Nage in Tang Soo Do

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In our hyung, there are a variety of nage. This thread is dedicated to linking the techniques shown in the hyung with various throws in question. Here is what I have come up with so far. One caveat that I would like to throw out though is that the techniques I'm linking are not always throws, these are just interpretations.

1. Sang dan mahkee in hu gul jaseh - deashi harai.

2. Double hand grab and front kick...this technique is shown in the pyung ahn forms and chil sung forms - soto gama.

3. Wheng jin kun kyuk - suquee nage

4. Three quarter turn from choong dan kun kyuk into ha dan mahkee - ogoshi

5. Sang soo ahneso pakuro mahkee in kyo cha rip jaseh - seo nage

6. Three quarter turn from sang dan mahkee to ha dan mahkee - seo goshi

7. Three quarter turn from chun kwan soo to choon dan soo do mahkee - tsurikomi goshi.

8. Drawing hands in and side kick shown in pyung ahn and bassai - harai goshi.

9. Crossing hands and front kick - tomi nage

10. Dropping hands after mong dongi in bassai - tai o toshi

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting, Kyo Sa Nim. I haven't seen the form, so I can't say too much.

I'm curious - are you just trying to interpret all moves from this form to nage and nothing else for the purpose of option?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I'm curious - are you just trying to interpret all moves from this form to nage and nothing else for the purpose of option?

The moves come from a number of forms. One of the things that I am trying to show is the diversity in the art. The options. Hopefully I'll be able to post some video on this soon.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd like to see that and it really sounds interesting! Number nine sounds like a common defense against a kick and we've done this standing and going back into tomoenagi.

Chizikunbo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The moves come from a number of forms. One of the things that I am trying to show is the diversity in the art. The options. Hopefully I'll be able to post some video on this soon.
Im looking forward to it :)

Reaction score
There are locks and throws all through our hyung…

We have to always look at the Oyo to determine where there is a Nage in the Bunkai.

I am looking forward to coming up to meet with you and do a seminar for you and your students…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Master Penfil

Do your gup students learn breakfalls and throws? How do you teach these to students? How do you connect these techniques with traditional Tang Soo Do curriculum?

upnorthkyosa

Reaction score
We work on break falls from time to time, but not as often I we should. The locks-Ju Jutsu and the throws-Nage are all through the Hyung/Kata, and we train them constantly. Every class that I teach, I take time to work on specific applications with each student.

My students are promoted up the ranks at a much slower pace then most because they are required to have a complete understanding of the Hyung at the time of testing, as opposed to simply being able to perform the movements in sequence.

Sometime we will go through every Hyung that the students know, while other times we will hone in on one hyung and work it to death. I think that when training Hyung, “Less is More”. Training all of the Hyung in an evening is great for cardio, and a brief overview of the whole system, but training the same Hyung over and over, and working the applications with a partner is truly the best way to learn Hyung…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!