New Infraction System

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, I feel dumb, but can someone please define trolling and "challenge post" too?

Personal shots at my intelligence will be accepted in this case :)

I was going to ask the same things so I'll take 1/2 the shots fired at you.
:)

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A challenge post is one where an individual "suggests" that they "meet" to "work it out", or flat out says something along the lines of "if I see you, I'll kick your ***.".

Trolling is loosely defined as "deliberately provoking arguments on newsgroups or bulletin boards, with no other intent than to gain attention for the sake of attention." Basically a web troll is someone who is only here to cause problems. There are extensive discussions on them, their mannerisms and other characteristics floating around. Wiki is one good source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A challenge post is one where an individual "suggests" that they "meet" to "work it out", or flat out says something along the lines of "if I see you, I'll kick your ***."

A good rule...

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Good to know that going off-topic is not an anfraction! I could've been in trouble there.
:D:D:D
Right. But the things is NOT saying anything else but the truth when one has the choise between is shortterm and longterm.
(The shortterm with orgins in fear of consequences of a rule if disobeyed provides a temporary security. Though not on the longterm.)

What, in your mind, is a "snipe hunt?"

Moderators are monitoring the forum always. Some forums are granted a wee bit more leeway by nature of their intent and purpose. However, sniping is not good form and is certainly not worthy of respect nor a sign of dignified, polite exchange.

Were you planning on asking for some edits? :ultracool

To avoid sniping. I dont know who you are talking to.
But if me, then. It is meant to get tighter like this.
When the population increases heavily, the air gets dirty.

Besides. Lets go do some buisness now.
http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=31450&hl=

The thing is. I cant really follow this rule outside this forum. If i do then i have transgressed and deserve a polite exchange.
(And it is not me who is sniping, but it is the other guys i reply to. Where i reply by the like of what they give me)

My version.
Personal shots at my intelligence will be accepted in this case :)
This is a joke.
Ok, I feel dumb, but can someone please define trolling and "challenge post" too?
That is when you expect something else from something else. If that something else does not meet your expectations, then it has challenged you. - Or if you challenge something, and it accepts your challenge.
Only tough things are either this or that. A muslim is not excatly, but the quran is exactly.

A challenge post is one where an individual "suggests" that they "meet" to "work it out", or flat out says something along the lines of "if I see you, I'll kick your ***."
Conserning me, i have had such an attitude. And i can honestly not preform it.
But ... i am doing this because of "accepting the challenge" of the others.
And making sure that i prevent the challenge, because it is my doom if it gets executed. (Not to mention it is yours too when it is your forum)

Trolling is loosely defined as "deliberately provoking arguments on newsgroups or bulletin boards, with no other intent than to gain attention for the sake of attention." Basically a web troll is someone who is only here to cause problems. There are extensive discussions on them, their mannerisms and other characteristics floating around. Wiki is one good source. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll
I am not the social type. So i do not seek attention. Although the way i speek is challenging. ... I do have in common the challenging tone in my speaking, but i should not be classified as the other guys, who also speek challenging.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right. But the things is NOT saying anything else but the truth when one has the choise between is shortterm and longterm.
(The shortterm with orgins in fear of consequences of a rule if disobeyed provides a temporary security. Though not on the longterm.)

To avoid sniping. I dont know who you are talking to.
But if me, then. It is meant to get tighter like this.
When the population increases heavily, the air gets dirty.

Besides. Lets go do some buisness now.
http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php?showtopic=31450&hl=

The thing is. I cant really follow this rule outside this forum. If i do then i have transgressed and deserve a polite exchange.
(And it is not me who is sniping, but it is the other guys i reply to. Where i reply by the like of what they give me)

My version.

This is a joke.

That is when you expect something else from something else. If that something else does not meet your expectations, then it has challenged you. - Or if you challenge something, and it accepts your challenge.
Only tough things are either this or that. A muslim is not excatly, but the quran is exactly.

Conserning me, i have had such an attitude. And i can honestly not preform it.
But ... i am doing this because of "accepting the challenge" of the others.
And making sure that i prevent the challenge, because it is my doom if it gets executed. (Not to mention it is yours too when it is your forum)

I am not the social type. So i do not seek attention. Although the way i speek is challenging. ... I do have in common the challenging tone in my speaking, but i should not be classified as the other guys, who also speek challenging.

Huh?

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In an attempt to better manage things, we are experimenting with a rules-infraction system. We are often asked "which post" and "why". This system will send you a note indicating which rules and which post are in question. The system also weights each infraction with points.

If you 'earn' 20 points, your account is suspended until the points expire.
If you somehow earn 100 points, your account is banned.

Most points expire after a certain period of time, ranging from a week to a few months.

A sample of the setup is below:
1 point / 3 months: Ignored Moderator Warning - 1st Offense
2 points / 3 months: Ignored Moderator Warning - 2nd Offense
4 points / 3 months: Ignored Moderator Warning - 3rd Offense
1 point / 1 week: Sniping
1 point / 1 week: Insulted Other Member(s)
1 point / 1 week: Rude Post
1 point / 1 week: Profanity Filter Violation
2 points / Never: Trolling
100 Points / Never: Challenge Post

Right now, infractions are only being issued after an issue is discussed among the staff, and only senior staff can issue them.

Any questions on the system, please ask.
Well ... A new rule.
What is right, is right.

By this rule, you are asking me to totally drop the softer side, and play exactly along by the rules. And speaking directly "evil speech".
Which i dont mind doing, but i will need the consensus of the others for that most likely. (You cant be right in either way)

This system will prove being useless later on i guess "as it gets tigheter". Buat the thing is when it is very tight, one cannot think correctly about right and wrong.
And therefore will will have much power, and nothing of ethics.

I think that ... that is the objective for the moment.

And you cannot say this is disrespective post when i play along the rules. - Then you would be contradicting yourself.

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am not sniping. :D
(I will always be doing that to a certain degree, but i cannot quit sniping before you quit sniping. Asking me to drop my gun is not a reasonable request. Selfcontradicting. (It is a good rule like said. Almost like no rule)
The only thing i am doing is basically brining the theory to practical example.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The only thing i am doing is basically brining the theory to practical example.
The only thing you are doing is making a lot of posts that make no sense, and in fact, make my eyes hurt.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mr. Mustafa,

I don't believe anyone here is sniping you, moreso they are failing to understand you. This thread is for information regarding a new system we are implementing to help us do a better job of moderating this site in the fairest way we can. I for one, can not understand where you are going with this.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if he is truly mustafa, he cannot resist when asked the same question 3x's.

now, what is the location of Dr Evil's secret volcano lair?

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On a forum, and in life, one has a choice in every situation. One can choose to respond, react, report, reply, or ignore.

To ignore, or to do nothing, is still a choice.

To respond to a comment in a polite manner is one of the preferred actions.

You can react, however this tends to bring action against you.

You can reply to things, the tone of which will determine the next move.

You can also in the case of a hostile reply report it and let our staff deal with it.

Some examples.
Your child is sick. Do you want him/her to respond to the medicine, or react to the medicine?

Someone suggests that ones maternal parent mates outside her species. You can fire a flaming arrow back comparing the commenter to a bovines waste product, or you can ignore it as you know the truth, or you can report the insult to our staff, who will politely take the offender out back by the woodshed and introduce them to a clue-by-four.

Some people have the idea that if they do not fire back, that their "street cred" will somehow suffer. They fail to understand that learned discourse amongst enlightened individuals is the goal of this forum, not bragging rights among the unenlightened barbarians who only want to boot some head.

Or, put simply, someone takes a shot at you, report em, let us deal with it, otherwise, you'll take a hit too, sometimes a worst one for upping the heat level. :)

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The only thing you are doing is making a lot of posts that make no sense, and in fact, make my eyes hurt.
That is true.
Mr. Mustafa,

I don't believe anyone here is sniping you, moreso they are failing to understand you. This thread is for information regarding a new system we are implementing to help us do a better job of moderating this site in the fairest way we can. I for one, can not understand where you are going with this.
Do you mind giving me a link for definition of sniping? (I tried google, but i got information about sniping)

I dont know what the purpouse of this rule was. But i know that it is giving me the choise of speaking and getting banned. Or not speaking, but getting banned. - Which is ... i guess that is fair enough.
But the thing is, if you allow me to follow this rule. That will mean i will break the other rules.

if he is truly mustafa, he cannot resist when asked the same question 3x's.
now, what is the location of Dr Evil's secret volcano lair?
He has no command-center (nothing i know about). And is everywhere.:ultracool

Or, put simply, someone takes a shot at you, report em, let us deal with it, otherwise, you'll take a hit too, sometimes a worst one for upping the heat level. :)
Right. Thanks

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But the thing is, if you allow me to follow this rule. That will mean i will break the other rules.

Let me make sure I completely understand your statement.

You are saying that you have no intentions of following all the rules and terms and conditions you agreed to follow when you signed up here?

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Let me make sure I completely understand your statement.

You are saying that you have no intentions of following all the rules and terms and conditions you agreed to follow when you signed up here?
I am not saying that.
I mean that this rule contradicts the other rules you have. And i cannot follow both of them. Meaning you have the choise between keeping the one rule or the other regulations.
Because the only way around this if one wishes to participate in discourse, is to not speak.
And that is not the point of this forum.

When i said i will. I could have said one will.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sniping, as defined here, are the little subtle shots or digs that people tend to use to get a shot in under the radar.

An extreme example of a subtle snipe might be someone saying "dumb New Yorkers", in a thread about kata where everyone involved is from California....except that you know that the guy you're arguing withs wife is from NY. Is it opinion when something is deemed a snipe? Yes. Some are obvious, some are not. We believe that serious martial artists should strive to be above such pettiness.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here is an example of a situation. It is hypothetical only.

Person A says "Your Mother". (A common street insult)

You can walk away and ignore it or continue the conversation as if you did not hear it.

You can reply with a threat/insult or physically attack (real world reaction).
This will cause an escalation of force.

You can reply with a well thought out response. This can be humor, a polite deflection, or a simple denial indicating the others facts are in error.

You can (depending on the nature of the attack) contact the police (here, mods).

One does not always have to meet force with force, fire with fire.
Carefully thinking before one speaks (posts) is suggested. This is easier online, as one can take a few minutes, reread what they have written, and make corrections before posting it so as to avoid as much as possible, misunderstandings.

Another example is that there is a large difference between the phrases "I disagree" and "you're fn wrong". The later will get you 1-2 warnings (profanity filter circumvention / flaming reply).

In truth, things are alot simplier than they appear. Think before posting & proofread what you write. These 2 will save you from most worries.

Mustafa

Orange Belt
Reaction score
In truth, things are alot simplier than they appear. Think before posting & proofread what you write. These 2 will save you from most worries.
My thinking capacity is not big.
Yet, what is the mistake i did?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not saying that.
I mean that this rule contradicts the other rules you have. And i cannot follow both of them. Meaning you have the choise between keeping the one rule or the other regulations.

Perhaps you could quote those rules which you feel are self-contradictory for us and send them in an email or private message format to the owner.

Latest Discussions