes a uniform, gives you access to weight machines, and there are no testing fees to pay later on, it might be worth it. Otherwise, I'd keep shopping. Actually, you look around some more anyways. Maybe try a free first lesson if they offer one.

BTW, welcome to the board. :)

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
That sounds like alot, actually, to be more precise for that much you should be able to get very high quality instruction.

I used to live in Seattle and if I could offer a couple of suggestions:

http://www.lendermanacademy.com/

I only know them only by rep, but their guys are pretty good.

Sigung Ron Tapec is lives down in Puyallup, and I don't think he advertises but if you can find a contact with him he is very good. He teaches a kajukenbo variant called Taichi Chaunfa and arnis.

Besides these two, you may want to just look around in community centers, YMCAs and whatnot. There are alot of good instructors out there who don't advertise in the yellow pages.

Good luck,

Lamont

J

jwreck

Yeah,, that sounds outrageous. There used to be a Kenpo place on I-5 headed toward Tacoma, butt ha was 10 years ago. There was also a Hapkido place in Puyallup, but I don't recommend it (sorry I can't remember the name of it) because they screwed me pretty with a contract. Anyway, best of luck to you.

OP
kanjc

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The place that "feels" ok includes the uniform, a free lesson to see if you like it, and a free month if you enroll, also includes hapkido lessons, as far as the promotion testing I don't know. I have checked a few other places and most are around $80, I did find one place that was $28 for the first fam member and $22 for the second, but the hours were extremely limited because it was at a rec center and the location was not very workable you also had to supply your own uniform. I have always depended on my size to help me defend myself (5'7", 225+lbs) but the world is changing and my little sister does not have my build (thankfully) she is about 5' on a good day and all of 100lbs soaking wet with combat boots on :) but I really want her to be able to defend herself if need be.

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
Kanjc, what are you looking to get out of martial arts? Self defense?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
Hopefully to have fun first and foremost ;)

I know what you are going to say, and I kinda agree.

But not everyone needs or wants all ranges and hard training.

You don't need a nuke to kill a fly, a fly swatter will do just fine.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I am certain that the center of the universe exists not within 5 minutes of video. (I don't get paid until Friday)
Well there are some slow motion replays, but 10 videos for $199.95, I mean, if you really are a martial artist surely you must see the great deal that is :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kanjc -

If the closest one to you is in Puyallup, then you must be too far away for me to recommend a dojang in Brush Prairie/Battle Ground...right?

OP
kanjc

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hedgehogey said:
Self defense, structure, discipline, (getting my fat butt back into shape),etc.... my current style is akin to putting my hand all the way through a wall and dragging somebody back through it.... not really an art, just brute force and ignorance...

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
For self defense, you're going to need to practice "alive", that is with an uncooperative opponent at whatever range you're studying at. Many schools practice without ever testing their techniques in a full contact environment. You want testing, so you know what works. Avoid schools that advertise "streetfighting". They usually suck.

It's best to be proficient in all three unarmed ranges (standing, clinch and ground):

Arts that train alive in each range:

standing: boxing, muay thai, kyokushin-kai

clinch: judo, muay thai, wrestling

ground: brazilian jiujitsu, wrestling, judo

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's best to be proficient in all three unarmed ranges (standing, clinch and ground):

Arts that train alive in each range:

standing: boxing, muay thai, kyokushin-kai

clinch: judo, muay thai, wrestling

ground: brazilian jiujitsu, wrestling, judo
Or do Bujinkan Taijutsu and get all three!

OP
kanjc

kanjc

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I have done what many of you have suggested, I have looked around considerably and I have set up appointments for "visits" or trial sessions. Many of the places I have found are still running around $80 -$100 but, many of them also teach tae kwon do, hapkido, weapons and a few things I couldn't pronounce. I would also like to thank all of you for the warm welcome.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course!
icon7.gif
Feel free to carry on with asking any questions you come up with, you'll find most of the people here to be quite helpful.

Latest Discussions