My Site is Finally Up!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks good. I particularly like the rape facts.

The one thing I would find off-putting, as a potential student, is your explanation of the fees. Coming from a martial arts background, I understand it completely - without that, I would probably have a problem with the way it's phrased, because while you are trying to contrast your rates with other places, it really looks to me more like you are putting them down than yourself up - not because you're saying it, but because you say so repeatedly how you are different. As a potential student with no background in MA, it would put me off somewhat; if I had been at one of the places that followed such practices and had left for non-financial reasons (e.g. moved, schedule, etc.), it would insult me. Yes, I would mention it - but you spend considerably more time saying how other places are bad than you do saying how you are good, and that makes it look more like you're ranting about them than raving about you - at least, it looks that way to me, especially with the link being called "Buyer Beware". You might be better off switching the focus from "they're bad" to "we're good" - I know that's what you were trying to do, but that's not the way it comes across... especially since you don't actually give your own fees, anywhere that I could see.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It looks good. I particularly like the rape facts.

The one thing I would find off-putting, as a potential student, is your explanation of the fees. Coming from a martial arts background, I understand it completely - without that, I would probably have a problem with the way it's phrased, because while you are trying to contrast your rates with other places, it really looks to me more like you are putting them down than yourself up - not because you're saying it, but because you say so repeatedly how you are different. As a potential student with no background in MA, it would put me off somewhat; if I had been at one of the places that followed such practices and had left for non-financial reasons (e.g. moved, schedule, etc.), it would insult me. Yes, I would mention it - but you spend considerably more time saying how other places are bad than you do saying how you are good, and that makes it look more like you're ranting about them than raving about you - at least, it looks that way to me, especially with the link being called "Buyer Beware". You might be better off switching the focus from "they're bad" to "we're good" - I know that's what you were trying to do, but that's not the way it comes across... especially since you don't actually give your own fees, anywhere that I could see.

I had the same sense... more a matter of shifting the emphasis to a more positive one (though what AoG says is unfortunately all too true). But he does give his rates on the home page, no? $25/month at all belt levels, isn't that right?

It's a hell of a bargain, compared with what's out there!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But he does give his rates on the home page, no? $25/month at all belt levels, isn't that right?

Whoops, missed that... I was looking on the "Buyer Beware" page, because that's where I was expecting it - with the other financial information.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whoops, missed that... I was looking on the "Buyer Beware" page, because that's where I was expecting it - with the other financial information.

Yes, and that suggests it would probably be a good idea to have that fees information on the `Buyer beware' page (or whatever that page morphs into in later versions). It certainly would have greater impact there than it does on the home page... maybe a separate window on `Fees (and what to watch out for)', something like that... but as Kacey and I both thought, it might be better to accentuate your strengths in that section and mention the other stuff more in passing... just a thought...

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats from myself as well on getting the site up. It is very nice. The mapquest link was very smart.
Some contructive criticism: It may not matter to people like us, but to draw prospective students' attention, you might consider sprucing it up a bit. A nice background for the pages, some cool looking borders... Just a thought.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the nice, uncluttered layout, AoG :tup:.

On a technical note, you might want to 'paginate' it a little more but that's a personal preference (I don't like narrow and long layouts and prefer to navigate by links).

Typically insightful and helpful advice from Kacey and Exile - the fiscal side of things passed me by as I tend to mentally filter that sort of thing out anyhow.

EDIT: the 'rape facts' shocked the heck out of me. Stunned reaction of "Really?!".

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The blue links drew me to click them before the main page dark writing caught my attention, so I found the same thing. Probably because they are on the left and we read left to right. Maybe the dark writing, the main part, could be a bit more prominant and the links more secondary?

Otherwise a really nice informative site.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice simple look, I like it. But a few points that I would change:

I agree with the above on the Buyer Beware page, it would definately put me off a school.

And I'm not sure if it is like this with all browsers, but when I first hit the main page, the nav links are below what is visible without scrolling. I hit the logo thinking it was a splash page... Best keep nav sections visible without scrolling.

Oh, and host your photo's on your server, not on Flicker :)

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!
Kacey, I will defenitely fix what you are saying. They "buyer beware" page is actually a cut and paste from a kempo site that I found a long time back. I copied that page pretty much word for word from that other site (with permission from the webmaster). I don't want to come off as negative, and I can see how it could be seen that way.

AoG

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks good but one thing is the tashing other programs as we all know it is buyer beware but instead of tashing talk about what yopu are offering at a much lower and reasonable price.

Pretty cool design Congrats

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice site
Congrats on getting it up
I like having the kids shown it will draw more kids to the program

OP
ArmorOfGod

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, I "softened" the language considerably on the Buyer Beware program, but am concerned about coming off as negative.
I am thinking about changing that page to "Frequently Asked Questions" and making it very positive towards my program and not negative at all towards other programs.
Does everyone here think that sounds better?

AoG

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Okay, I "softened" the language considerably on the Buyer Beware program, but am concerned about coming off as negative.
I am thinking about changing that page to "Frequently Asked Questions" and making it very positive towards my program and not negative at all towards other programs.
Does everyone here think that sounds better?

AoG

I think an FAQ page would be a lot better - but I would still say what you do - not what others do that you avoid. You're much better off being positve about what you do than negative about what you avoid.

I also agree with Andrew - the links (except the Rape Facts) came up below the top of the page, and if you could either move them up or make the lion image a splash that leads to the home page, it would make finding things on the site easier - and so would hosting the pictures yourself. Lots of people access the internet at work, and more and more workplaces are blocking whole categories of net sites - and picture sites like flickr are among the ones I can't get into at work. The choice of pictures is really nice, and should really help bring in students, but only if people can see them.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job. I like the pictures, and it looks like you've got a nice facility there. But I agree; the "Buyer Beware" part is a little negative. Even if you just trimmed the long paragraphs about test fees, contracts, etc. to a couple of sentences (e.g. "Many schools require you to sign lengthy contracts that you're obligated to pay even if you stop training. We don't." or "Many places require students to test often, and pay hefty testing fees. We test students only when they are ready -- and never charge them to test."), it could change the feel of it.

One thing I didn't find, though...

When are your classes?

One other side note on the "Rape Facts." A lot of the info there is dated (mid to early 90s). I don't know whether it's still accurate or not... And, personal opinion, I just feel that the way it comes across is kind of a scare tactic; "sign up or you too will be a victim!" I like and agree with having a page about self-defense concerns... But I think you need to balance informative with threat carefully.

Latest Discussions