Mushin as a Trainable Practise

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I blame Japan for this. They sort of ruined things by taking the fun out.

Chan literature is full of funny stories that don't make much sense. And the secret is laughing at the people who try to. There is just no need and the training is meant to lead you to that.

But no, the Japan Empire had to tell pilots "you must be Zen...now go crash into that ship. Here's some rice wine".

I watched some movie about the suicide torpedo guys in WWII...try being mushin in one of those death cannisters.
Zen had nothing to do with Kamekazi. The blame for that can be placed solely on fanatical Nationalism and facisim. Admittedly, they did twist the samurai code to fit their purposes. " go crash your plane for the Emperor and your country, because that's what a good samurai would do....besides we will arrest and torture your family if you dont."
Zen along with other religions ended up being the prescription in the after math.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Zen had nothing to do with Kamekazi. The blame for that can be placed solely on fanatical Nationalism and facisim. Admittedly, they did twist the samurai code to fit their purposes. " go crash your plane for the Emperor and your country, because that's what a good samurai would do....besides we will arrest and torture your family if you dont."
Zen along with other religions ended up being the prescription in the after math.
Buddhist Zen had a lot to do with the Kamikaze, as in the practices in Japan in the 1930s and 40s.

This guy, Harada Daiun Sogaku, blended Soto and Rizai Zen into, basically, death march orders to doomed soldiers.

Suicide squads. Like I said, they took all the fun out of Chan.

1701756042788.jpeg

Important book: Zen at War - Wikipedia

1701755937707.jpeg

Attachments

• 1701756123169.jpeg
    1701756123169.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 7
OP
Gyakuto

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, you should both share your profound and novel observations on Zen with the author of the original article in the hope she shares them with the wider Zen community. I’m sure they’d find them very insightful.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Buddhist Zen had a lot to do with the Kamikaze, as in the practices in Japan in the 1930s and 40s.

This guy, Harada Daiun Sogaku, blended Soto and Rizai Zen into, basically, death march orders to doomed soldiers.

Suicide squads. Like I said, they took all the fun out of Chan.

View attachment 30396

Important book: Zen at War - Wikipedia

View attachment 30395
I'll have to look into reading that book. However if it was only a small handful of Roshi then that would be the exception not the rule and to be expected during the time. The number I get is about 77 thousand Buddhism temples in Japan. I would expect at least 5 percent to be openly nationalistic. That's still a small number.
But thanks for the info, it deserves more reading.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know, you should both share your profound and novel observations on Zen with the author of the original article in the hope she shares them with the wider Zen community. I’m sure they’d find them very insightful.
Not sure if it was the intent but that reads as sarcasm.
I said nothing profound. Zen is simple, eat when eating, sleep when sleeping.(Suzuki) Now, "easy" is a total different thing. It's very hard to do.
But as martial artists we experience Mushin frequently. Sparing or kata, when the rest of the world disappears, time stands still and your focused on the task.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Bears? Our most dangerous ‘indigenous’ mammals are (American) grey squirrels.

The only good thing about Britain is we are, in every way, ‘beige’. No true extreme weather, no true extreme political views, no true extreme violent crimes, no true extreme geological features. People with alternative lifestyles can walk around (hand in hand) anywhere without fear of (open) abuse, we don’t have guns etc. It’s beige, beige, beige and I for one, like that.

But honestly, it’s an awful place. You’d really hate it so stay where you are as it’s probably much better…honestly.
Sounds a lot like Seattle.

Not sure if it was the intent but that reads as sarcasm.
I said nothing profound. Zen is simple, eat when eating, sleep when sleeping.(Suzuki) Now, "easy" is a total different thing. It's very hard to do.
But as martial artists we experience Mushin frequently. Sparing or kata, when the rest of the world disappears, time stands still and your focused on the task.
I think you might be right. Approximately 73.8% of Gyakuto's posts are sarcastic, and some of them are even a little funny. For a Brit.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really did like that article, especially the part where she was angry it took her so long. Bodhidharma said most people are like her.

The part about "first and only anxiety attack" was a bit naive. I'm sure that's not true

But, one of the hallmarks of the discipline is seeing anxiety attacks coming from a mile away. And seeing other people in the midst of it.

If you haven't had a decent conversation with your anxiety, you don't know Zen.