New gladiators video clip

K

Kenpomachine

Here is the link
New Gladiators

I haven't seen the clip completely due to a slow connection, but there's Steve Sanders, I think, with a black gi and the IKKA crest.

OP
P

pineapple head

Is this a video you can buy , tell me more please.:)

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, its a couple of hour long DVD documentary thing that came out last year. You can order an R1 DVD from the states (no good if you can't region hack your DVD, or if it isn't R0 by default) that works out at about £25 once they've shipped it over here, or I think Hayashi UK are distrubuting a (presumably R2) copy in the UK, for about £22.

Here's the Rising Sun link:

http://www.risingsunproductions.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=260

I'll have to dig the Hayashi one out.

HTH,

Ian.

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ah, here's the advert from Martial Arts Illustrated:

http://www.satansbarber.co.uk/files/newglad.jpg

They're doing it for £19.95, doesn't say whether it's R1 or R2 so you'd have to check if that's going to affect you, or you could order it on tape (again though, if they're importing them from the States, there's a possibility it could be NTSC and not PAL (I'm half wondering if the BKKU are sending me NTSC Larry Tatum tapes...I hope they bloody aren't...))

Not only is their URL mis-printed in the advert, the correct URL also appears to be dead, so I guess you'd have to ring them!

Ian.

P.S. SGM Parker's in it for about 30 seconds, maybe 10 of which he's actually doing Kenpo, so don't go buying it for footage of him!

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by pineapple head

It's good, but not enough Kenpo, or Master Parker for me. Focuses too much on one particular fighter.(Can't remember his name)Don't get the dvd, the tape is more controlable.:asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo
It's good, but not enough Kenpo, or Master Parker for me. Focuses too much on one particular fighter.(Can't remember his name)Don't get the dvd, the tape is more controlable.:asian:

Hmm? How have you got better control over a tape than a DVD? DVD has digital pause (no jumping or jittering) and variable speed (usually 2x-32x) fast forward and rewind as well as variable speed slow motion...? Plus, you're not going to wear a DVD out by punishing it like that, where as you will with a tape (easily).

I think it's Roy Kurban that the tape focuses on, not sure why really!

Ian.

OP
K

Kenpomachine

Originally posted by pineapple head

You can clik on http://www.risingsunproductions.net/
and in the bottom there's this little image of the site to the video description. They're advertising it as footage film to be narrated by Elvis, about a tour of an american fighters team to Europe. Something like that.

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by satans.barber
Hmm? How have you got better control over a tape than a DVD? DVD has digital pause (no jumping or jittering) and variable speed (usually 2x-32x) fast forward and rewind as well as variable speed slow motion...? Plus, you're not going to wear a DVD out by punishing it like that, where as you will with a tape (easily).

I think it's Roy Kurban that the tape focuses on, not sure why really!

Ian.

Unless I'm doing something wrong, you cannot go to chapters on that dvd. If you look for something in particular, you must start from the beginning. That's a long stretch on that dvd. I think it was made poorly.:confused:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by satans.barber
It's Roy Kurban that the tape focuses on, not sure why really!

The intro in the DVD tells about the history of this taping ('74/5). The purpose was to follow a top competitor around the circuit and expose the tournament scene. Roy was the choice at that time since he was the probable top competitor.

:asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Roy Curbin was the fighter out of Dallas. He still runs a huge school and was the largest tournament promoter in Texas for years.

He fought Steve Muhammid, founder of the BKF.

Sigung Steven LaBounty was the head ref in the finals, which made it interesting to me. This was a project of passion for Mr. Parker. The early footage has been around for many years, but not accessable to but a few, with no narration. Elvis's estate held up the project, if I remember correctly, until after Mr. Parker's death. He always wanted to get this done.

The connection to him is the intrinsic value, that and for modern student's to see where they came from, how the Art has developed, etc.

Are you coming in for the Dennis Conatser seminar? Should I mail you some flyers?

Oss,
-Michael

OP
K

Kirk

Unless I'm doing something wrong, you cannot go to chapters on that dvd. If you look for something in particular, you must start from the beginning. That's a long stretch on that dvd. I think it was made poorly.:confused:

Absolutely true. As much as I'd like to blame it all on Mr Castillo's non technical ability ... I can't :(

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7
Watch what you are saying buster...........
It can't be bad, I'm in it!!
:rofl:

:mad:

Hey that's why I bought it, cause you're in it!:mad:

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Michael Billings
Roy Curbin was the fighter out of Dallas. He still runs a huge school and was the largest tournament promoter in Texas for years.

He fought Steve Muhammid, founder of the BKF.

Sigung Steven LaBounty was the head ref in the finals, which made it interesting to me. This was a project of passion for Mr. Parker. The early footage has been around for many years, but not accessable to but a few, with no narration. Elvis's estate held up the project, if I remember correctly, until after Mr. Parker's death. He always wanted to get this done.

The connection to him is the intrinsic value, that and for modern student's to see where they came from, how the Art has developed, etc.

Are you coming in for the Dennis Conatser seminar? Should I mail you some flyers?

Oss,
-Michael

Sadly, I cannot attend. Right now I being pulled in 2 different directions, and other out of town plans were made, so I'll have to read about it. I do appreciate yours, and Mr. Conatsers invitations, and thoughts. It's good to know there are other Kenpo friends out there. Hopefully,
I'll be able to go out that way in the future. Thanks, and respects :asian:

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ah, I see what you mean (I thought you meant DVDs in general) - no, there's no chapters, and yes that is pretty poor!

My DVD player has a button that you push and then enter a time, so you can jump to any particular point in the film that you've noted the time of, I guess that would have to suffice if there was something in particular you wanted to watch...

Tapes don't ave chapters either, so I'd still get the DVD and use the feature above over buying a tape, personally.

Ian.

OP
W

webpage20022003

i watched it......it is very cool..........but it is too fast. I will enjoy more if i can see a whole thing.

all the guys in this clip are kenpo guys? is this kenpo tournament?

OP
P

ProfessorKenpo

Originally posted by kenpo3631
Is the guy Mr. Parker is doing the demo on? Is that Doc Chapel'???:asian:

Nope, I believe that's Crazy George Quiones, was part of Sullivans group at that time. He got his sixth when Vic got his 5th and Chuck got his 7th.

Have a great Kenpo day

Clyde

OP
P

pineapple head

Hey my copy came today.
Good viewing.:)
Are those guys still about now?????:asian:

OP
K

KenpoDragon

Just wanted to say great footage!!!!! I especially liked the part with Mr.Parker demonstrating the superior hand speed of Kenpo......sorry ego getting to big for the room!!! If someone could please state the price in American dollars I would appreciate it. Thanks,:asian: