My new start

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok, well. I'm not quiting TKD. BUT I found an art for me.

I had this dream that I had about wearing a white belt again. It went like this. I had this dream that I tested for my high red (1st gup/kyu) and failed (which is true). But my instructor made me go all the way back to white belt (not true ... I just kept the same rank). Anyways, I hated every minute of it. I was beginning to think that was true (eventhough I have started over before twice and didn't have a problem with it). I wouldn't put no dang white belt back on. Guess what? I'm a white belt again.

A friend of mine who is a 4th dan in Jujitsu just gave me my first lesson on his front lawn. I was totally blown away.

I don't think he would make me wear a uniform at all, really. But if he told me that I had to, I would be in a white belt. He showed me that this is an amazing art, and he didn't have to say a word. He just used techniques that totally got me by suprise (and I have been training for 5 years!). I learned that I know nothing of this art (Jujitsu). But I do know that the little bit that I did learn is AWSOME!!

I thought I'd share my experience (my reason for putting this in General MA chat). I'm also rambling a bit. It's late, and I'm SIKED hehehehe

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's awesome. It's never a bad thing to be exposed to something new. You have the right attitude when it comes to learning a new art... start from the begining.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Congrats... sometimes one has to go through different things in life to find out what they really want/need or should do. While TKD is a good art like all the others... it's not for everyone. Same with Kenpo, Jujitsu, Ninjitsu, Arnis, MMA, Aikido, Hapkido, Kung Fu, JKD, and so on ... no one art is going to fit everyone but it will fit someone. It takes time to figure out which art is going to fit you if any at all.
Good luck on your new journey. Hope you find it suits you. :asian:

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:

I had this dream that I had about wearing a white belt again. It went like this. I had this dream that I tested for my high red (1st gup/kyu) and failed (which is true). But my instructor made me go all the way back to white belt (not true ... I just kept the same rank). Anyways, I hated every minute of it. I was beginning to think that was true (eventhough I have started over before twice and didn't have a problem with it). I wouldn't put no dang white belt back on. Guess what? I'm a white belt again.

A friend of mine who is a 4th dan in Jujitsu just gave me my first lesson on his front lawn. I was totally blown away.

I don't think he would make me wear a uniform at all, really. But if he told me that I had to, I would be in a white belt. He showed me that this is an amazing art, and he didn't have to say a word. He just used techniques that totally got me by suprise (and I have been training for 5 years!). I learned that I know nothing of this art (Jujitsu). But I do know that the little bit that I did learn is AWSOME!!

I thought I'd share my experience (my reason for putting this in General MA chat). I'm also rambling a bit. It's late, and I'm SIKED hehehehe
That's great! TKD and Jujitsu go well together. It's funny, but I was in the same exact situation many years ago - red belt in TKD (2nd Gup!) with a college classmate who held a nidan in Danzan Ryu who offered lessons. I put a white belt on for nine months (until I made blue) and learned a lot! Unfortunately it was a decade before the UFC and the groundfighting craze, so I got minimal ground work in my short time. However, I did become much more proficient in my falls and rolls and much more realistic regarding the limitations of my skills.

Good luck in your training. I think you've done well.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:

Thats Great!!! Sounds like you're really happy about your new art! Its always good to be open to the other arts that are out there.

Keep training hard and enjoy yourself!!

Mike

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Awesome. Good luck on your new journey. Keep us posted on where it takes you. :)

K

kenpochad

I ve been in kenpo for about 4 years and just started BJJ gi less
and its now my 2nd love so i now what you mean

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right on, karatekid!!! Enjoy!!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your post is dripping with so much enthusiasm, I'm excited for you. Hope it's everything you're looking for. Good training!

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ju-jitsu is a wonderful art to study, I hope it is very enjoyable for you. Are you going to give up TKD completely?

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is great to hear that you have found a new art to pursue and that you are really excited about it. Will you still be continuing with your previous art? Hope all goes well for you!

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is wonderful to hear. Good Luck on your new journey. :)

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Good for you, good luck with your training. BTW that was pretty neat, that dream you had, was just thinking about the whole white belt thing heh.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Sometimes when we experience only one martial art style, we do not know how others train and fight. and when you try something else, the new art sometimes open your eyes to more things we never knew.

My son and I did shotokan for a couple of years when our Sensi left us without a teacher. A new Kempo school was being form and we sign up as new white belts. The new training was so much more for us and we fell in love learning Universal Kempo.

Today my son is now expanding his training into Judo/ wrestling(High school sport).

I use to believe " Karate " was all you need! ....Not anymore........Aloha

OP
karatekid1975

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks so much, all. No, I'm not giving up TKD. I'm doing jujitsu only once a week. But it's well worth it. I will be proudly wearing that white belt :D I can't wait till friday (my lesson night)! Oh and the TKD is still going good (even after failing my test). Jujitsu gave me a new "out-look" on TKD, and I'm so siked for both :) Yes, I do agree that both TKD and jujitsu fit well together. I'm loving it ;)

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
karatekid1975 said:
Thanks so much, all. No, I'm not giving up TKD. I'm doing jujitsu only once a week. But it's well worth it. I will be proudly wearing that white belt :D I can't wait till friday (my lesson night)! Oh and the TKD is still going good (even after failing my test). Jujitsu gave me a new "out-look" on TKD, and I'm so siked for both :) Yes, I do agree that both TKD and jujitsu fit well together. I'm loving it ;)
Glad to hear that you're doing well & that you have kept your enthusiam. Anything that gives you a new perspective on your Art is good (IMO).

Best Wishes on your journey(s),
Gin-Gin :asian:

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Your enthusiasm is making me want to see what you're doing! :) I love watching Juijitsu as it is. It does look kewl! Have fun! :boing1: :boing2:

K

Kempogeek

Continued success KK1975. Who knows, maybe cross training in JuJitsu is what you needed to pass your future exam. Then again, Im sure you already have the knowledge to pass. Good luck on yet another martial arts path. Keep us posted......Steve

Latest Discussions