Mouth Piece recommendations for special circumstance.

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What would someone who has had all their upper teeth removed do for a mouth piece? They still have their lower teeth.

Any thoughts?

OP
NYFIGHTSOURCE

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
That was my recommendation to the individual.

My personal thoughts was maybe a double or the braces type would work best... but I suggested to see the dentist.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That was my recommendation to the individual.

My personal thoughts was maybe a double or the braces type would work best... but I suggested to see the dentist.
If I had to guess, I'd assume you'd flip the mouthguard over and use it on the bottom teeth. But don't quote me on that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree with Skribs. You can get a single 'boiled and formed' mouthpiece and turn it over to form for the lower teeth. I would think a double mouthpiece would irritate the upper gum line.

OP
NYFIGHTSOURCE

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Skribs. You can get a single 'boiled and formed' mouthpiece and turn it over to form for the lower teeth. I would think a double mouthpiece would irritate the upper gum line.

I will check several of mine. I know some have a harder type of material on the bottom of the mouthpiece... He should stay away from that.... in case it rubs on his gums on his upper jaw.

My thought with the double was maybe it would go around a gum line on the upper jaw. Although I am not sure what a gum line looks like without teeth. If there is a ridge... well my thought was that it will help secure the upper and lower jaw when he bites down. And hence provide the lower jaw somewhat locking into the upper jaw.

Hope he contacts his dentist. Although even when I talked to my dentist about these things.... He has no clue about contact sports... He always looks at me like I am crazy for doing martial arts.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will check several of mine. I know some have a harder type of material on the bottom of the mouthpiece... He should stay away from that.... in case it rubs on his gums on his upper jaw.

My thought with the double was maybe it would go around a gum line on the upper jaw. Although I am not sure what a gum line looks like without teeth. If there is a ridge... well my thought was that it will help secure the upper and lower jaw when he bites down. And hence provide the lower jaw somewhat locking into the upper jaw.

Hope he contacts his dentist. Although even when I talked to my dentist about these things.... He has no clue about contact sports... He always looks at me like I am crazy for doing martial arts.
My dentist made me a custom mouthpiece. Best gear investment I’ve made. And he thinks I’m crazy too. I asked him about it and he said get a Shock Doctor or something along those lines. I told him they don’t go back far enough and my back molars touch. I took a hook kick to the jaw, causing my back teeth to rub. It wasn’t bad, but it could’ve been far worse if she didn’t pull her kick.

He laughed when I told him that. Because it was a woman who knocked some sense into me. I asked him how many men does he know who can hold their leg completely vertical and smack your face like a windshield wiper. Then he nodded in agreement. That was about 2 years ago and he asks how getting beat up by women is treating me. He’s got a great sense of humor and it’s not sexist at all, as a disclaimer. He still thinks I’m crazy, but so do a lot of people, and for a lot of other reasons.

I have all of my though, so no insight beyond seeing the dentist and getting a custom molded guard.

OP
NYFIGHTSOURCE

NYFIGHTSOURCE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A couple of mine single mouth guards is pretty hard. I am not sure if that would bother someone's gums if it was flipped over. I also have some that had a really gel like area before I molded it to my teeth. So the Flip option might work for this gentleman provided he gets one with Gel...

This was a first for me being asked a question like this.... Usually it's been bridges or crowns. etc... This has been a new one. Thanks all for the help.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of mine single mouth guards is pretty hard. I am not sure if that would bother someone's gums if it was flipped over. I also have some that had a really gel like area before I molded it to my teeth. So the Flip option might work for this gentleman provided he gets one with Gel...

This was a first for me being asked a question like this.... Usually it's been bridges or crowns. etc... This has been a new one. Thanks all for the help.
Just a couple of thoughts...

The mouth guard helps lessen the risk of tooth injuries, but possibly more so helps with concussions from getting hit in the jaw. Even without top teeth, it’s helping keep the jaw from slamming into the skull.

Latest Discussions