My body is broken and I need advise.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
(My pain tolerance is also much higher - when I do get injured, my response is not "oh my god, it hurts!", but "man, I hope this doesn't make me miss out on training.")
I think some of this comes from your current mindset. When you're training, you're accepting the chance of injury, so the body's prepared for it and there's less physical pain.

OP
B

Bayroum

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Plenty of overweight people train. Plenty of people stop being overweight because they started training. And a good school will adapt.

If you have to be in a low horse stance, for instance, no one's expecting a newcomer (even if you've got experience), who is out of shape, to hold a good horse stance. They'll expect you to hold it a bit beyond struggling, probably closer to 45 degrees than 90, with going in and out of it. Same for most other stuff.

You can wait until you lose weight, which is fine, but you can also use martial arts to help that out.

I am gonna talk to a Wing Chun instructor soon.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is healthy because I have no damage. I found a scan from 2020 of my knee and a report. It states my ligaments and tissue is all in good shape.

But still, uncomfortable. I say if I would train it for a longer period of time again, I would be fine. But last time I tried with overweight, it was super hard on my joints and legs. Try being in that stance at my weight not having trained in ages.

I must lose weight otherwise martial arts is not doable for me in a safe and enjoyable manner.
Stance training can be done at any weight. The key thing to focus on is the height of the stance. Don't go lower than what is good for you. Raise your stance if you feel too much discomfort. It shouldn't feel like things are about to breaking. raise your stance if you feel that. The static stances will strengthen you knees so long as you don't overdo it. Dynamic stances are probably risky at this stage. Ease into that since you are overweight.

At this point strengthen your knees so that the knees can better handle you weight.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,

I was not trying to indicate that boxing is not technical, I know it is. I did it in the past. But the variety of techniques is not as " large " as in Karate for example, since you are not using arm bars, legs, knees, elbows and so on. I personally love boxing though.

Thank you for your input. I guess about WT I just have to give it a try.

Thanks for the positive words!

My main goal is to somehow get rid off the 40 kg I weight too much, which is quite a lot. It bothered me a long time.
I am not expecting the doc to say too much since after my accident, I was checked out by docs anyway and there was no cartiladge or join damage. I am hoping for him to prescribe me a therapy so strengthen my muscles and such before I hop back into the world of martial arts.
Therapy = strength training = going to the gym. A Lot of this is on you. You have to do it yourself. That is how the lifestyle changes happen.

OP
B

Bayroum

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Therapy = strength training = going to the gym. A Lot of this is on you. You have to do it yourself. That is how the lifestyle changes happen.
Yeah. True.

I found a Wing-Chun school I am gonna start in soon.

Mider

Brown Belt
Reaction score
just my opinion so please don’t take it as expert advice

Go to a dr, maybe a good physical therapist and or personal trainer. Do some training possibly movement training or aquatic training that’s easy but will strengthen you

and find a Good gym…whoever owns or runs the gym should be making sure no one is hurting anyone on purpose or being stupid. Injuries do happen though