my concerns about bob barr

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
while i'm not excited about either of the big two candidates, i can't bring myself to vote for barr either even though i am philisophically libertarian. here are some of my concerns with the lib. candidate this season:

(all bolds are copy/paste from http://www.ontheissues.org/Bob_Barr.htm)

Criticizes efforts to restrict rights of homosexuals. (Jun 2008)
Voted YES on banning gay adoptions in DC. (Jul 1999)

huh? which is it?

Supports anti-flag desecration amendment. (Mar 2001)

regardless of personal feelings about flag desecration, it should be protected as freedom of expression.

Voted NO on funding for alternative sentencing instead of more prisons. (Jun 2000)
Voted YES on making federal death penalty appeals harder. (Feb 1995)
More prisons, more enforcement, effective death penalty. (Sep 1994)

more prisons cost A LOT of money, especially considering the number of drug war casualties they contain, & the death penalty has never been proven to be an effective deterrent.

In Congress, a strong supporter of the War on Drugs. (Dec 2003)

'nuff said.

Let schools display the words "God Bless America". (Oct 2001)
Supports requiring schools to allow prayer. (Jan 2001)
Supports a Constitutional Amendment for school prayer. (May 1997)

theocracy is not libertarianism.

Voted NO on raising CAFE standards; incentives for alternative fuels. (Aug 2001)
Voted NO on prohibiting oil drilling & development in ANWR. (Aug 2001)

i don't object to these votes on libertarian standards, but on environmental ones.

Voted YES on banning physician-assisted suicide. (Oct 1999)

if someone wants to check out, let 'em. it's their right.

Regrets voting for the USA PATRIOT Act. (Dec 2003)

that's great he regrets it, but the patriot act is the single largest governement assault on personal liberty in a long time. voting for it in the first place is a major concern of mine.

in summary, his voting record indicates that he is an economic libertarian but not a social libertarian. i just can't get on board at this time.

jf

I prefer not to just vote for a party.

I like to understand the party and the individual both. They are a package. (* One can read what they want into the last line. ;) *)

I do not like the Republican nor the Democratic Parties right now nor the people they have selected to run. I do like the fact that the Libertarian Party actually cares enough to register in all 50 states and not just the big ones. They want to give everyone the change to vote for them.

But I have problems as mentioned in the quote post with Barr.

I am really up in the air this year, as I have not found a fourth party I can get behind nor an individual person.

OP
jarrod

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm not familiar with market anarchism, & honestly probably won't get around to that book any time soon. could you describe market anarchism a bit?

jf

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its complex but in a nutshell, If I oversimplify it, think a libratarian mindset twords government involvement in our day to day lives with a call for privatization of a lot of "governmental services" (i.e. Law enforcement) to create market competition and quality of service instead of complacency and the status quo.

But thats a picture painted with broad strokes, its more complex than that.

Latest Discussions