New martial artist, mixed and wrestling

A

analyst

Hey guys, was lurking for a bit but decided what the hey.

I took TKD for 2 years in early grade school. I don't really count that, I didn't enjoy it too much and didn't really learn anything useful. So after that I pretty much forgot about martial arts.

Then this winter I was in Israel. I learned a great deal about the country's history, especially its military history and the armed forces. Later I had an opportunity to hang out with some Israeli soldiers. I asked one of them "so, do you guys learn self-defense and stuff?" She says sure, takes my hand, and in the span of 3 seconds applies some 5 different wristlocks.

I was floored. I asked what else they do, and it all sounded pretty awesome. So when I returned to the states I was determined to take Krav Maga.

However it was not to be. Logistically, the only krav gyms were 45+ minutes away, and I don't have a car.

Disappointed, I looked for an alternative, something to tide me over until the summer, when I can train at the national krav institute in LA. I kept seeing older eastern-style schools, which I don't really want.

Finally I got lucky. I found a little hole-in-the-wall gym that teaches straight-up, competition-geared MMA. And so far I've been loving it. They teach a combination of kickboxing, BJJ, and takedowns with takedown defense.

I also wrestled for 2 years in high-school, which I didn't count as martial arts training until I started doing MMA. Now I cannot overstate the importance of taking wrestling. With only two years of basic highschool wrestling, I can basically dictate where the fight goes down -- standing or ground. Additionally, when there is any scrambling or jockeying for position, I instinctually come out on top. I've just drilled and wrestled so much that I understand position and leverage on the ground.

Oh, and I'm the "analyst" because back when I wrestled I was so lanky I couldn't rely on strength to win, instead I had to use finesse and my move repertoire. Now weight training has somewhat nullified my lankiness, but I'm still very technical and always thinking strategically. Now i just need to learn some moves :D

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, Analyst. Enjoy the boards.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Welcome, Glad you found something you enjoy. My son is in his first year of High School wrestling and practices Kempo. He enjoys the sport of wrestling. (103 lbs). Lots of conditioning. ....Aloha

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk!! Enjoy your stay!! :ultracool

Mike

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! Enjoy yourself on the forums!

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Glad to have you with us!!! :wavey: We look forward to your opinions and experiences!

- Ceicei

Latest Discussions