MOTTS Thread

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
After reading Paul's rather bookish post concerning the MoTTs and leadership as well as the numerous other threads throughout MTC it is clear that there needs to be more communication amongst the "leaders" of the various splinter groups that have formed since the Professor's passing.

Openness and flexibility are the key to overcoming the adversity and laying controversy to rest. Martial arts politics isn't just nonsense to outsiders. It's nonsense to insiders too. All to often someone poses questions directed toward a person or a group and those questions are met with responses like "what's your issue with so-and-so?" and "what concern is it of yours?" Often the thread gets redirected until the thread gets so convoluted that it is no longer addressing the orginal issue.

If someone assumes the title of a leader then that person should act like a leader. Leaders must communicate clearly and openly in order to keep everyone informed and keep his credibility. Leaders must make ethical decisions and keep their reputations clean. When their reputations are questioned leaders stand tall and weather the adversity through ethical behavior and addressing the issues at hand with clear concise explanations.
They don't answer questions with more questions, and they don't hide behind other people who do the talking for them.

People will run the own organizations as they see fit. If the Modern Arnis community is going to grow. There needs to be more openness coming from the people claiming leadership.

Lamont

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lamont,
"...is clear that there needs to be more communication amongst the "leaders" of the various splinter groups that have formed since the Professor's passing."

Yes and I hope the new MartialTalk e-magazine will be the first step towards that.

Paul,
I accept. I'd love to meet the Kate who tamed the Paul.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In case people here missed my post regarding the subject, I did have the chance to "communicate" with the IMAF, Inc. recently.

I had called the # on the website, and I had called Dan McConnell (MAO on this forum), and left them all messages. Dan had called me back, as well as Master of Tapi-Tapi Brian Zewilinski (please excuse me if I misspelled his last name). I had long and meaningful conversations with both of them, and I was welcomed to stop by the Michigan Summer Camp.

I did stop in with Rich Parsons and Vince (Student/friend of mine, who also has Professor & Tim Hartman training experience). It was great to see people I haven't seen in a while. I had good conversations with the people that were there; the only person missing was Chuck Gauss who had another obligation. Even Gaby Roloff had flown in from Germany.

I had the chance to have pleasent encounters with everyone there. Did I pick up a stick? Did we talk about the "past" or the "Politics"? Certianly not; I wouldn't have brought up B.S. at one of there events anyways. I also figured that picking up a stick might be considered confrontational for my 1st meeting in years; so I decided rightfully against it. Will we ever have the chance to talk about these things, past, politics, and such? Frankly, my encounter with them was so pleasent that I could care less if I ever have a conversation about Modern Arnis politics with them.

This weekend Vince is going to Ohio (to see family), and he planned to visit Dan McConnell's school while he was there. I myself would be happy to visit any one of the IMAF, Inc. schools or seminars in the future, to visit or exchange ideas/ techniques.

Now, I am still a very happy member of the WMAA, and I choose to train and teach my Modern Arnis a bit differently then what I have seen from the IMAF, Inc. This was the most interesting part of my visit; to see that after a few years of mine and their progressions, their modern arnis and my modern arnis are noticably different. Perhaps some day I will be able to show them these differences; in a nonconfrontational environment of course.

The WMAA is still a better "fit" for me. However, it is nice to know that I can get together with other groups on occassions, without our disagreements getting the best of us.

So let this be a lesson to all of those interested in Modern Arnis; especially new students to the art. Go see everyone that you can see; if you are a IMAF, Inc. person, go see the WMAA, and other orgs. and independents. If you are WMAA, go see others that are not WMAA. It will be a great learning experience for you, and well worth your time.

In terms of "Communication," I still believe that there should be an open line. I think that overtime, we all can improve. It was clear in my experience that the IMAF, Inc. has improved their communication lines greatly as compared to the past. I think that this is great. We need to respect the fact that many of the leaders of the IMAF, Inc. are not Martial Artists full time (meaning that they have other carreers to take care of) so communication might always be a difficult issue. They seem to be contending with the issue well, it seems.

So it was a great experience; these IMAF, Inc. guys are doing there thing...

as I will do mine.

Sincerely,
Paul Janulis
:asian:

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by PAUL
...and I choose to train and teach my Modern Arnis a bit differently then what I have seen from the IMAF, Inc. This was the most interesting part of my visit; to see that after a few years of mine and their progressions, their modern arnis and my modern arnis are noticably different. Perhaps some day I will be able to show them these differences; in a nonconfrontational environment of course...

So let this be a lesson to all of those interested in Modern Arnis; especially new students to the art. Go see everyone that you can see; if you are a IMAF, Inc. person, go see the WMAA, and other orgs. and independents. If you are WMAA, go see others that are not WMAA. It will be a great learning experience for you, and well worth your time.

In terms of "Communication," I still believe that there should be an open line. I think that overtime, we all can improve. It was clear in my experience that the IMAF, Inc. has improved their communication lines greatly as compared to the past. I think that this is great. We need to respect the fact that many of the leaders of the IMAF, Inc. are not Martial Artists full time (meaning that they have other carreers to take care of) so communication might always be a difficult issue. They seem to be contending with the issue well, it seems.

So it was a great experience; these IMAF, Inc. guys are doing there thing...

as I will do mine.

Sincerely,
Paul Janulis
:asian:

Well said, Paul. I can only echo your suggestion that anyone and everyone interested in the art sample as many "flavors" as possible. The syposium organized by DocB will be a landmark event that gives everyone in attendance the opportunity to do just that. It is unfortunate that more "leaders" chose not to attend and bring their spice to the soup.

Everybody does the art a bit differently. That is the Professor's legacy to us all. The problem does not appear there. It appears in the form of negative attitude in the face peceived adversityin the form of questions raised by people outside of the various splinter groups in Modern Arnis. Working together is easier when the leaders are approachable, humble and open.

Lamont

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dan Anderson
Lamont,
"...is clear that there needs to be more communication amongst the "leaders" of the various splinter groups that have formed since the Professor's passing."

Yes and I hope the new MartialTalk e-magazine will be the first step towards that.

Paul,
I accept. I'd love to meet the Kate who tamed the Paul.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Well, it is and it isn't. You are certanly very open, but the same cannot be said for many others in leadership positions. There are still a lot of people out there that won't give any straight answers when posed with seemingly controversial questions. Martial Talk is a start. It's a place for dialog to take place. Now it's up to those that claim leadership to stand up and act like leaders, rather than children in a schoolyard fighting over who's going to be pitcher.

Lamont

norshadow1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by norshadow1
Well, it is and it isn't... Now it's up to those that claim leadership to stand up and act like leaders, rather than children in a schoolyard fighting over who's going to be pitcher.

Lamont

My last statement was not aimed at any particular person or group. It is a broad generalization illustrating of the uncooperative and often childish behavior we sometimes see in the politics of the art. Please, nobody take offense.

Lamont

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My last statement was not aimed at any particular person or group. It is a broad generalization illustrating of the uncooperative and often childish behavior we sometimes see in the politics of the art. Please, nobody take offense.

Lamont

Nice save.

OP
Brian Johns

Brian Johns

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score

Lamont

For some odd reason, I was thinking that the statements were aimed at the MOTTs, given the fact that this thread is specifically devoted to the topic of the MOTTs.

As Renegade said, nice save.

Mao

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ditto. And further, I must say that, regarding one of norshadows posts, sometimes the answer doesnt't really make a difference. There are some people who just won't be satisfied no matter what answer they get.
MAO

Latest Discussions