My first real jonior instrutor instructing

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
So I am a junior instructor,but I usually train with my Sensei and the other junior instructor and never really with the lower ranks. Just no time, to go to there classes due to work and school. So I got to administer my first test. my job was to tell the student what to do and to see if he did well on ehat he was told. all the wile my sensei was watching and grading him. Then we collaberated on what his score should be and if he should progress. My fear was that if i said he did good and my sensei said he did poorly, it would look bad on me and witch it would. Anyways i administered the test and told my sensei what it thought and he agreed. The kid passed. he is now a yellow belt. he knew his stuff, just needed polish, but who dosn't need a little polish. Anywho, i assume this test wasn't just for the student, ut for me as well on how good of a instructor I was by seeing the tech. done Properly or not. i assume i passed as well. :asian:

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Good job :D I had a similar experience a few weeks ago where I had to teach a new guy his first form. Later that same class he was asked to execute it in front of the class and he did pretty good! So I was proud of him. That same kid is one of those guys who won't really punch you when attacking. I worked with him for almost 30 mnutes on how to really hit someone when training. So a little while later Sensei calls him up to help him demonstrate something and he says "ok throw this punch" and he just drills Sensie right in the chest (he was supposed to wait until he finished describing the technique haha) but the Instructior was impressed that he actualyl did it :D attaboy, Seth LOL!!!

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
There is nothing like the feeling you get when someone that you have worked with does well. If I may offer you both a bit of advice on your new journey. Your opinions now will mean alot to your juniors. Please find atleast one positive thing to stress to the students you work with at every class as nobody wants to leave a workout feeling like they are worthless.

Good Luck!!!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
a 4yr old in the "tiny tigers" class today was so concerned about being good, that asking "Am I being good" 10 times was his only fault LOL. I re-assured him 12 times that he was :D

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
he was presented his yellow belt last night and I with my most improved patch (see other thread) anywho he felt good when he got to put on the same color as me....he is older than me and he still looks up to me...

R

rainbows

I had to teach my first TKD class last friday afternoon, as the instructor who was supposed to take it never turned up. I was really nervous at first, but got more settled into it as the class went on. At the end, the 2 senior grades came up to me and said I did a good job with the class, and they hoped I'd take more.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sin said:
So I am a junior instructor,but I usually train with my Sensei and the other junior instructor and never really with the lower ranks. Just no time, to go to there classes due to work and school. So I got to administer my first test. my job was to tell the student what to do and to see if he did well on ehat he was told. all the wile my sensei was watching and grading him. Then we collaberated on what his score should be and if he should progress. My fear was that if i said he did good and my sensei said he did poorly, it would look bad on me and witch it would. Anyways i administered the test and told my sensei what it thought and he agreed. The kid passed. he is now a yellow belt. he knew his stuff, just needed polish, but who dosn't need a little polish. Anywho, i assume this test wasn't just for the student, ut for me as well on how good of a instructor I was by seeing the tech. done Properly or not. i assume i passed as well. :asian:
Every class/drill/application...whether a student or teacher is a 'test.' The important thing is that you use the 'pass/fail' information as feedback on what to duplicate as a technique (whether martial arts technique or teaching technique), modify/improve or throw away and find a new way....

Keep training as an artist and as a teacher and you will look forward to those 'tests' instead of dreading them because it is all about learning NOT proving during training.

In self defense/application - whole different ball of wax.

Latest Discussions