Need Bengay tonight....

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to this forum but not new to the martial arts. Spent over an hour today at the gym doing just kicks, nothing but kicking on bags. Would not have been so bad except I worked out in TKD class Saturday.

Going to be a tough day at work tomorrow.

My 'base' is TKD. But it's just that, my base. I have a very open mind and am interested in many of the arts as I find techniques and thoughts from each of them that fit with my own way of thinking. I guess I'm a JKD man in philosophy.

Anyway, I hope you will tolerate my visits.

Thanks,

Deaf

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to MartialTalk ... enjoy!

As far as muscle soreness, you ought to look into Chinese herbals, sometime much better than an over-the-counter lotion.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as muscle soreness, you ought to look into Chinese herbals, sometime much better than an over-the-counter lotion.

Quite right..Tigers Balm ( red) and White Flower Oil for sore muscles and Woodlock Oil for sore joints..Welcome to MT and good luck with your training...

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT!

It is great to have an open mind, but be sure to get some depth in your "base" art before you start branching out too much.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Enjoy your stay! :)

Mike

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kenpo,

Actually Budwieser helps the soreness more:)

I'm ok now, home from work for lunch, and I have to bone up tonight on IDPA practice. Never any rest for the weary!

Hope to have some discussion on speed enhancement tonight here!

And thanks for the invite guys.

Deaf

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. There's nothing like a hot soak in a tub full of Epsom salts for sore muscles. Now, if it would just do as much for a hyperextended elbow I'd be set.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Greetings Deaf,

Welcome to Martial Talk.

Bengay night...hehehe.

Do some stretches and take a cold shower (I personally prefer hot baths, but the cold water helps to relieve muscles sores better).

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, DS. I second the vote for the efficacy of Tiger Balm (wonderful stuff and smells great too :D).

hawke, I'm intrigued by your notes on cold showers versus hot baths.

I was always taught that soaking in a hot tub made the pain worse in the short run but provided a benefit in the longer term. The theory was that you were helping the muscle to stretch and re-knit rather than quelling the swelling that was due to excercise. Of course this was all very long ago and knowledge moves forward - could you elaborate a little on the biological logic?

OP
Deaf Smith

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hawke,

But cold showers shrink other parts of my anatomy I don't want shrunk!

Actually, I've found hot baths, especially since my left foot has arthritis (bunion from doing way to many roundhouses on a bag over the years) do wonders. After a hard day on my feet that hot bath does feel much better.

Deaf

Dagney Taggert

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

I am convinced that Epsom is the Second Coming, followed not too far behind by an ice cold shower. I read that a quick dip in cold water will help to calm the muscle inflammation. (Ha Ha Insert snappy retort here). But seriously! All kidding aside, if you can stand it, a cold shower is good.

Tiger Balm patches are excellent.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

And I have to chime in on the Tiger Balm ads myself!

Latest Discussions