My computor lets me do one topic/forum talk ..Help?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, My computor lets me do one forum site than cuts me off?

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Do I have a virus? Now I am on AVG program. Computor says "Error report"......Help not sure what I can do here......I need to return to this site on and off..........Please let me know some ideas/sugguestion to use here? ............Aloha

It is getting hard to post here..........

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you be more specific?

What type of error are you getting? In what way are you being cut off?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, try to clean up files on your computer - if you're running Windows XP, this is easy to do - Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Do this even if it says you don't have a lot of files to clean up. Restart your computer and run a virus scan (if you have the software - if you don't, turn off your computer and go buy some right away and install it). Address any issues you need to on the scan report.

Clean out your browser's cache - see the other thread on problems with the MT upgrade to learn how, then do Disk Cleanup again and then defrag and restart.

If that doesn't help, ask another geek.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Along with shesulsa's recommendations; please install adaware, too. Simply stated, it's the most effective and reliable spyware cleaner available.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In addition to what's already been suggested: run your AV and spyware scans from safe mode...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some things to try:
scan for viruses.
scan for adware
verify firewall settings are ok
clear cookies and cache
scandisk & defrag your HD

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Thank-you ! I do have an anti-virus program- AVG. Just a minute ago I was attack by another virus on this site, sharing a thread about a video and music. My computor alerted to the virus.

I will try the advice above.....thanks.....for now I will stop coming here too martial talk forums. ...........Aloha

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Which thread?
If there is an external thread trying to infect systems, we need to know so we can remove it.

As to MT, the sites clean, I guarentee it. I'm running antivirus on the server, and have access locked tight.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
True. But unless the site has been compromised (and I'm paranoid on the security side), viruses aren't coming from us. A remote link, maybe, but, the behavior mentioned earlier sounds like spyware to me, and that's also something we don't use.

:)

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I click on General Martial arts......look for "cool music with video" than I click on the video watch it and was attack by a virus....and my computor AVG give the alert of a virus. Hopes this helps.....still new in how to use computors. ...........................................Aloha

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, I click on General Martial arts......look for "cool music with video" than I click on the video watch it and was attack by a virus....and my computor AVG give the alert of a virus. Hopes this helps.....still new in how to use computors. ...........................................Aloha

That's a link off-site, isn't it?

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
First, try to clean up files on your computer - if you're running Windows XP, this is easy to do - Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup. Do this even if it says you don't have a lot of files to clean up. Restart your computer and run a virus scan (if you have the software - if you don't, turn off your computer and go buy some right away and install it). Address any issues you need to on the scan report.

Clean out your browser's cache - see the other thread on problems with the MT upgrade to learn how, then do Disk Cleanup again and then defrag and restart.

If that doesn't help, ask another geek.

I try this and still the same problems..server sends error and shut down site...thank-you and It just happen a few minutes ago.....Aloha

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
still learning said:
I try this and still the same problems..server sends error and shut down site...thank-you and It just happen a few minutes ago.....Aloha

That's not a problem with Martialtalk then, thats either the link, or by the sounds of things, something installed on your computer.

Does this problem happen anywhere else? or just on that one link?

Have you run adaware and spybot? If not I'd reccomend giving those a try.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Moizilla send error reports saying it needs to shut down. Does this helps, everytime I log on here.

I just restart evertime, but can only do one comment. ....thanks....Aloha

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hit both the links in that thread and didn't get a warning.
Tried with both IE and FireFox while running AVG.

Sounds like the virus is on your system.

Make sure that AVG is upto date, then do a full scan of your system.
If this fails, you may want to contact someone locally who can do a more indepth check.

If AVG comes up clean,
get a spyware checker and do a deep scan.
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Also, try a different browser. Mox may be corrupt and need a reinstall/update. Which build are you running?

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Have you run adaware and spybot? If not I'd reccomend giving those a try.

I've typically run just AdAware; but, I recently got a bit of spyware, SideSearch I believe, that was caught only by SpyBot S&D. I strongly recommend using both.

C

CrankyDragon

Most of our computers at work are whacked out and maintained by idiots.

Ive experienced exactly what you describe.

Try checking the box that says "Keep me logged in" where you enter your username and password. For some reason the cookie was getting dropped. Dont know, dont care, it wasnt my computer, and that appeared to solve it.

Additionally, upgrading your IE or switching to Firefox may solve the problem totally (Read: the above may just be a work around solution).

Please try that and post back with results.

HTH,
Andrew