My point about going a mile distance

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ok. To recap.

ballen said this. In a troll attempt.

"Hmmmm I've trained for actual War in the Marine Corps and that's not war. That's a sport. Perhaps we shouldn't throw around serious terms to describe a game"

i am trying to explain why to take offence with the word war is as silly as to take offence with the word martial arts. The conversation was a silly point scoring exercise. And is why i did not respond to ballens last comment.

that quote could as easily be directed at you and your beliefs.
1st it was no attempt at trolling. I have lost many friends in Afghanistan and Iraq fighting a WAR. Since Thanksgiving Ive gone to 4 suicides by vets of these same WARS. Guys that fought a real WAR and the things they saw were so bad it messed up their minds to the point otherwise normal healthy men killed themselves over the things they saw and did in WAR. We are now loosing more military members to suicide from trauma of had been in a WAR then we are loosing in the actual war. So yes I take offense to comparing a sport to WAR. Two guys going at it in a cage isn't remotely close to a war.
So take you "silly point scoring exercise"and shove it

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also object to sport fighters, martial artists, athletes, etc calling themselves/being called "warriors".

honestly this whole issue is a new concept. I was pretty happy with people calling themselves what they want pretty much.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgrace I understand where your coming from but words have more than one meaning

war·rior

noun, often attributive \ˈwȯr-yər, ˈwȯr-ē-ər, ˈwär-ē- also ˈwär-yər\

: a person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

Full Definition of WARRIOR
: a man engaged or experienced in warfare; broadly : a person engaged in some struggle or conflict <poverty warriors>

Learner's definition of WARRIOR

[count]

: a person who fights in battles and is known for having courage and skill

• a proud and brave warrior
— sometimes used figuratively

• She has been a warrior against [=she has fought hard against] social injustice.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you are not putting your *** on the line in a very literal sense (either by risking your life or being in a profession where it may be required of you) than you are neither a soldier or a warrior. People want to bask in the glow of a self-satisfied ego without the risks, dangers and hardships required to really EARN the title.

IMO, most people who strive to justify the self-ascribed "Warrior" title are wannabes...unfortunately.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That I will not debate for I personally fell you are correct
I was only pointing out that there are different interpretations in the English language
I agree if your putting your *** on the line all the time your are a warrior

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That I will not debate for I personally fell you are correct
I was only pointing out that there are different interpretations in the English language
I agree if your putting your *** on the line all the time your are a warrior
I didn't post that in response to you TS...just coincidental timing...

IMO, people don't differentiate between figurative and literal all too often, and the warrior title is loosing its meaning.

And Martial Artists can be the biggest offenders. Learning fighting skills no more makes one a "warrior" than learning how to shoot a rifle makes one a "Marine".

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No I used a funeral to make it real for you since you obviously have no idea what it's like to risk your life for something bigger then yourself.

look if you need to go to that level to win. Then you win.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly this whole issue is a new concept. I was pretty happy with people calling themselves what they want pretty much.

No they cannot. I cannot call myself a Doctor. I can call myself an Essex boy because I am. Quite frankly, how you can acusse Ballen of being a troll, I really don't understand. You are reading only what you want to IMHO.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see a LOT of disrespect going on, and I sincerely hope it stops. Like NOW. Because I really don't want to drop the Mod hammer that some of you seem to be asking for, or trying to goad others into triggering.

Let's pause a moment, and look at the rules:
knowledge to engage in mature conversation.

To participate in our online forums, you must agree to abide by our rules and policies. We encourage active debate and free speech, but remember you are our guest here. Civil and ethical conduct is required. To this end, you agree that, if asked, you will yield to the requests of the forum moderators and/or administrators. By posting, you have agreed to follow our policies.

General Rules:
· No Flame Wars. Keep it civil, please.
· Keep the language civil. No profanity.
· Please post to the correct forum, for a reason and on topic. Do not cross post to multiple forums.
· Be respectful of the other arts, and your fellow members.
· No Advertising except in the advertising forums
· If you have a problem with another member, contact a moderator to handle it.
· Take the time to explore the Help, FAQ and User CP.

The "basic rule" is in effect for discussions on MartialTalk.com:

Treat others, as you would wish to be treated. We ask that you be professional and polite to one other and respect our intention to have a forum for the friendly discussion of the martial arts. We do not wish to censor or control your opinions, but we will ensure that the policies of the board are respected. We reserve the right to delete, edit, or move/merge posts at our discretion. (Note in particular that we have restrictions on where you may post advertising and how many times you may post the same message.) If you have any questions regarding such an action, or wish to point out a violation of the letter or spirit of our policies, we ask that you please notify a moderator or administrator.

A member who is rude, excessively negative, or disruptive may receive a warning or may be suspended or banned immediately. Suspending and banning is done at the discretion of the administration team. Any abuse directed at our all-volunteer moderation/administration team, including defying the moderators/administrators to suspend or ban a member, may result in an immediate suspension or ban. Membership on MartialTalk is a privilege, not a right.
(emphasis added)

Folks, it's real simple. MartialTalk is supposed to a friendly place. A place to enlighten each other, not take shots at each other. If you can't get along with someone, use the Ignore feature. You'll see a lot less of their posts, pretty just when someone quotes them directly. Let's drop the shots, let's drop the insults, and let's focus on sharing our mutual enjoyment of the martial arts.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I see a LOT of disrespect going on, and I sincerely hope it stops. Like NOW. Because I really don't want to drop the Mod hammer that some of you seem to be asking for, or trying to goad others into triggering.

Let's pause a moment, and look at the rules:

(emphasis added)

Folks, it's real simple. MartialTalk is supposed to a friendly place. A place to enlighten each other, not take shots at each other. If you can't get along with someone, use the Ignore feature. You'll see a lot less of their posts, pretty just when someone quotes them directly. Let's drop the shots, let's drop the insults, and let's focus on sharing our mutual enjoyment of the martial arts.

Amen. We should all get along.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
"Why can't we be friends?" - War (and the Muppets on the Muppet Show in season 4) :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Although my original purpose of starting this thread was not to specifically discuss testing, rank, or promotion I've been thinking about something. From my observations and from what many people have said on this board, lots of senseis will test students when the sensei sees that they're ready. Now, in academic schooling the way testing works is this, tests are given at specifically scheduled dates and they're mandatory for the entire class. Whether or not a student is ready for the test shows in how well they do and the grade they get. So, in many of the martial arts a student gets to test when they're ready. With academic schooling it is more or less the other way around, its more along the lines of you had better be ready for the test when they give it or you will get a bad grade.

So its been said here that martial arts can't be rushed. Well how about academic schooling, that sometimes, I must say quite often, is rushed.

How about this, how about if in the martial arts if they had tests that were mandatory and that were given at regular scheduled intervals and whether or not a student was ready for the test would result in them passing or failing. Or, in academic school, if a student was only given a test when they were ready for it. After all, a teacher should be able to see if a student is ready for a test the same way a sensei should see if a martial arts student is ready, and so if tests in school were only given when a student was ready for it. That way, nobody would flunk tests.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Although I think we have discussed points of PhotonGuy"s post before it might be good to discuss it again but I think it should be in another thread if anyone would care to start one on the subject

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
How about this, how about if in the martial arts if they had tests that were mandatory and that were given at regular scheduled intervals and whether or not a student was ready for the test would result in them passing or failing. Or, in academic school, if a student was only given a test when they were ready for it. After all, a teacher should be able to see if a student is ready for a test the same way a sensei should see if a martial arts student is ready, and so if tests in school were only given when a student was ready for it. That way, nobody would flunk tests.

As a martial arts instructor I really don't need to waste my time testing people I think are going to fail, and given that the only thing that me not testing someone will do is delay their next rank, no big deal. As for academic settings that is more of logistics thing, an instructor would prefer to focus on only a certain number of classes at a given time, if you as the student can't meet the timeframe then you don't succeed. Not having a student flunk a test is not necessarily the goal of all instructors, I have been in "weeding out" classes whose difficulty was set precisely to figure out who was capable of advancing into certain majors.