new member to forums, and MT! :)

MTnoodle

White Belt
Reaction score
Whats up everyone. I just started MT last night. I attended my first class. It was great, it showed me how utterly out of shape I am.

I used to play basketball in highschool but I have fallen way out of shape since college. I still play ball here and there so I thought I could ease into MT training. I was so wrong, the MT training is very physically taxing if you are not in the right kind of shape.

We started out doing the rope for 10 mins, into some exercises, and then we shadowbox and go into partner pad work with combos. It was fun indeed but about halfway into shadowboxing I could hardly keep my arms up. I plan on going 3 times a week and training at home 2 times a week.

How long do you think it takes to get used to the workout? I hope I can get to the point where I dont have trouble holding up pads for my partner or throwing punches toward the end of the class.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome and enjoy remember it takes each person a different amount of time to get back in shape. Just keep working on it, it always comes back sooner or later.

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to MT :). As far as the amount of time it takes to get back into shape, like Terry said, it varies from person to person, but it takes longer to get into shape than it does to get out of shape:lol:

OP
M

MTnoodle

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, welcome to MT :). As far as the amount of time it takes to get back into shape, like Terry said, it varies from person to person, but it takes longer to get into shape than it does to get out of shape:lol:

LoL I have to wholeheartedly agree with you on that one. The months you spend getting in shape, could literally be ruined by one week of being bad

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just started an exercise program again myself and I have to tell you - if you want this to be a lifestyle change for you, you need to start small and gradually increase - *very* gradually.

I haven't pushed myself yet but I've noticed - just from getting active again - little "issues" my body has. So I focus my warmups and my gear accordingly and have better success.

The most important thing I can tell you this: whatever you do, do it correctly - do not sacrifice quality for kick height, speed or strength. Invest your time wisely and work on correct form, technique, recovering balance, good posture, movement in stance, etcetera.

You'll be doing yourself an enormous favor.

Good luck and keep us posted!

ThaiBoxerVicky

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forums

Well I went to my first beginners lesson today and I loved it, but I have been doing boxing circuit training before hand and I really enjoyed it.

OP
M

MTnoodle

White Belt
Reaction score
I just started an exercise program again myself and I have to tell you - if you want this to be a lifestyle change for you, you need to start small and gradually increase - *very* gradually.

I haven't pushed myself yet but I've noticed - just from getting active again - little "issues" my body has. So I focus my warmups and my gear accordingly and have better success.

The most important thing I can tell you this: whatever you do, do it correctly - do not sacrifice quality for kick height, speed or strength. Invest your time wisely and work on correct form, technique, recovering balance, good posture, movement in stance, etcetera.

You'll be doing yourself an enormous favor.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks, I think it will be important for me to remember that something like this is not quick and easy. I will keep in mind that my development will come gradually.

I went to class on Thursday and going again Monday. In the mean time I bought a jump rope and over the weekend really improved my roping. At class the first time jump roping I got hung up after every 5 swings or so of the rope. Now I can do a couple minutes at a time without stopping. I still cant do one leg at a time though..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Greetings and Welcome........

Latest Discussions