New TKD & RBSD member from New Mexico USA

Marcy Shoberg

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I have recently joined the site and this is my first post. I live in New Mexico, USA and teach modern Taekwondo and reality based self defense (mostly Krav Maga and FAST Defense). I also hold high rank from the founder of Chunkido (like hapkido) but don't currently practice it.
Although I find all of the ads on this site confusing, I think I will very much enjoy being a member.
I have only read one thread (in the Tae Kwon Do area about time to black belt) and it has helped me greatly. For the 20 years I have had a dojang, I have aimed for my students taking 4 to 5 years to earn black belt but it has tended to be a bit longer for most.
Knowing that most modern Taekwondo schools take less time, and because of some recent improvements I have made to my curriculum that causes my students to learn things faster, I was considering shortening the time to black belt to average of 3 years. But, I was held back trying to decide how that would make my black belts relate to black belts in other arts. Well, in the first thread I read on this site, someone (a Mr. Sullivan I believe) pointed out that the meaning of black belt in one art need bear no specific relationship to the meaning of black belt in another.
Anyway, I'm enjoying the site and glad to be a member.

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome, I am glad you have been able to draw value from the forum and I am sure it will continue to be a great resource!

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. Hope you continue to gain value from being a member. Looking forward to your contributions as well.

Latest Discussions