My Therapuetic thread on moving to Thailand

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm moving to Thailand in about a week and I'm a bit freaked out. It's pretty scary dropping everything you've been doing for 8 years and everything and leaving your nice safe quiet life behind to start something totally new in a strange country. Oh man, even though I've been there before it's a weird feeling knowing you're moving there....

Things I'm looking forward too:

1. Movies, believe it or not Bangkok has nicer movie theatres than North America. And the tickets are only around $3 Canadian. And there's no waiting in line! You buy your seats and they are reserved for you. The only bad part is Hollywood movies have Thai subtitles along the bottom. There was one theatre I went to that cost MORE than North American prices but there's a reason for that. Your seat at this theatre is a big luxurious leather lazy boy that comes with a remote control to go back and raise your feet, it also comes with a pillow, blanket and socks all individually sealed in their own little plastic bag. You have a little table beside you and you can order alcohol, drinks and snacks. They also have a love seat version for couples.... I can't wait to watch the new Lord of the Rings in this theatre!

2. Food, dear lord I swear I'm moving there for the food. It's so plentiful and cheap and there is so much choice... I'm so sick of all the fast food crap I'm forced to eat in North America because I'm always on the run. In Thailand you can get fast healthy food for next to nothing. And if you want other types of food it is usually pretty authentic. Like if you want Italian and you find an Italian restaurant it will be run by an Italian guy straight from Italy that cooks things like they do there... yum. Not the "North American" watered down version.

3. Heat, I'll be happy to not have to go through another Canadian winter for a few years.

4. Professional training, it will be awesome having access to so many places and camps to train at.

5. The Ocean, I had never swam in the Ocean until I got to Thailand, looking forward to doing that on a regular basis.

6. The people, they are generally alot nicer than what I'm used to... or maybe it's just that I appeal to so many Thai women and gay men... hmmm. Either way they are nicer! haha

7. Did I mention the food?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Q

Quick Sand

Hey,

Good luck in your new move. Going and living in a totally new culture is an amazing experience and it can be literally life changing. It's definitely a little scary but it's usually worth it.

I haven't been in your exact situation but when I was 13 I moved to Ukraine with my family and lived there for 6 months. Not in some "Western style" compound or hotel either, not even in the capital city. We rented a normal apartment and lived just like everyone else. No car, no microwave, no dishwasher. No malls or any of that stuff either. It was definitly a culture shock for this little North American teen. But it was the most amazing experience of my life and I didn't even want to come home again when it was time. I loved it and have been really wanting to travel again ever since. I did a little the following year but nothing since 1996. This year it's looking like I'm going to get a chance to go to Kazakhstan for close to a month next summer so I'm excited about that. (That's part of the former USSR, up near northern China and Mongolia.) I'm hoping they might have some cool sword arts or something.

Anyway, good luck, be open to new things and try to come on MT and tell us how things are going from time to time.

QS :asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is alway scarry when you just up and move to a new location.
You have been there and must have loved the place or you would not be going back.
What about work??/ Do you have a job that allows you to travel and work from a forgin country?
Anyway best of luck
Train hard and keep us informed of your progress
:asian:

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My main source of income in Thailand will be the same as it was in Canada, I will be teaching TKD. But I will also be getting involved with movies and fighting but neither of those pay much, they are just fun dreams I want to persue.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MMMMMM....Thai women

*smack* EGFAGLSDGAJKSGJKSADFJ

*as my non-asian fiancee' smacks the back of my head hard enough for my face to bounce up and down on my keyboard*

LOL

OP
Damian Mavis

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Welp I'm here! I made the big move! Man am I happy! There's a good chance I'm going to be a Roman soldier in the next big Colin Ferrel movie and I'm pretty excited about that. Shooting starts in January and I will have to undergo an intensive 2 week boot camp training on the use of Roman weaponry, talk about cool. I really hope this works out, I'll let you know!

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD