New pocket-rocket

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Nice.

Just out of curiosity, why not one of the new breed of "pocket 9's"; PF-9, PM9, Glock 26, PPS, etc.? That way, it's still a "real gun."

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Think of it this way:

* You can get snubbies that go up to .357 ( I personally don't like them, even in all steel, too much recoil for me, but some folks do, and like 'em just fine), and even .38 +P is nothing to sneeze at.Most pocket autos the same size don't offer NEARLY that much punch. Most of em, the .380s and .32s are what I call nose guns( IE the only way to get a reliable one or two round stop with one of THOSE is to screw the damnthing up the threat's nose before you squeeze).

* The point has already been brought up about the revolver mechanism's superiority in pocket carry in that you can ( with a hammerless model such as Matt's 442 and my and Deaf's 642s for example) let go all five shots without even removing it from the pocket, and there is no faster draw than that. Do thou likewise with any pocket auto and you're stuck with just the one shot and may injure your hand depending on the room in the pocket for your hand and the actuating slide. And you just jammed it most likely.

* which brings us to the main point. Carried in belt holsters, most autos are reliable enough now to almost never jam if kept maintained. In pockets( lint, dust) or ankle carry(dirt and grit kicking up from your shoe) not nearly so much. The revolver will fire even if the damnthing's got dust bunnies in it.

* Remember that the reason you carry a backup is because your primary has either depleted its available ammo( by which time you're not in any run of the mill self defense scenario but rather a running gun battle/gang fight), or jammed. Therefore as a direct result the first and foremost thing one ought to demand of his backup piece is that it CANNOT jam.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions