Need Translation

T

Ty K. Doe

The highest level Martial Arts teaching license available, the coveted Menkyo Kaiden (quote from seishinkan.com, regarding John Viol).

I named my son Kaiden. My wife and I thought we had made the name up.

After I saw the words Menkyo Kaiden on the seishinkan web site I was curious of the translation of those words.

Anybody know?

OP
D

David4516

The word "Menkyo" does indeed mean license. The closest thing I can find for "kaiden" in my japanese/english dictionary is "kaiten", wich means "rotation".

the japanese characters for the "de" and "te" are almost identical...

OP
M

MisterMike

Some more info:

http://www.aikidoonline.com/Archives/2002/sep/feat_0902_tmra.html

"In the older bujutsus, the ranking titles were inka, menkyo, etc. These systems still survive in the bujutsus and classic budo (budoka), still practiced today.

This older system was composed of the following classification:
- shoden
- chuden
- okuden
- menkyo kaiden
- mokuroku, inka (certificates or titles awarded by the traditional schools, which are equivalents of menkyo kaiden)

This system ensured the transmission of the art's secrets to the disciples. The meaning of each classification is as follows:

Shoden: initial transmission, that which is transmitted first.
Chuden: median transmission that ensures one has traveled over half the path.
Okuden: deep transmission of the essential teachings and those with hidden meaning (okugi, higi.)
Menkyo kaiden: certificate or title of one to whom all secrets have been taught without reservation.

The student who had been awarded the rank of menkyo kaiden could be called on to succeed to his master or to found a branch of his master's school."

At least you didn't name him Mokuroku :)