moy yat gerk jong

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stumbled across this and figured I'd post it for any M.Y. lineage folks on here.

Interesting to see other interpretations of this training apparatus.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting stuff. Will comment more later when more of the video works for me!

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting to see and I appreciate the subject of this video's humility. There are not a lot of videos that I know of pertaining to the tri-pole apparatus in Wing Chun. It is a traditional device, though it wasn't taught broadly and it or similar devices exist in other southern systems.

I claim no expertise in this device, but there are other kicks that I normally associate with this form than the one he is using. Maybe other videos of this nature will show up, though.

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting to see and I appreciate the subject of this video's humility. There are not a lot of videos that I know of pertaining to the tri-pole apparatus in Wing Chun. It is a traditional device, though it wasn't taught broadly and it or similar devices exist in other southern systems.

I claim no expertise in this device, but there are other kicks that I normally associate with this form than the one he is using. Maybe other videos of this nature will show up, though.

True! What I see in this video is quite limited compared to what I was taught but it was interesting so figured I'd post it. :)
I'm not aware of any from our lineage but you never know! ;)

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Didn't Duncan Leung essentially replace this with the tire apparatus bolted to the wall in order to do similar kicking drills?

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
^^^^^^ Didn't Duncan Leung essentially replace this with the tire apparatus bolted to the wall in order to do similar kicking drills?

Yes. And the floor mounted tire.
But, the tri-pole jongs are alive and well with some of us.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was never taught a muk yan jong form in Yuen family Wing Chun. Instead we had drills done on single post, triple post and bamboo dummy. Triple post could be set up as in video above or in a straight line. You could also perform stop the poles (plum blossom) style. Today Yuen family has 36 Dummy form. It was rarely taught, instead other methods we're emphasize.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish I had a private yard where I could set this up. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building where the bratty neighbor kids would probably steal the poles on me!

OP
wckf92

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish I had a private yard where I could set this up. Unfortunately, I live in an apartment building where the bratty neighbor kids would probably steal the poles on me!

you can make indoor models...but you'd have to have access to somebody who is a metal-worker. I have outdoor and indoor models for leg training. But, an apartment....yeah might be kinda noisy hahaha

Latest Discussions