NEW!! AKKI video-clips

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

This was posted on the AKKI forum:

AKKI

Alan Jacobs (AKKI 6th)
.....We also have more clips coming up on our camp page that Ryan has not gotten to of some very real body reactions. Some archive footage and recent as well. Also a clip of Mr. Parker smokin' through 5 Swords with his partner

Be sure to check the website in a few days

satans.barber

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
Somebody tried that about 10 years ago. I think they called it the Ultimate Fighting Championship or something like that. It was too brutal, so a lot of Kenpoists didn't like it. Then they changed the UFC rules to make it less brutal and now some Kenpoists think it is too unrealistic.

The UFC is still going, but it's still got rules and a referee and it's still gloved up.

Ideally my experiment would take place in a pub so all the kenpo seniors could smash the attackers faces into the bar and stuff :)

Ian.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ian: I was half-joking (again) about the UFC thing...as some Kenpoists criticise me as a MMA bigot...

But, I like your pub idea. You could even setup handicap rules:

<1yr martial arts experience: not required to take a drink before fighting.
1-2 yrs martial arts experience: 1 drink required before fighting
2-4 yrs experience: 2 drinks required
4-7 yrs: 3 drinks
7-10 yrs: 4 drinks
10+ yrs: 5 drinks.
Add 1 drink for every 20 lbs above 175lbs, subtract one drink for every 20lbs below 175 (if not enough drinks, provide strong coffee).

So, you could have a 135lb guy with no expereince and 2 cups of coffee fighting somebody like me after 7 drinks. I think that would be pretty funny! I'd get my butt kicked!

OP
K

Kenpo Yahoo

Ideally my experiment would take place in a pub so all the kenpo seniors could smash the attackers faces into the bar and stuff

Ian.

Interestingly enough, Mr. Mills worked and developed a bunch of his material while maintaining order at his dad's bar in Evanston. This was back when Evanston was a big oil town and the workers would come in to kick a few back. As with most Adult Beverage establishments, things would sometimes get out of control. This was also back before lawsuits were popular, so you can imagine what it must have been like.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Old Fat Kenpoka said:
But, I like your pub idea. You could even setup handicap rules:

<1yr martial arts experience: not required to take a drink before fighting.
1-2 yrs martial arts experience: 1 drink required before fighting
2-4 yrs experience: 2 drinks required
4-7 yrs: 3 drinks
7-10 yrs: 4 drinks
10+ yrs: 5 drinks.
Add 1 drink for every 20 lbs above 175lbs, subtract one drink for every 20lbs below 175 (if not enough drinks, provide strong coffee).

I heard a story about a shotokan black belt test that consisted only of kumite. The instructor brought out a pitcher of sake and had the testees drink one shot of sake before every round. They proceeded to fight for hours until each student was completely drunk and the fighting devolved into a sloppy drunken brawl. I can only imagine the headaches those poor bas...lucky black belts had the next morning. Be an interesting way to see how your technique stands up to a degradation of fine motor skills. I'm sure there are several here who have participated in a little DrunKenpo.

-Rob