Most plentiful Martial Art in your area.

Which style is most plentiful in your area.

• Aikido

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • FMA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Judo/ Ju-jitsu

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Karate

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Kenpo

Votes: 19 17.1%
  • Kung Fu

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ninjitsu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • TKD

Votes: 76 68.5%
  • Unspecified/ Generic

Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
S

superdave

In the Baltimore metro area there are over 100 MA schools of various types. Here is how it breaks down. What is the plentiful style in your area?

Aikido 5

FMA 1

Judo/ Ju-jitsu 5

Karate 21

Kenpo 10

Kung Fu/ Tai Chi 11

Ninjitsu 3

TKD 37

Unspecified/Generic (Listed as Self Defense or Martial arts) 25

Now the hard work would be how to determine which of the above are a McDojo.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
You left out generic "kickboxing." That would have to come first in my area. Actually, the Santa Barbara area has a lot of martial arts schools for the size of the population. It's hard to say just what's most popular here among the real arts, since most places teach more than one style. And there are more than a few itinerant independent instructors. But the cardio-kickboxing type-thing is definitely most popular amongst people who don't know better.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some schools do teach more than one style. I counted by number of styles available rather than by number of schools.

In my area:

0 Aikido

1 FMA

7 Judo/Jujitsu

13 Karate

3 Kenpo/Kempo

2 Kung Fu

1 Ninjitus

8 TKD

7 Unspecified (Hapkido, Hwarang Do, Capoeira, Tai Chi, Muy Thai, Krav Maga, BJJ, etc.)

Perhaps due to my ignorance, some of the "unspecified" possibly belong to some of the other categories...

- Ceicei

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While we may have our share of TKD, we got more Kenpo schools than you can shake a stick at. However, They are mostly Hancock and Sepulveda based. There is a Shorinji Kempo as well.
Sean

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD of course.

I think we have about 5 TKD schools, 1 karate school, and 1 kung fu school.

Not a very broad base.

7sm

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have more kempo/kenpo schools than anything else here. They are all from the same chain out of Hawaii. Then comes TKD then grappling arts. We have a few really rare arts and one tai-chi / wushu school. I attend the only aikido school in the area.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've noticed a ton of Korean schools like TKD, Hapkido and Moo Duk Kwon. Majority Hapkido.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think if you investigate a little more, you will find that there are also quite a few Judo clubs in every metro area. They are usually non-profit, often associated with colleges or PALs, they don't advertise, aren't in the Yellow Pages and don't come up in internet searches of martial arts schools...but they are out there!

Same for boxing and wrestling. You'd be surprised!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually in my small town there's only one TKD school, but it's big. In the area is also JKD/BJJ, aikido, tai chi, and someone's special self-defense program.

OP
G

Galvatron

Taekwondo here in Jax,FL. ATA Taekwondo to be exact.
Tang Soo Do comes in 2nd.

OP
S

superdave

Originally posted by Old Fat Kenpoka
I think if you investigate a little more, you will find that there are also quite a few Judo clubs in every metro area. They are usually non-profit, often associated with colleges or PALs, they don't advertise, aren't in the Yellow Pages and don't come up in internet searches of martial arts schools...but they are out there!

Same for boxing and wrestling. You'd be surprised!

So true OFK. If you also list the YMCA programs, the list will expand quite a bit. It seems that there are a lot of MA schools out there these days. The sad reality is that many of these schools are probably McDojos.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I live in Sunnyvale, CA about 10 miles north of San Jose. In 2002 I decided to find a new school and did a survey of the local schools within about 15 miles. Note: I limited my search north to Palo Alto, east to Milpitas, south-west to Los Gatos, and to about 15 miles south which eliminated much of San Jose. I did not include city recreation dept. programs, YMCA, cardio-kickboxing, or college programs.

Here is what I came up with:

There are more than 200 dojos/clubs within 20 miles
There are more than 100 within 15 miles
There are 50 within 10 miles
There are 25 within 5 miles
There are 12 within 3.5 miles
There are 5 within 2.5 miles

TKD: 15 within 7 miles of my house. After the first 15, I stopped counting but there are probably around 50 within my target area.
Karate: 15 within the target area.
Kenpo/Kajukenbo: 14
Kung Fu: 10
Aikido: 8
Jujitsu (traditional): 6
Judo: 5
Kickboxing (Muay Thai, San Shou, real kickboxing) 4
Tai Chi: 3
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu: 2
Capoeira: 1

If there is anyone in the SF Peninsula/San Jose are looking for schools, PM me. I can send you my excel spreadsheet with school addresses, phone numbers, URLs, etc.

OP
R

RCastillo

I'm surrounded by TKD, but I'm fighting it out. Anybody know George Custers number?:rolleyes:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe Rich Parsons, or another Michigan resident can help me out with this one, but I voted TKD as having the most schools.

I would say that Japanese Karate schools would have to be a close tie, though; because there does seem to be quite a few of them around.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

We have four TKD schools in our area. Three are owned by the same person. They are allowed to buy a belt once a month. The other school is a top rated school in our bi-state area, and has also recieved recognition in excellance from the missouri state government.

Latest Discussions