Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Cool! The tenth planet.
Was this not proven a few ( Decade or so *) years ago with mathematics and the orbits of the 8th and 9th planets? It is nice that they were able to find it.

Thanks
:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

Oh, so that means we're still the only planet with intellegent life, and a "Martial Talk Forum! :partyon:

OP
M

MisterMike

Don't they not want to call it a planet. I heard they wanted to take Pluto off the list too.

Something about them not being big enough...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MisterMike said:
Don't they not want to call it a planet. I heard they wanted to take Pluto off the list too.

Something about them not being big enough...
Yeah, there are asteroids headed striaght for earth that are bigger than those chunks of rock.
Sean

OP
R

RCastillo

Touch'O'Death said:
Yeah, there are asteroids headed striaght for earth that are bigger than those chunks of rock.
Sean

Gee, thanks for reminding me. I guess I can forget about retirement?

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Luckily earths moving so if they are headed straight for earth where earth is right now they will miss it. Ok I know what your saying. By the way I am here by claiming that planet. For any who dissagree put a flag there before I get there and you can have it.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andi said:
I notice NASA aren't referring to Sedna as a planet, only a planetoid.

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/solarsystem/planet_like_body.html

I'm aware we have some astronomers about, would you say it qualifies for planet status? I tend to think that Pluto isn't even really a planet, but who actually gets to decide?

Is it the scientific method's version of Political correctness. Won't call it a planet until they can support it with enough research and data?

OP
A

Andi

The largest asteroid (that they've found?) is Ceres I believe at just under 1000km. They're putting Sedna at somewhere between 1000-1700km. Don't suppose it would be fun to have either landing round here.

Apparently it's the International Astronomical Union that gets to decide the name and they're making noises about not being consulted about it and you can't just go around naming planets yourself and it's the wrong mythology anyway so you can't have that. :rolleyes:

You can see why they went for the name Sedna though. :idunno:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andi said:
The largest asteroid (that they've found?) is Ceres I believe at just under 1000km. They're putting Sedna at somewhere between 1000-1700km. Don't suppose it would be fun to have either landing round here.

Apparently it's the International Astronomical Union that gets to decide the name and they're making noises about not being consulted about it and you can't just go around naming planets yourself and it's the wrong mythology anyway so you can't have that. :rolleyes:

You can see why they went for the name Sedna though. :idunno:
I thought it was a governemental conspiracy. Sedna aka ANDES or American Numerical Digital Encryption System.

Just think about it :rofl:

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Sean
Yes, isn't Tutonis (sp) supposed to pass very close by in September of this year? I wonder how small a calculation it would take to get slapped in the polar region with that one? Post apocalyptic world, anyone?

OP
R

RCastillo

Rich Parsons said:
I thought it was a governemental conspiracy. Sedna aka ANDES or American Numerical Digital Encryption System.

Just think about it :rofl:

I finally got you Mr. Parsons, you admitted it, you're a member of ANDES. (bunch of number addicts) :uhyeah:

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RCastillo said:
I finally got you Mr. Parsons, you admitted it, you're a member of ANDES. (bunch of number addicts) :uhyeah:
Either that or I am lost on some mountain range in South America

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Was this not proven a few ( Decade or so *) years ago with mathematics and the orbits of the 8th and 9th planets?
Some of the outer planets, and their moons, and essentially all of the extra-solar system planets, have been found mathematically (orbits don't match what's prediceted by Kepler's Law, suitably modified). I'm not up on most of the recent stuff in this area though.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisador said:
Some of the outer planets, and their moons, and essentially all of the extra-solar system planets, have been found mathematically (orbits don't match what's prediceted by Kepler's Law, suitably modified). I'm not up on most of the recent stuff in this area though.
Thanks

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hubble is probably the best resource that we have for finding out for sure what's out there. One of the laws of nature was proven incorrect by this piece of equipment. The universe is expanding at an ever increasing speed instead of slowing down or shrinking back to a center after the big bang. Too bad that this piece of gear will be allowed to fall into disrepair and become useless.

OP
T

TonyM.

This is sorta cool. They said Taurus' real ruling planet eventually would be found.

OP
A

Andi

theletch1 said:
Hubble is probably the best resource that we have for finding out for sure what's out there. One of the laws of nature was proven incorrect by this piece of equipment. The universe is expanding at an ever increasing speed instead of slowing down or shrinking back to a center after the big bang.
When did they work that out? I must have missed that one completely. Didn't they need to find all the dark matter to decide that either way?