new to Capoeira, what to expect?

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been looking into a capoeira group that just started in the region. What should I look for? Anything particular questions I should ask? Its supposed to be a blend of Angola and Regional. If you want to check out the site, see it here. I've been interested in the style for a while, so I was kind of excited to see the new group started up :) Thoughts, opinions?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I train with ABADA group in San Francisco. Who is the teacher in the Raleigh school?

If you look on the web page labelled "Groupo ABADA", there is a photo of a group with instruments and students gathered around. The short woman holding the berimbau, standing next to the man with the drum (atabaqe) is Mestranda (red cord) Marcia Cigarra, my teacher in San Francisco. When this picture was taken, she must have been visiting for some workshops or batizado, or something. I have been away from the group for several years so I was out of the loop, but I have recently begun to return to capoeira training.

It is a good group, altho very large worldwide. In some ways that is great, in other ways it has its problems, but that's mostly political nonsense that you don't need to worry about. It's a great art, and a great group, and I suspect the teacher should be good because the standards are pretty high within the group.

Mestre Camisa, the leader of ABADA is constantly looking for ways to improve the art, so sometimes things change. That can be pretty interesting. He certainly has his own vision of things, but also attempts to maintain the traditional roots of the art.

The training can be gruelling, very aerobic and use of muscles in ways you probably aren't used to, so be prepared for that. Also, training is typically done in bare feet. It will take a while for the soles of your feet to toughen up and get used to it because there is a lot of pivoting. Until then, you are gonna have to suffer thru the blisters and torn feet. This is not like training in bare feet in a karate style. Welcome to capoeira.

You should have fun, it's neat to see someone entering an affiliated school with my own!

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have an Angola DVD for sale on www.jmactiondvd.com
It is a video of a seminar and is not really meant as an instructional tool, but gives a good glimpse into the art.

I had read about Capoeira before byt was still unsure of what to expect.
All I can say is that is was quite interesting.

The link is http://jmactiondvd.bizhosting.com/capoeira_angola_basics_.html

Adigun Sipho Capoeira Angola Basics DVD
Taped Seminar With Mestre Terry Baruti

This DVD covers:
Basic floor game
Escapes and counters
Two person sets
Capoeira Angola self defense

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
How goes the Capoeira training?

Heading to the Left Coast tommorow, hope to drop by shortly after we return. Hope its good. thanks for asking, I'll definately update as soon as I go.

Latest Discussions