New 6th Gup Green Belt

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm sure most of you have seen the clips - but generally when multiple board breaking like that is done, they will sent all of the boards on blocks with spacers in between and do a straight down break.
I didn't know that! However, I have seen three boards broken without spacers.

Are the spacers to absorb shock? But would shock absorption make it harder to break the boards?

By a straight down break, do you mean a hammer strike?

agemechanic03

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just seen the video, pretty awesome!!! And with your question to MBuzzy about the strikes used....Hammers aren't seen that often, especially with several boards or bricks...Generally they use a downward palm strike or elbow strikes when doing multiple (5+ boards/ bricks).

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
Impressive video; I did indeed count 15 boards, and they look like the right size.

And yeah, I've broken 3 boards without spacers with an elbow strike (though not point of elbow) before, on a downwards angle. It's definitely possible, I was just incredulous, wondering how it would be broken.

I guess we need better terminology, since "elbow strike" can mean either a strike with the side of the elbow/end of forearm or a thrust with the point of the elbow. Is there a Korean difference? I've heard both referred to as "pal koop kong kyuk," I think.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Impressive video; I did indeed count 15 boards, and they look like the right size.

And yeah, I've broken 3 boards without spacers with an elbow strike (though not point of elbow) before, on a downwards angle. It's definitely possible, I was just incredulous, wondering how it would be broken.

I guess we need better terminology, since "elbow strike" can mean either a strike with the side of the elbow/end of forearm or a thrust with the point of the elbow. Is there a Korean difference? I've heard both referred to as "pal koop kong kyuk," I think.
Wish I could answer that one!

Latest Discussions