Monkey

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple months ago, I was fortunate enough to attend to seminar taught by Grandmaster The' regarding the Shaolin Monkey form. Since then, I've practiced it constantly, analyzed the hell out of it (with the help of my sifu), and integrated it into my sparring. Frankly, I absolutely love it, and was considering looking for a monkey school, but I realized that basing all my knowledge of the animal on one form might be a bit premature. Before I take any steps that might be detrimental, I'd like to know what experiences any of you have with monkey, and if you know of any resources that I might utilize to get more information on it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Monkey wasn't for me. I could pull it off, but I couldn't perform it as it should be played.

What I suggest is looking around. See what else is out there & what fits you. The one thing I will say is not necessarily specialization in one "animal" per se (nothing wrong with that!!!!), but in one training method. CLF uses the 5 Animals of Shaolin, plus a couple of others, but they are all practiced & played as CLF. Hung Ga is the same way... 5 animals, but practiced & played as Hung Ga. 50 different animals with only surface knowledge of each animal are a receipe for disaster IMHO.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good Post clfsean.

I agree, knowing 247 differnet animal forms is well and dandy, but if its all surface knowledge, a person with deep understanding of one animal may just be more skilled than you. Quanity doesn't equal quality in kung fu.

7sm

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depending on what monkey style you're learning it's an AWESOME style. Monkey is one of the most fierce styles there is ,but there is alot of false monkey out there also.

Monkey is a very hard style to find a quailty sifu in.

I've never seen Sin The's monkey ,but i have seen his Black Tiger and Mantis. I won't say anything negative ,but if you were impressed with his monkey techniques?

I really think you'll really love monkey ,if you can find a quality sifu ,which is by itself a feat.

jeff:)

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jeff... I've seen it done. It's the standard Shaolin Monkey from the Taguo Manual. There's a PDF of it on Cyberkwoon.

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do a search on tai shing pek kwar, also largely a shaolin monkey style. The gm is Grandmaster Chan and he is in Vancouver Canada. he sells a system , thgough a little exy, you can study the first 3 lvls of at home, until you get to weaponary etc. Awesome stuff and on my agenda .. now how to fit it all in???? I think I 'm going to need to cultivate some longevity!!! ;) :D

cheers

BL

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Likely good advice. However, GM Chans school has trained ( and undefeated in all comps for many yrs ) many a champoin fighter. I haven't seen the modules, but I'm gpoing to have say I'd trust it.......or him and his reputation anyway.

BL

Black Tiger Fist

Green Belt
Reaction score
Blooming Lotus said:
Likely good advice. However, GM Chans school has trained ( and undefeated in all comps for many yrs ) many a champoin fighter. I haven't seen the modules, but I'm gpoing to have say I'd trust it.......or him and his reputation anyway.

BL
There is no doubt about Chan Sau Chun's skill ,what 7* was saying that you need to seek a qualified sifu tapes do not translate techniques,power,ideals etc... well.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Black Tiger Fist said:
There is no doubt about Chan Sau Chun's skill ,what 7* was saying that you need to seek a qualified sifu tapes do not translate techniques,power,ideals etc... well.

Exactly... plus the guys that were champs from his school were training with him on a consistant, daily basis.

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dong but if he's going to grant you competancy via this method, for the first 3 lvls anyway, being he's the master ( Stress this point : of this kind of repute ) , I think is this case, I'm just going with him.

BL

S

sifu Adams

I would have to ask witch of the monkey forms did you learn. White, Drunken, ect. I am under his brother Hiang the'. I have a little more history than most and can tell you that the forms you are learning are unlike most kungfu forms you are going to find. With their Grandfather being a Grand Master they were taught form 3-4 differnt masters. In most kungfu styles their are 18 forms the the' brothers were taught example kata 5, 7, 12, 18. I tell you this because if you are looking for a good monkey school you may have trouble at first because of the differance in the level of katas you would be learning. I have the White monkey and Drunken Monkey as well as the Hsing-I monkey all have great applicantion. I have seen many monkey forms that don't have a lot of applicantions and are not to the level that Monkey forms of the The' brothers.

OP
Eldritch Knight

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone: your responses have been great so far. Even though I'm generally against it, I was actually musing about going the video route until 7* argued against it. As far as I could see, GM Chan doesn't have any US schools; am I wrong in this?

Sifu Adams, I learned Shaolin Monkey (starting with "ape-man comes out of the cave").

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
Thanks everyone: your responses have been great so far. Even though I'm generally against it, I was actually musing about going the video route until 7* argued against it. As far as I could see, GM Chan doesn't have any US schools; am I wrong in this?
Video/distance learning can be done, but it does require time in with the instructor as well. You can get certain things from watching & emulating the video absolutely, but to really "get it", you gotta feel it firsthand.

Master Chan's son has/had a school in Vancouver BC, but that's it. You can also find Monkey included in Wuzu Quan/Ngo Chor Kuen === 5 Ancestors Boxing. It's a part of it & I've seen it performed. It looked the most usable out of all the Monkey variations I've seen.