MT Superman Returns Poll

What did you think of "Superman Returns"?

• Freakin Sweet!!!

• Worth Shelling the cash!

• Average.

• Wait for the video!

• Freakin Lame!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish they would have gave this movie it's own 2 legs to stand on. Basing it off of Superman 2 is lame and you hurt the franchise.

Batman Begins did it correct by having no relation to ANY of the other Batman movies.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is what's floating around the blogs true?

That "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" has been changed to "Truth, Justice, and All That Stuff" ?

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
Is what's floating around the blogs true?

That "Truth, Justice, and the American Way" has been changed to "Truth, Justice, and All That Stuff" ?
Yep, but, Perry White said it when he asked... "I wanna know if he still stands for Truth, Justice and All That Stuff" :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nevada_MO_Guy said:
My advice would be to keep the mind open and the bladder empty, when/if, you go see it in the theaters.

But, I love those SUPER $20.00 tubs of popcorn :popcorn:and the Giant $8.00 52 oz. Soft drinks :drinkbeer and $4.00 boxes of candy at the theater...

ok if you say so... no drinks.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I saw it. I have mixed feelings.
It was nostalgic to hear the old music and hear lots of the same lines that were in the old movies but at the same time I didn't feel like Routh really made the character his own. It seemed more like an imitation of Reeve's performance. He did do a great job of imitating Clark Kent from the originals.
Spacey is a great actor although so is Gene Hackman and i don't think i liked this performance of Lex better than the old. Too bad they didn't come up with a different villain for this movie.
This Lois lane looks more like I imagined her to look but i thought the performance was so-so.
I am glad I saw it but probably won't see it again unless an extended version comes out.
Some of the effects were great while some weren't very real looking.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I finally saw it and it was something that I should have waited a few months to go see at the dollar movie theatre.
I can't stand Bryan Singer for the life of me.
He is the reason why "You don't hire non-comic book fans to direct comic book movies." Where is Sam Raimi when you need him??
Brandon Routh I can live with. Kate Bosworth as Lois was terrible casting. And the kid......oh god....i wont EVEN go there.

Nice special effects that's about it.

Phadrus00

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well I saw it over the long weekend and I liked it. I went in and sat down with an open mind and was entertained! Was it perfect..No. The actor playing the son was completely uninspired and I got the sense several times that the director was trying to accomplish something with a scene with him and it never happened. But I was still entertained! I loved Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor! The effects were wonderful and Brandon Routh was an amazing Superman!

I think it did the franchise proud!

Rob "Can't wait for Spiderman 3!"

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well- overall, we liked it........but I'm still not sure I like the kid out of wedlock and shacking up by Lois Lane parts......sign of the times I guess......

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Average, I have an "we'll see" attitude about bringing back and redoing good movies.

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not bad.

Being an old guy, my favorite parts were the inclusion of two actors from the old Superman TV series. Noel Neil (Lois for most of the series) played the old widow Lex fleeced, and Jack Larson (Jimmy Olson on the series) played the bartender. It was kind of neat to see the first Jimmy and the current Jimmy acting in the same scene.

I read the paperback before seeing the movie, and was somewhat disappointed to see that they left out some of the things which would underscore Clark's feeling out of place (Ma Kent's taking up with a neighbor and preparing to sell the farm and move to Montana, Jimmy's serious drinking problem, etc.) Still not too bad.

I didn't like that Superman could lift a Kryptonite-laced island and heave it into space while still having a sliver of Kryptonite left inside of him (the part Lois didn't get out and was removed at the hospital). Won't keep me from buying the DVD, though.

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Randy Strausbaugh said:
I didn't like that Superman could lift a Kryptonite-laced island and heave it into space while still having a sliver of Kryptonite left inside of him (the part Lois didn't get out and was removed at the hospital). Won't keep me from buying the DVD, though.
Hey Randy,

I think Lois got all the kryptonite out of him, because he got better, flew above the clouds to soak up some sun before dive bombing the new continent.

I thought the kryptonite came from pieces that were still growing as he was lifting everything up-up-and-awayyyyyy, and they just grew and slowly impaled him.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just watched the original superman movie again to get a comparison.
I thought Reeve added more personality and charm to the character(s) and portrayed a greater personality difference between Clark Kent and Superman.
There were some great effects in the new movie and some great scenes but overall I thought the original had more charm.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw it in the IMAX 3D ... What is weird, is that there are only four scenes in 3D ... put on the glasses, take off the glasses, put on the glasses, take off the glasses. WTF?

I wish they had actually built a boat. I imagine with the budget they had, they could have at least done a 'bigature'. The CG of the boat were poor, I think.

The plot and characters, were essentially, not spectacular, I thought.

But ... the score ... was Outrageously Awesome. With sequels / prequels they always need to work with the existing score. The John Williams score, like all of his scores, was superb. The adaptations made in this film kept the score so close to the original, yet also, so new, just blew me away.

In my opinion, the music was the best part of the film.