Monkeysphere - why society doesn't work

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
so the question remains: assuming that at least some of the Monkeysphere is truth, what can we do to improve this?

OP
S

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
It seems like there is some truth in what it is saying... we think of the little lady next door as a person but not the cable company...

However, saying that we are incapable of seeing more than 150-ish people as people seems like sort of a cop-out to me. Sort of like, well, they cut up a brain, and this is what it said, that's how we were designed, so, *shrug*, I can't help not caring about so-and-so. It's how I was designed.

I dunno, people learn by observation and imitation... there are people who seem to care about everyone... I think we just need more practice at it.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sam said:
It seems like there is some truth in what it is saying... we think of the little lady next door as a person but not the cable company...

That is because the cable company is not a person. It is a business and it's motives for existence isn't to provide cable, it's motive for existence is to MAKE MONEY and lots of it, by providing cable. They certainly would NOT provide cable if it wasn't lucrative. The little old lady on the other hand, exists, because she is the little old lady, who may be kind and compassionate, or could be bitter and cold. However, either way, her existence is NOT to MAKE MONEY, although she needs money to exist.

The people that work for the faceless cable company represent the cable company, therefore the cable company's motives are transferred to them, however, they in their own right are no different than the little old lady, but they are NOT the company. The company IS a faceless machine.

Sounds to me the article was written by some bleeding-heart idealist. Unfortunately, the world isn't that simple or generalized.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Sounds to me the article was written by some bleeding-heart idealist. Unfortunately, the world isn't that simple or generalized.

You are right, the world isn't that simple or generalized. But that does not detract from the truth that the article holds. It may not be the Complete and Entire truth about why the world works the way that it does, but then nothing can offer that. It does, however, offer a piece of the picture that I believe holds merit.

Without Ideals, we have no vision of something better. It is better to work toward an ideal and fail, then to simply give up and embrace the ugliness that the world contains. The world will always be ugly, but maybe individuals can realize small improvements in their own Monkeysphere.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i dunno that was a bit of a streach for me, a fun read but im not sure how much truth it holds

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes monkeys form groups. THis doesn't mean that there are not other monkeys out the. Humans do the same. We form groups. Most of us don't really have over 150 close friends we see often. It does not mean anything larger than that I'm afraid.

Latest Discussions