Moral/Spiritual/Internal aspects of FMA

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was an equivelent of Budo in Filipino Martial Arts? If not, what kind of moral concepts exist in FMA? Are there spiritual aspects? Internal aspects? Can the practive of these arts be spiritually fullfilling? How?

upnorthkyosa

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will not speak to the spiritual aspects from the culture that some teach but I have not had the exposure.

I will speak to the enjoyment of the moves. The relaxed feeling and the at ease and in the zone feeling I get and enjoy while practicing and moving.

So, from a Zen point of view there is, but this exists in everything.

You might have to get some information from the Filipino's who post here.

:asian:

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have trained in Arnis for two years and Kali for one. From my very limited experience, I've yet to really get a grasp on an underlying honorable code or underlying moral/spiritual concept. This may totally be my failing and I seek clarification.

I have had a few hints that make me think that there might be something more to it though...

1. I was taught that the opening of Unig Zyow began with a prayer to God for protection and guidance.
2. I was also taught that "defanging the snake" was a merciful principle because it could end a fight without taking life.

Is their a Filipino name for the honorable code? If so, what does it mean?

Or is the practice of FMA an aspiritual affair?

upnorthkyosa

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Filipines is a divided country more than just by water. There is a strong Christian and strong Muslim influence as well as local religions and traditions. Some of it depends upon where the art came from and who trained in what.

The Honor I have heard and seen from some (* My limited exposure*) of the Old Generation is :

1) You lost honor if you were disarmed.
2) Your wife or mother could run in and stop a fight (* No real fighting man would hit a woman *), from going past injury where serious injury or death may be involved.
3) Prayers and devices for luck or power. (* Anting *)
4) Using control to not kill a person or damage a person but to let them know they were hit or would have been hit.
5) When two people faced off, only those two would be involved.
. . .

And what I have also heard about is that it was used in the streets by thugs, and in many areas it was not respected by the upper class, and used by field hands and the uneducated. This is why Judo and Karate became very popular as they were seen to be legitmate and more approachable by the general population.

Some Figthers would not face each for the reprecussions of their families, it would set off a blood fued, or so and so also carried a .45 and was not afraid to use it or their friends were not afraid to use their own weapons.

Some people were connected or had influential families and if you disarmed them, this would allow them to save face from being hit and or having a bruise, and their father or uncle would not have to do something to defend the honor of his family, etcetera.

So, it really does depend upon the art and the instructor, from my investigations and understandings.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
PI arts are more akin to 'tactical arts' than 'spiritual arts' as generally trained in the US.

Guys like DoxN4Cer and others who either are or studied with Philipinos in the PI will be able to explain better than I.

Generally, the internal stuff is linked to religion/muslim/tribal areas and are very exclusive training relationships - invitation only, proper introductions and all that.

Many cultural ethics/morals are codified and reinforced in the training process though so that there is still a character quality element to FMA programs usually.

These would be similar to those that most people are familiar with such as School Creeds and such.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
FMA is still a rather "young art." Other Traditional Asian systems have had centuries to evolve from the way of fighting to just the way, with a movement towards spirituality. The prayers and anting-anting come more from religious, family and social beliefs outside of the practice of fighting arts. Its like when I was in Catholic school. You have classes in math and science, etc. and you have classes in religion and go to church. but you might "pray" that you pass the Math exam!

As Mr Parson's said, it depends on the teacher. I have seen teachers who really stress religious connections with the techniques relating "Father, Son, Holy Ghost" with triangulation, etc. and teachers who teach only the combat application. It also depends on who is being taught. Most likely somebody teaching children will stress social development vs someone teaching the Navy Seals.

Latest Discussions