New and improved description

D

disciple

I am rather disagree about the tai chi description on the first page, cause its only explains about the relaxation and body exercise without inserting tai chi's combat value in it.

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz

LOL
I stole most of my summaries from descriptions I found. Maybe you guys who know TaiChi can write us a better one? :D

Seriously. Someone start a thread, and see if you can distill a brief description, say 20-30 words, and when ya have it ready, I'll put it up. :)

Do a longer version, and I'll set it up as the intro description to this forum. (with credit given of course)

:asian:

salute

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We need some movement on this!

"Tai Chi is a popular martial art that is also practiced as a form of exercise."

OP
D

disciple

Tai chi is a Chinese martial art that can be practiced as a health exercise or self defense. The idea behind tai chi is in order to fight effectively, one must be able to equalize both yin and yang, yielding with maximum softness yet striking with maximum hardness, and bring offense and defense into a seamless balance.

salute

OP
T

Tachi

I'm going to agree with the description 'disciple' gave. It seems to cover all the important points in a few, concise words.

Nice job!

Tachi

OP
R

RobP

It's interesting though that in the Training thread people only seem to talk about practicing form or some qigong. So where does the fighting comein?

OP
D

disciple

Originally posted by RobP

It's interesting though that in the Training thread people only seem to talk about practicing form or some qigong. So where does the fighting comein?

That's exactly what I thought before...till someone in this forum told me that they have used tai chi chuan in real street fighting and that I needed to seek for a new teacher...and I did just that :D If you have been only practicing the form and qigong, you are missing out the other half part of tai chi chuan ;)

salute

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Tai chi can definitely be used for fighting. It was developed as a martial art and for use in self defense after all, not merely a health exercise. The problem is most places leave out the martial applications when teaching. I'm learning a long form of Yang style tai chi as part of my kung fu class (we have a few separate groups doing different forms). The main focus right now, since we're all beginners, is just getting the form down. But our teacher does show us combat applications of moves now and then. Having an idea of how the move is actually used can help us learn it better, get things down properly more quickly. One good example is a part of one move that involves stepping back at an angle, but not a 45 degree angle. Most movements align along N,S,E,W or NW,NE,SW,SE. Our teacher showed us that the reason for it is that it follows a blocking move and sets up the proper angle and distance for a strike to follow that block. Without the demo, we'd have to keep remembering what angle to step at. With it, it makes more sense more quickly and takes less time to remember. As noted, we don't focus a lot on the combat applications right now because we're still in the process of just learning the moves. But they are definitely there, we see them now and then, and they do help us understand things better. This is why I'm glad I'm getting tai chi from this teacher in the kung fu class instead of say the recreational classes the university offers. I figured I'd be getting more of the martial aspects here and I think it is important to know about them.

OP
T

Tachi

I agree with Dronak. I study Chen style, which is best known for hard/soft and fast/slow combinations of movments as well as silk reeling energy which is very useful in martial application. I remember as a newer student just getting the basic movement down as well as some energy work. It has taken awhile to learn the applications. My Sifu teaches Shaolin Chuan Fa as well as Chen Tai Chi. It makes a good balance.

Something fun I get to play with now is in push hands or light sparrring with students from the "dark side". They come in full-force using external kung fu energy and I get to "show" them that Tai Chi isn't a woosy art that has no application.

Imagine the face of a high ranked Kung Fu student getting taken down by a petite Tai Chi woman. :D

Tachi

OP
D

disciple

What is silk reeling? and silk reeling energy? Thx

salute

OP
T

Tachi

From what I've learned, Chen Tai Chi has a strong emphasis in spiral movements. It is compared to drawing silk out of a cocoon - even when the thread is pulled in a straight line, there is a small circling or spiraling movement that helps the thread undwind without breaking - hence "silk reeling" or "chan ssu jin". This type of "energy" can be very powerful since it stays relaxed until needed in an explosive (fa jin) movement.

If you're curious, check out "Chen Style Taijiquan" by Davadine Siaw-Voon Sim. It's a great resource on the Chen style.

What style do you study, if I may ask?

Tachi

OP
D

disciple

I have been studying yang style...recently I started to take chen style too, but it looked like I made the wrong decision taking that class, because the teacher only teach it for tournament/demos, so I had to quit immediately....you know what they say:
It's better to wait 3 years for a good teacher rather then learn 1 year from a bad teacher :)

salute

OP
T

Tachi

That's too bad - at least you didn't get soured to the style (I hope).

Something you may want to consider is checking out is the set of video tapes by Dr. Paul Lam. You can find them on Wayfarer Publications with Tai Chi magazine. He's very easy to follow and gives good detail on mechanics and as much on energy as a video can...the one I like best is the 36 form tape.

I know a video can't replace an instructor, but if you are interested in Chen style, this could be a good way to get your toes wet and see if it really suits you. I get the feeling you'd quite enjoy it.

Good talking....

Tachi

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
For reference, the main page description is:

Also known as Taijiquan / Tai Chi / T'ai Chi Ch'u"an, it is an art that is known for it's graceful movements and its stress relieving effects on the mind and body. This art combines relaxation and exercise in a series of continuous, flowing body movements.

Disciple's suggested change is:

Tai chi is a Chinese martial art that can be practiced as a health exercise or self defense. The idea behind tai chi is in order to fight effectively, one must be able to equalize both yin and yang, yielding with maximum softness yet striking with maximum hardness, and bring offense and defense into a seamless balance.

It seems to me that we're swinging from one side (primarily health) to the other (primarily fighting). :) Ideally, we should have some balance between the two aspects. Hmm, how about some sort of combination of the two and yes, I'm going to kind of copy. Ignoring alternate spellings of "tai chi", how about something like:

Tai chi is an art that is known for its graceful movements and its stress relieving effects on the mind and body. However, it is also an effective fighting art primarily based on the philosophy of yin and yang, finding and using the right balance between hardness and softness to overcome one's opponent.

?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm new here, and maybe haven't quite earned the right to be critical, but... :D

While I like the submission that Dronak tossed into the fray, I think it should be rearranged from this -

Tai chi is an art that is known for its graceful movements and its stress relieving effects on the mind and body. However, it is also an effective fighting art primarily based on the philosophy of yin and yang, finding and using the right balance between hardness and softness to overcome one's opponent.

to this -

Tai Chi is an effective fighting art primarly based on the philosophy of yin and yang, finding and using the right balance between hardness and softness to overcome one's opponent. However, the graceful movements of the form, their stress relieving effects on the mind and body, and the general benefits Tai Chi practice has on the overall health of the practitioner form the primary draw for many practitioners.

Or words to that effect. I think that by placing the fighting issue first, we reinforce in a subtle way the fact that Taiji is a fighting art used for health maintenance, not a method of health maintenance that is used for fighting...

Just my humble and unsolicited 2 yen...

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
...but it probably should be a bit shorter than Yiliquan1's version if possible. Still, I like his idea of putting the martial first--even if most people practice it for health, this is a martial arts board. Who wants to take another crack at it?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't said much as I want you folks to really make it 'yours', ya know?

only thing I'll toss out is word count... Yiliquan1's is 68 words... the Wing Chun forums desc. is 66. (I went back and counted)

Length is fine...try and keep it under 70 words though. When you guys agree its ready, I'll put it up. :)

(actually, this is working out real good. we should probably do this for some of the other forums here too. :) )

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Y'know, I wasn't going to post, actually, because I figured as a "newbie" around here I would probably just be ignored anyway...

Nice to know that this place is open and receptive to new faces...

Gotta spread the word about you guys! Some of the other web forums are VERY clannish and it is difficult to even be taken seriously if you lack the stones to keep posting even when flamed.

Cool Stuff!

OP
C

Chiduce

Ami Tou Fou! My sifu also uses tai chi ch'uan in streetfighting. He instructs in both Chen and Yang style tai chi! Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

Latest Discussions