Name this Kata / Form ??? PLEASE!

A

Autocrat

Okay, no luck with this yet...... Aikido ashi waza, te ashi waza, happo unjo etc.... none of the above seems to have a lot associated with it, so heres a rough workings of it and hopefully someone here can ID the flaming thing!

1 - STEP FORWARD - (Left Leg Forward) – {Face Forward}

2 - STEP BACKWARD – (LLF) – {FF}

- *Return to Center*

3 – STEP BACKWARD – (LLF) – {FF}

4 – STEP FORWARD – (LLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

5 – STEP FORWARD – (change to RLF) – {FF}

6 – STEP BACKWARD – (RLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

7 – STEP BACKWARD – (RLF) – {FF}

8 – STEP FORWARD – (RLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

9 – STEP LEFT – (RLF) – {FF}

10 – STEP RIGHT – (RLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

11 – STEP RIGHT – (RLF) – {FF}

12 – STEP LEFT – (RLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

13 – STEP RIGHT – (RLF) – {FF}

14 – STEP LEFT – (RLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

15 – STEP LEFT – (RLF) – {FF}

16 – STEP RIGHT – (RLF) – {FF}

*RTC*

17 – STEP DIAGONALY F/L – (RLF) – {Face RIGHT}

18 – STEP DIAGOANALY B/R – (RLF) – {Face FORWARD}

*RTC*

19 – STEP DIAGONALY F/R – (RLF) – {Face LEFT}

20 – STEP DIAGOANALY B/L – (RLF) – {Face FORWARD}

*RTC*

21 – STEP DIAGOANALY B/L – (RLF) – {Face RIGHT}

22 – STEP DIAGONALY F/R – (RLF) –

{Face FORWARD}

*RTC*

23 – STEP DIAGOANALY B/R – (RLF) – {Face LEFT}

24 – STEP DIAGONALY F/L – (RLF) –

{Face FORWARD}

*RTC*

So, please, ID it before I give up!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are no blocks, or strikes, or did you omit them? Not much of a form without them. Its only steps. TW

OP
A

Autocrat

Only the footwork is included.... thus the ashi waza.... yet we normaly perform the sequence with open hands in guard position and step in ronodji dachi.... then we may do it with single punches, double punches, spear hand, jab and hook etc...... or in sanchin, kiba or zenkutso dachi for variety.....
It's basically for the practice of advancing or retreating, facing off to the opponent and figuring evasion techniques....(I think some of the turns are the base for tai sabaki?)...

So, any ideas?

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sounds like the octogon kata we use in kosho ryu.....you move your body to face all 8 sides...its purpose is to teach evasion and escaping.

OP
A

Autocrat

thanks...
Most of the time you face the front... it's only the last couple of moves that face the sides... and I don't beleive we face backwards at all..... still, I'll go see what I can find!

Certain it is a Kata.... just suprised at the lack of response. But I'll keep trying.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
if it is the octogon kata.....you dont generally face the rear unless you're doing a modified version of it. maybe your teacher learned it at a seminar or something.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It sounds somewhat similar to the ashi waza kata that we do in jujutsu. As far as I know our kata has no other name than "ashi waza kata" it's just a simple kata to teach, like said before, footwork and evasion.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have this kata in my Aikijujitsu there are more steps than what was said (at least in my kata) once I get the digital camera set up I will dispay the kata on this thread, my understanding is that this is how it was originally done.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
It sounds somewhat similar to the ashi waza kata that we do in jujutsu. As far as I know our kata has no other name than "ashi waza kata" it's just a simple kata to teach, like said before, footwork and evasion.
The name is correct but once you continue to learn more about the kata it has throws and strikes in it. A very devastating kata (just like any other)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No...my kata is different, same name and similar principles but it is a lot shorter...

OP
A

Autocrat

hah... LOL sorry, that hokey kokey thing.... we did the Kata the other night while humming the tune, then broke into a waltz!!!!

Still... so not only a slew of responses, but confirmation.... the problem I'm having is corraborating it. try looking on the NET for "ashi waza" or "octagon" etc.... can't find anything relating to it at all... tons of pages, yet most only mention things and lack descriptions.. and those that do describe list completely different details!

Yet it appears to be in both Aikido and jiu Jitsu, (der, not suprising! LOL)...

So... I await confirmation from yourselves.

Thank you all, at least I now have hopes of locating some details about this falming thing!

OP
A

Autocrat

What am I attempting to confirm... hmmm.... listing......

Origin - Creator - Styles that use it - Alternative names - Original name - Variations of it - whether it is Kata or not - that sort of thing.

Kizaru

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Autocrat said:
What am I attempting to confirm... hmmm.... listing......

Origin - Creator - Styles that use it - Alternative names - Original name - Variations of it - whether it is Kata or not - that sort of thing.
Have you tried asking those questions to the person you learned it from?

OP
A

Autocrat

ermmm.... yep!
They are the people that have asked me to find out more about it!

It's a little confusing.... they now own and run the club, but were taught by the original owner/sensei, who was a little, well, funny about some things.... never showing things the same to different people, varying details so no one knew what was right or wrong.... that sort of really childish behaviour!

So, what they got was something they were told is "Te Ashi Waza", and were told it was originally called "Aikido Ashi Waza".
They want some background details on it, variants, who generated it, what styles use it, that sort of thing!

Have a look on the net.... use a Search Engine and type in Ashi Waza, or Aikido + ashi waza...... millions of pages about leg/foot techniques... add + Kata to it, and you only slightly lessen the responses, and after trawling through 328 at last count, I still couldn't find anything close to it!

I know the movements fit into aikido.... it's the basic foot and arm work for sword movements or take-offs.... but cannot find a kata that matches.... I can find similar ones, but nothing that fits close enough to say, hey.... maybe it's a variant of that one!

So, I thought I'd ask around!

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Aikido does not use Kata, atleast not in the sense that is found in Karate.
SO although, this footwork is likely rooted in Aikido, you will not find a Kata to go with it.

Most likely the person that taught it to your Sensei modified the pattern of the exercise.

Generally, in an Aikido class, you would do similar types of exercises as part of a wanrmup routine. Techniques would be practiced later on using the footowrk.

If you don't want to bring an Aikido teacher to class for a seminar, then the only other options you have is going to an Aikido seminar or start reading Aikido books.

OP
A

Autocrat

I'm aware that the term KATA is different between different systems.... yet a majority have some sort of sequential training method... be it singular or partnered, set repititions of moves, perform moves in a particular order etc...... doesn't have to be like in most forms of Karate.... yet they tend to be there.... take boxing.... no KATA at all.... though you learn to jab then cross...jab, jab cross....jab, cross, jab hook!

See what I mean?

As far as I know, there are foot work patterns that are followed.... I am asuming that it as form or variant of this sort of thing! Others have already mention ten kan and happo unjo... so there are similar things.... just not quite what we have..... I'll keep looking.