Music Lyrics are Dumbed down!

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gordon Rose was a famous Orchestra conductor who loved collecting vintage motorcycles. A friend was looking for a classic BSA Thunderbolt so we headed over to Gordon's house. We pulled into the driveway to the soundtrack of Sticky Fingers by the Rolling Stones. After taking a wander around and viewing all the classic and vintage bikes in his collection we made our way back to the car. Rubber Soul by the Beatles replaced the Stones as Gordon Rose shared his thoughts:

"Oh, so you two prefer listening to electric nursery rhymes" 🤣

My friend was livid, but I laughed out loud. Mr. Rose had shared a thought-provoking observation - I often wonder what he would have made of the current state of popular music???

Last edited:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Music has a certain likeness to Martial Arts. And not just the “martial arts are different compared to each other.”

Music is different compared to other kinds of music, too.

We listen to music and we know what we like. But most of us aren’t musicians, we aren’t writers of music, we aren’t writers of lyrics.

Professional musicians and professional writers of music have a different idea of music than we do. And thank God they do because we all like listening to the music that they make and that we like.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Music has a certain likeness to Martial Arts. And not just the “martial arts are different compared to each other.”

We listen to music and we know what we like. But most of us aren’t musicians, we aren’t writers of music, we aren’t writers of lyrics.

Professional musicians and professional writers of music have a different idea of music than we do. And thank God they do because we all like listening to the music that they make and that we like.
I think a bit (or a lot) of knowledge about music theory really enhances one’s appreciation and even expands your tastes beyond the usual major/minor, ‘oh baby, baby, baby, I love you’ type music.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
McCartney‘s Wings actually wrote a song called ‘Silly Love Songs’.

I’ve noticed that some of the greatest bands rarely sing about ‘love’ and some never sing about it at all which I find really refreshing. It’s a lazy topic of choice.
the song was the reply to Lennon's dismissal.

while love might be a lazy topic, it's one most people can relate to. in all aspects, new love, old love, rocky love, broken love.
Stalker love.....

Daniel Levitin suggests that music was instrumental in human evolution.
and like there is but one story to be told, there are only 6 songs to be sung, according to him (The World in Six Songs, I believe, great book.)

Not everybody sets a major poet to music. (Re: Ode to Joy)
but there are literary gems hidden in modern music still.
Or socially relevant topics:

I would totally use music lyrics to teach language arts and poetry.

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the song was the reply to Lennon's dismissal.
And an entertaining one.
while love might be a lazy topic, it's one most people can relate to. in all aspects, new love, old love, rocky love, broken love.
Stalker love.....
Aren‘t things like friendship, political ideas, bringing up kids, buying a new car etc just as relatable.
Daniel Levitin suggests that music was instrumental in human evolution.
And Prof Stephen Pinker believes it is a simply neural cheese cake; a delightful consequence of the wiring of our brains but like cheese cake, of no nutritional value! We’ll only know if this is the case when we finally meet aliens…just before they eat us!
and like there is but one story to be told, there are only 6 songs to be sung, according to him (The World in Six Songs, I believe, great book.)
Just like there are only seven story lines: monsters, rags to riches, the quest, an odyssey, rebirth, comedy, and tragedy.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

the thing is - like in MA - once you peel the snobbery away, music is music.
Otherwise, crossovers wouldn't be possible.
There would be Rollover Beethoven, no Pop goes Rock, Quen, and Beatles and what have you reimagined by the symphonies of the world.
In all pursuits in life, the worst critics are the ones cloistered in their self constructed ivory towers.

A little like my dad (bless him):
Horses always have been the driving force, the live blood of his family. When he broke his collar bone falling off a horse, he was babied and nursed. When his older brother sprained his ankle playing soccer, he had to deal with it.
Fast forward a couple of decades and the family enters the new era. My dad and his brother partner up to buy a racehorse. (Uncle was running the family farm, so the upkeep was minimal)
My sister had picked up riding, being the most horse crazy kid in the family.
We never got a pony. 'Dog Biscuit' as my dad dubbed them.
it took a long while before my sister received a warmblood to do horseshows with. Because my dad cherished Thoroughbred horses. And that horse was a TB cross.
So yes, quite the snobbery going on, while being 'horse lovers' the scope was really narrow.
And that is how some experts are.

The really successful musicians can cross over with ease.
The old masters freely sampled folk music into their works, adapted other composers.
the rest faded away.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And an entertaining one.

Aren‘t things like friendship, political ideas, bringing up kids, buying a new car etc just as relatable.

And Prof Stephen Pinker believes it is a simply neural cheese cake; a delightful consequence of the wiring of our brains but like cheese cake, of no nutritional value! We’ll only know if this is the case when we finally meet aliens…just before they eat us!

Just like there are only seven story lines: monsters, rags to riches, the quest, an odyssey, rebirth, comedy, and tragedy.
peel the layers back. it's one story. ;)
Buying a new car - love story
Friendship - love story
I recommend this book thou 10/10

OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A song that always makes me cry, in a way no love song ever could, is ‘The Trees’ by Rush.

It’s is a tale of subjective inequality felt by ’the maples’ compared to ‘the oaks’. The maples feel the oaks are too greedy and the ‘grab up all the light’, but the oaks say it’s just they way they’re made and they can’t help their nature (the bit like the fable of the ‘frog and the scorpion). So the maples, after much complaining decide to form a union to legally bring about the equality they deserve. They thus pass a noble law that prevents further ‘oak oppression’. And so the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw.😭

It’s the profundity and noble means of bringing about social change for the ’needs of the many’ that make me emotional in a way ‘Wrecking Ball’ never could (although I bet Miley had a few tears in her eyes after a few swings on that cold steel ball!)

Last edited:

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A song that always makes me cry, in a way no love song ever could, is ‘The Trees’ by Rush.

It’s is a tale of subjective inequality felt by ’the maples’ compared to ‘the oaks’. The maples feel the oaks are too greedy and the ‘grab up all the light’, but the oaks say it’s just they way they’re made and they can’t help their nature (the bit like the fable of the ‘frog and the scorpion). So the maples, after much complaining decide to form a union to legally bring about the equality they deserve. They thus pass a noble law that prevents further ‘oak oppression’. And so the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe and saw.😭

It’s the profundity and noble means of bringing about social change for the ’needs of the many’ that make me emotional in a way ‘Wrecking Ball’ never could (although I bet Miles had a few tears in her eyes after a few swings on that cold steel ball!)
The Climb is a good song by her.
And Flowers is rather deep (once you know the backstory)
And I cannot stand the woman. :rolleyes:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I pretty much like every genre of music and try to appreciate it for what it is and who it’s for.

out of curiosity, how many current bands (as in have released an album within the past 5 years ) can you guys name? 😂

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I’ve stopped saying that recently because I don’t really know people like her. I still feel it inside though 👿
I try, honestly, I do.
But I don't like her. I am probably wrong, she might be a delightful person in private.
And I try not to dislike people.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So where do you sit with Rap?
depends.
Some I want to spork my eardrums out (Oh, I see you found a rhyming dictionary....)
other artists are a revelation.
And I realized that I can't hear as fast as good rappers can perform.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I pretty much like every genre of music and try to appreciate it for what it is and who it’s for.

out of curiosity, how many current bands (as in have released an album within the past 5 years ) can you guys name? 😂
Not many, I don’t follow music much. And I’d rather watch a band perform on TV than see them live. (worked too many concerts)

But I know Cold Play and the Stones released albums in the last five years.

Latest Discussions