New guy....

delaford321

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome all, it's great how many newbies are making their way to the MT forum!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Welcome. Where's your school? I'm also in covington... small world. I train at abjj school down in kent.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi Denny nice to meet you.
Your style's name are very strange to me:
Quan shou dao kungfu and Maki Te Jujutsu.

I am curious what Hanzi the teacher used to make Quan Shou dao. It sounds just strange to me. Also Maki te jujutsu sounds very strange too.

I do not mean to sound rude just if you say these things to a native they may look at you strange.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MA. Glad you are enjoying your MA study. There is no such thing as a bad MA. There are bad instructors and bad students, and different MA bay stress different things, but no bad MA.

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Welcome. Where's your school? I'm also in covington... small world. I train at abjj school down in kent.

Ha ha, how about that! I train at Meridian Ju Jitsu. It's right behind the QFC off James St. You should come check it out some time. Sensei Glenn offers two classes for free, and people are always welcome to look, even if it's just for fun.

I've heard good things about ABJJ. How do you like it? I wish I had more time and money, because I would love to add BJJ to the schedule! Ha ha.

Great to have you here Denny. Hope you`ll be around for a long time.

Thank you David. It's a pleasure to be here. I'm sure you'll see plenty of my worthless posts! Ha ha ha:ultracool

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi Denny nice to meet you.
Your style's name are very strange to me:
Quan shou dao kungfu and Maki Te Jujutsu.

I am curious what Hanzi the teacher used to make Quan Shou dao. It sounds just strange to me. Also Maki te jujutsu sounds very strange too.

I do not mean to sound rude just if you say these things to a native they may look at you strange.

You don't sound rude at all. Here is a little more about it:

According to my Sensei, it's a compilation of, Wing Chun Kung Fu blended with Xing Yi power punching techniques, Shuai Chiao throwing and sweeping, and Chin Na seizing and controlling techniques. The Quan Shou Dau, means "Rolling hand way" and the "Maki Te", if I recall correctly, means basically the same thing.

Hope this helps!

Greeting, Denny. Welcome aboard and enjoy.

Thank you seasoned! Much appreciated!

Welcome to MA. Glad you are enjoying your MA study. There is no such thing as a bad MA. There are bad instructors and bad students, and different MA bay stress different things, but no bad MA.

Very true, and thanks for welcoming me!

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't sound rude at all. Here is a little more about it:

According to my Sensei, it's a compilation of, Wing Chun Kung Fu blended with Xing Yi power punching techniques, Shuai Chiao throwing and sweeping, and Chin Na seizing and controlling techniques. The Quan Shou Dau, means "Rolling hand way" and the "Maki Te", if I recall correctly, means basically the same thing.

Hope this helps!

!
Hi Denny,
I think he meant this: 巻手道 my friend thinks he meant some other hanzi.
I understand from the website he meant rolling hand way but the pin yin seems strange to me which is why I was asking for the hanzi. 巻(I read this as juan which means to wrap so maybe he meant juan shou dao or maybe 巻 can be read as quan and there is something I am missing. :idunno:
Maki te jujutsu sounds very strange even though I know what it means 巻手柔術.
It's just that when natives hear these they think it sounds strange that's all.

There have been people who have come to this site with strange sounding school names in Japanese or Chinese so I try to kindly point it out to them first, before people who are not so kind do it. Anyway nice to have you here!

:wavey:

OP
C Denny Run*

C Denny Run*

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Very interesting..... Thanks for the insight! To tell you the truth, I'm so new to it, that I all I can do is regurgitate what I've been told. Ha ha! I do appreciate the correction.

Latest Discussions