Never Before Has It Been Possible to Make So Many Errors So Quickly.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051209/ap_on_bi_ge/japan_botched_trade

Botched Stock Trade Costs Japan Firm $225M

Japan's government rebuked the Tokyo Stock Exchange and one of the country's biggest brokerage firms Friday after a typing error caused Mizuho Securities Co. to lose at least 27 billion yen, or $225 million, on a stock trade.

[...]

The trouble began Thursday morning, when Mizuho Securities tried to sell 610,000 shares at 1 yen — less than a penny — apiece in a job recruiting firm called J-Com Co., which was having its public debut on the exchange.

It had actually intended to sell 1 share at 610,000 yen, or $5,041.

Worse still, the number of shares in Mizuho's order was 41 times that of J-Com's true outstanding amount, but the Tokyo Stock Exchange processed the order anyway.

Mizuho says it tried to cancel the order three times, but the exchange said it doesn't cancel transactions — even if they are executed on erroneous orders.

(Emphasis added.) Wow, what an effect a transposition can have! Someone is a new millionaire because of this, I'm sure.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We've all been a bti dyslexic at tmies.

I wonder what my boss wuold do fi I mixed up two nubmers that cost the company a quatrer billion dollars?

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't something like this happen at another one of the stock exchanges just a few months ago? I think was also an Asian Exchange, but I can't remember.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Something like this has indeed happened before, but I can't recall the details.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The cost of this error now stands at $341 million (40 billion yen), according to the WSJ. A Swiss bank may donate their $140 million in gains to an invetsor-protection fund, but the Japanese bank still won't get it back.

BlueDragon1981

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey the stock market always has risk..lol...of course you always hope the numbers aren't wrong....That is a lot of cash...

Latest Discussions