Need Advice

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm persuing a career teaching martial arts and could use some input. My current backround includes bare knuckle boxing, pancration and karate. I've also taken jiu jitsu and kickboxing. I'm looking for any advice, input, tips and discussion of theorem. Who knows? You might find I have some valuable points of my own.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to MT. A couple of questions. Are you planning on opening your own school or teaching at someone elses? Are you planning on coaching fighters for MMA and/or kickboxing or will you be doing self defence type programmes? Not the third degree lol but hard to give any opinions unless we have an idea of what you have in mind.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel that there's nothing to really improve upon in JKD, I've just found from experience that my personal "style" is very effective, but painful to learn. I am planning on opening my own school in a couple of years, but getting some assistant teacher experience in the mean time at my karate school. I've taken traditional karate for 6 years, something called Taiyoku Jiu-Jitsu Kickboxing or Taiyoku Martial Arts (In my searches though, I've found Taiyoku isn't a real word, the applicable word, I think, is taiKyoku, but that's not how it's spelled on the certificate, maybe it's a personal interpretation thing)for four years, bare knuckle "backyard" boxing and "dirty" wrestling with my friends all my life. I've done a lot of self-taught breaking in which I've never actually injured myself (I don't consider bloody knuckles or sore wrists an injury until a certain point, which I've never reached as of yet). I found the key was to start slow and work my way up, and to do lots of Iron palm and makiwara training. I also train with 10lb burlap sand-bags which I hit myself all over with psychologically toughen mysef up.

I'll describe my style and fighting philosophy to you:

I have an "Irish fistacuffs" stance with my dukes way up high, my elbows pointing out at nose level and my feet a comfortable distance apart. My reasons for this are:
-Leaving my midsection open is a lead. I'm well aware of my midsection being vulnerable, and either they'll try to capitalise and get punished, or they'll clue in and not attack my torso.
-If someone attacks my head I'm allready in perfect position for a hook block, and if they throw a straight or an uppercut, even if they do get past my elbows, I'll headbutt their hand/fist.
-It makes it look like I'm not a wrestler/grappler, which I am
-My hands naturally fly really fast from this position
-I can always tuck if I need to
-They can't see where I'm looking (usually below the collarbone)
-I'm better off with a short stance, from which I can go to a long stance if need be, move around a lot faster/dodge etc. and, again, it's a lead for "footsweepers" to try to capitalise on and get jammed.

I like to use my breaking experience to hit people really hard in their guard.
-After a couple of bruises, and being hit in those bruises, the pain makes them not want to block anymore, but quite often they've learned to "keep their dukes up". There's a conflicting psychology at work here and which ever choice they make will be the wrong one. The right choice is to not fight.
-It toughens my knuckles. Extra training for me.

I don't concentrate too hard on doing anything a certain way. Instead, I concentrate on the fight at hand and let my body take care of itself.
-I don't have a really set style. It leaves me more fluid and capable of adapting.
-The softest thing cannot be broken.

I try to beat myself up harder than anyone else will (within reason).
-To develop pain tolerence and willpower
-To ingrain an instinct of the stop hit or "headbutt the fist approach"
-To be able to take a hit to the face and look at the guy and give him a choice, if I sense he didn't know what he was getting himself into. I'm not so nice to a dangerous person.

Did I mention "sack of antlers"?
-unless they know what they're doing, they'll feel there's no way to attack me without a weapon
-I like to punish them for every move they make and every inch they get
-It's good for playing football

I LOVE elbows! Knees are good too.
-elbows are great for breaking bones
-they get me closer to the "wrasslin' distance"
-they are, to my experience, the best fight enders, especialy the roundhouse elbow to the side of the jaw
-best defense against a knee is to elbow the thigh just above the knee and charley-horse them so bad thay can't stand on it (from my experience, mind you)
-They're the hardest part of my body short of my forehead

When I wrestle I get instantly desperate.
-My adrenaline shoots through the roof and I'm capable of much greater feats of strength and speed than normal
-I have long limbs and a high center of gravity. I'm also skinny. Combine that with my usual stance and they figure I'm better at striking than grappling, this is knowledge they don't have, which I like to use to my advantage.
-I learned from my dad. He was a canadian champion in high school. He's also a natural scrapper. He loves Bruce Lee too!
-I feel even less pain

I bite in a streetfight if I get the chance. Some people think that I might catch a disease doing this. But I weigh "death now" to "death later". In a street fight I assume they're trying to kill me.

Eye gouge, knee/foot stomp, "heisting the jewels", hair pull, throat punch/palm/grab etc., "whiskey kiss", ear pull/rip are all an essential part of any self defense program in my opinion. As are improvised weapons 101.

I might train in and have some knowledge of karate but it's just not my personal style. I take it because I enjoy it. When it comes down to it, anything I do is JKD. I've taken few things from karate and actually added them to my repertoire of self defense. I prefer the karate "cross-face" to the wrestling version and I use makiwara a lot.

I'm 24. I'd like to be ready to open up my own school by 30. I think I'll call it "Blood, Sweat and Tears" because of the training involved. I realise that I'm going to have trouble getting and keeping students, but if I can encourage them to get over that willpower and endurance hurdle, I think there's a little masochist in all of us. I do believe in proper anotomical training methods, seeking breaking advice from a proffessional before I teach others and extensive, proper warm ups, and to teach that "karate (or any other martial art for that matter)is for self defense only". I would also like to take that chance to encourage environmental, social and charitable intiatives to my students. I hope I don't sound too cocky. I'm really actually pretty meek and timid. I just enjoy what I do What do you think?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting! I think you should contact me, come over to the UK and have a couple of MMA fights to build up your credentials as that will look good on your resume! You can give as you have done, all your info but people do like something tangible before they start training with you. Okay it's only a competition but it gives people an idea of what you can do..... if you win!

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Not to open up a school but have been interested in my own style as well. But one of the things that I have learned, by way of my own instructors is that not all students will have the same skill level, intelligence (understanding), body type, so the techniques and style may have to be adjusted to conform to the student. I think with additional training like as you say as an assistant instructor you may gain this knowledge if you don't already, before opening your own school. My personal expresion and style may not be what the guy next to me in class exactly is.

Sensei Tom O'Brien

Green Belt
Reaction score
Em MacIntosh,
Good luck on your endeavor. Be careful with the makiwara training. Take it from an old guy. Back in the day it was 'in vogue' to pound the makiwara everyday at full throttle. I broke every knuckle save one. I have arthritis now due to the abuse. I recommend the heavy bag with hand wraps and bag gloves. Don't over do the makiwara.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Never been to the U.K.
Not much of a tournament fighter either.
I always enjoy learning from an expert.
A couple things I feel I should say
I'm not a black belt, I'm a blue belt in Chito-Ryu traditional karate.
I started when I was seven and left when I was thirteen
I'm a blue belt in Taiyoku Jiu Jitsu Kickboxing.
I started after I left Chito-Ryu and stayed with it solid until I was seventeen, after that it was off and on for the next couple of years.
As such I've never been graded to brown belt.
I've just been gym bouncing for a couple of months at a time as I move city to city, a great way to find a variety of sparring partners and njoy access to a wide range of perspective and wisdom.
I've just started traditional chito-ryu again. I'm also interested in choi lay fut, wing chun and kempo karate. I have a long way to go before I have a long way to go.

One of the most useful tips, and something I have no idea how to approach (I heard my share of theories), is about knife defense. The best one I've heard so far is to concentrate your attention on the knife until the knife is not a threat (a really horrible description, I know, bear with me). It basically means that your not nearly as worried about his other limbs. Chances are that he's concentrating on his knife as well,as that's his weapon. I imagine the people who really know something bout this subject might get a good laugh about how blind I might be, but my interest in defense in real situations is paramount and I'd be grateful for any genuine info on this.

As for makiwara, I was almost considering moving on to my own fire gong. I know it's reckless without the supervision of an expert (or physician!) but I have been considering it. I'll definitely ask around for an expert first.
I just don't want to lose what I feel is momentum. I always make sure I build up slowly and gradualy, and I feel like it's the next step.

I think I came across over-enthusiastic. I humble myself to any wisdom you have to offer.

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To Tez:
I'm grateful you would consider giving me the oppertunity. I would like to get the chance to take you up on that sometime, and see the U.K. too.
I might be doing that yet. Hopefully we'll keep in touch and I'll get the chance in the next couple years. I don't have a lot of tournament experience yet, I've been to a couple locals though.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To Tez:
I'm grateful you would consider giving me the oppertunity. I would like to get the chance to take you up on that sometime, and see the U.K. too.
I might be doing that yet. Hopefully we'll keep in touch and I'll get the chance in the next couple years. I don't have a lot of tournament experience yet, I've been to a couple locals though.

No worries! We don't exactly do tournaments more ultimate fighting ( I'll call it that until we get our summons to court from UFC lol! though why I'm laughing I'm not sure fellow promoters here have already got a writ)). The thing about MMA comps is that some wins in the ring/cage is very useful to demonstrate to people you can basically put your money where your mouth is. In business which is what you'll be in you need to demonstrate something that will get people into your classes to start with. Once in you can convince them by your teaching.You can tell them what you have told us but people need deeds not words to convince them to train and part with cash. You can hardly take on guys in the street to prove your techniques so MMA comps probably the best way, they are becoming better known and understood. Anyway good luck with what you want to do!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MOD NOTE

Thread moved to the General Martial Arts Forum for continued discussion.

Pamela Piszczek
MT Super Moderator

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As such I've never been graded to brown belt.
I've just been gym bouncing for a couple of months at a time as I move city to city, a great way to find a variety of sparring partners and njoy access to a wide range of perspective and wisdom.
I've just started traditional chito-ryu again. I'm also interested in choi lay fut, wing chun and kempo karate. I have a long way to go before I have a long way to go.

One of the most useful tips, and something I have no idea how to approach (I heard my share of theories), is about knife defense. The best one I've heard so far is to concentrate your attention on the knife until the knife is not a threat (a really horrible description, I know, bear with me). It basically means that your not nearly as worried about his other limbs. Chances are that he's concentrating on his knife as well,as that's his weapon. I imagine the people who really know something bout this subject might get a good laugh about how blind I might be, but my interest in defense in real situations is paramount and I'd be grateful for any genuine info on this.

As for makiwara, I was almost considering moving on to my own fire gong. I know it's reckless without the supervision of an expert (or physician!) but I have been considering it. I'll definitely ask around for an expert first.
I just don't want to lose what I feel is momentum. I always make sure I build up slowly and gradualy, and I feel like it's the next step.

I think I came across over-enthusiastic. I humble myself to any wisdom you have to offer.

I think overenthusiastic is an understatement...

You've got a lot of great ambitions, and clear drive to persue them. But, in your zeal, you're doing a lot of things without the proper guidance. That's got a real good chance of coming back and biting you in the end.

I'm going to suggest that you slow down a little. Focus on getting that formal ranking at least once, and decide what your focus will be. Bluntly, opening a school takes some sort of reputation/credentials, and formal ranking is one of them. A solid record as a MMA or similar competitor could be another way to get that. And -- all of that will help support an effort to get a business loan to get space & equipment when you decide to open a gym/school. If you insist on "doing your own style", sports is almost the only credible way to do it, absent lengthy military and/or police service. Sports and real self-defense are hard to do at the same time; too many aspects of each exclude the other.

For example -- there are lot of people with all sorts of ideas about how to answer your question about knife defense. There aren't nearly as many with direct, real world experience. But almost all of them will tell you that the best thing to bring to a knife fight is a gun. If you can't do that -- most will suggest a good pair of running shoes. Truthfully, and kidding aside, disarms and unarmed responses to a knife attack are the last option before standing there and getting stabbed. Why? Because, in a real world situation, there just aren't that many ways to do it without standing a very good chance of recieving a serious, possibly fatal injury yourself. (By the way... if I have to fight you with a knife, you better remember that I have feet, elbows, hands and more. I promise you that if I realize you're mesmerized by the knife... I'll just hit you with that hand you weren't watching.)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT and good luck on your endevours remember to have change in the style to fit everyones needs

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jks9199 brought up a very valid point, that if you are going to make a career out of teaching martial arts, then you need some credentials.

I'm not saying that you need an advanced black belt ranking, or that you need to have tournament victories, but people will often times make decisions on your history. Also, having the backing of an organization, can really help when it comes to operating a school.

I know of a good number of 2nd degree black belt holders that run successful dojos, but they've had help from their parent organizations, in that they were able to get good advice, and draw upon the knowledge of the organizations' experiences.

The good news here, though, is that you have stated that you are looking to open up a school further down the road, and that 6 years of dedicated training can get you to that point, where you would have the experience needed.

I'm going to suggest that you stick with your dojo at this time, train hard, and get involved with teaching at the school. Regardless of the style / system, good teachers in all martial arts styles / systems, share a number of characteristics, and the more you get involved in the teaching aspect, the more you'll pick up. Also, if you can learn about dojo operations from your sensei, then that can only help prepare you, especially since the business world can be quite cruel.

Good luck with your endeavors. Be patient, and don't rush things.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
jks9199 brought up a very valid point, that if you are going to make a career out of teaching martial arts, then you need some credentials.

I'm not saying that you need an advanced black belt ranking, or that you need to have tournament victories, but people will often times make decisions on your history. Also, having the backing of an organization, can really help when it comes to operating a school.

I know of a good number of 2nd degree black belt holders that run successful dojos, but they've had help from their parent organizations, in that they were able to get good advice, and draw upon the knowledge of the organizations' experiences.

The good news here, though, is that you have stated that you are looking to open up a school further down the road, and that 6 years of dedicated training can get you to that point, where you would have the experience needed.

I'm going to suggest that you stick with your dojo at this time, train hard, and get involved with teaching at the school. Regardless of the style / system, good teachers in all martial arts styles / systems, share a number of characteristics, and the more you get involved in the teaching aspect, the more you'll pick up. Also, if you can learn about dojo operations from your sensei, then that can only help prepare you, especially since the business world can be quite cruel.

Good luck with your endeavors. Be patient, and don't rush things.

You just brought something else to mind, that I barely hinted at...

BUSINESS TRAINING!

All the martial arts training and skill in the world won't do a lick of good if you don't know how to run a business. That's where some of the organizations are really helpful; they basically hand the school owner what almost amounts to a turn-key operation where the owner just has to fill in the slots. (Note that I said some; many will simply wish you luck, and advise you that the school OWNER rate is $$ over the student rate for membership...)

You need to have the basic business skills and tools to handle bills, collections, liability insurance, advertising, and a lot of stuff I'm probably not even thinking of. To get a loan, you probably need a good business plan -- and it's got to be in the write format, for example. If you've got people teaching for you -- you need to address the appropriate payroll issues. (One of these days, some schools that basically use dues paying students as instructors are going to be in for a rude awakening, I fear. Is the person a student or teacher; employee or client?)

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you everyone.
I've just been to see a physician and he reccomended I see a bone speacialist. I've decided to take a break from any further hand hardening exrcises as I'm beginning to lose mobility. I'd like to find a good MMA Coach in Toronto. Any recommendations?

OP
Em MacIntosh

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been to collage for business, marketing and management but don't have a lot of experience applying the management part yet. I've done marketing and sales in the past so I hope that experience might come in handy.

I think the two areas I'm lacking most in would be credentials and teaching experience. I'm learning some teaching experience at the moment but I need some years with good MMA coach before I'd ever compete in the ring with experts.

I'm pretty sure the specialist is going to tell me to quit or at least slow down. I'm going to have to weigh this on my mind. The way things are looking, I won't be opening a school for at least an additional five years.
No point in doing it unless I do it right though, and besides, there's always law school. I'm still continuing with karate and enjoying it though. I'll stick to that for now.